Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 29th August 2015, 07:03   #4996
BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
That's one beautiful looking Z & yes even I observed that they go at a very high values in used car market so you surely got a great deal

Btw do you find the ride to be harsh for everyday use?
Somehow I missed this note. Thanks!

The harshness/noise is part of the car, its all good as long as you don't expect to kick back, relax and enjoy the music in this car . That's not what this car does - its a high-revving high-strung sports car and driving it is a rather involved activity. This will (mostly) not be a daily driver - the bimmer will do that duty. This will be for weekends and local trips. Having said that, I've been commuting with this for a week and no its not bad at all, its a lot of fun.

I've upgraded the head unit to get GPS, backup camera and bluetooth. Posted a review with pics in the ICE -> Product reviews section of the forum.

@Cesc: It really varies. All my friends and I have got five year car loans as soon as we landed in the US, no questions asked. I got mine the day after I got the license (could have got it earlier also). No credit scores, the car dealerships (and credit unions) are all familiar with H1Bs coming from India. I just had to carry the offer letter from my company. I didn't even have pay stubs at that time. I think it also matters which company's offer letter you are carrying, if its a well known company that goes a long way. Lease is a great option too, I will definitely be leasing the next time my H1 visa renews. (for lease they usually - but not always - insist on visa validity for the term of the lease).

Last edited by rajushank84 : 29th August 2015 at 07:07.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 22:42   #4997
Team-BHP Support

Thanks, that makes sense, you went in with the right expectations. I guess only those would complain who would expect it to be a comfortable daily commuter.

Any track days planned?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 22:50   #4998
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense, you went in with the right expectations. I guess only those would complain who would expect it to be a comfortable daily commuter.

Any track days planned?
Nothing planned yet, I will probably try some local autocross first. I've only autocrossed once before and that was on a company-provided-car. I'll probably have to install at least an oil cooler before I take it to track or autocross.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 00:00   #4999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Nothing planned yet, I will probably try some local autocross first. I've only autocrossed once before and that was on a company-provided-car. I'll probably have to install at least an oil cooler before I take it to track or autocross.
Well, I think for autocross you should be fine. Most runs are less than a minute, which is not time enough to overheat the oil.

Track also, kind of take it easy and you should be fine without an oil cooler.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 22:42   #5000
BHPian

@Viper - Were you able to resolve your issues with Tesla?
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 06:55   #5001
Senior - BHPian

Got a 2015 Chrysler 200 this time from Hertz. Better car than I expected. Will keep with me for anther 2 weeks.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2015, 23:13   #5002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
@Viper - Were you able to resolve your issues with Tesla?
Yes! Its a long story. Found few Tesla owners on plugshare App to replicate the problem and video documented the charging issue at multiple locations. Escalated to service manager with uploaded videos , link to my Tesla blog and a request to reply back in writing if they cannot resolve it ASAP. Gave them 2 options, Either I'll escalate it further to regional manager, then HQ and if that doesn't work, return the car as it falls under 3 months satisfaction guarantee program from Tesla. I had a week left for that but then I had lemon option as well.

Here's his reply:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Iím very concerned with you impression and representation of Tesla and our attempts to handle your concerns.

We asked to have our electrician look at you house because your car is telling us there are issues with supply voltage.
The logs from your car clearly show us interruption.
As for the speculations created surrounding your postings, no we canít see locations and yes we must have approximate time stamps.
There are millions of line of code to sift through, without time stamps we are helpless in sorting this out.
∑ There IS an issue with your house.
∑ You do not have enough supply voltage to your house for the car and your appliances.
∑ The car will not trip your breaker, itís too smart to be an overburden. It will reduce or stop charging.

We had your car scheduled for service last week and reserved a loaner car for you.
Why did you cancel the appointment if this concern in so pressing?
I need your car in my possession for more than the half hour Iíve seen it.
I want to rule out any in car issues that I havenít been able to see in logs.
I have to assume, from all of your accounting, there is a problem in the car AS WELL as with your house.
That said, without your car this is a mute conversation.

Please call my Service Advisors ASAP so we can take your car, give you a loaner and finally get to the bottom of this.

Additionally, please feel free to copy/paste this email to your blog as it may finally show the audience we truly do care to fix your situation and we are in fact not ignoring you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Initially, most of his language was exact reproduction of his staff and electrician's. Tesla never scheduled an appointment, loaner car was a joke and we never rushed or intended to leave the service center without car getting fixed. Upon clarification, he changed his tone but was definitely not happy for the thread created in official Tesla forum. 100+ replies from Tesla owners diluting the issue down to the car itself was not in favor of Tesla service anyways. His response to that:
"Your blog, while well intended, has really created a stir in an environment that is far too hostile in the first place.

Next Morning, a loaner was dropped home and the car was picked up. Manager assured complete diagnosis and support but still wanted by wiring to be checked. To put wiring speculations to rest, I was eager to charge the loaner with my High Power Wall connector. It charged well all the way up with no voltage fluctuations or charging interruptions.

Our car was returned after couple of days, here's the fix:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concern: Customer states: vehicle charges and then stops.
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Onboard Charger General Diagnosis
Charged vehicle, wiggles trident cable under rear seat, charging stops when wiggled.
Found ground cable has loose crimp and left body harness locking tab broken and pin will
not stay seated.
Corrections: Cable - EV Inlet - Data-Ground (Trident)
Removed and replaced trident cable, tested vehicle charging, working as designed.
Part Quantity
ASY,CBL,DATA-GND,INLET,EV (1006033-00
-B)
Parts Replaced or Added
Corrections: Harness - Body - Left
Removed and replaced left body harness, wiggled trident cable while charging, vehicle
remained charging. Everything working as designed
Part Quantity
ASY,HRN,MDLS,LHD,BODY LT,PKA
(1004416-90-M)

They really don't have a clear answer to why the car wasn't fully diagnosed after multiple complaints and visits. In my opinion they screwed up. I really admire Tesla owners for their support to the thread on Tesla forum.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 14:43   #5003
BHPian

I wonder what he has to say now to 'Please feel free to copy/paste this response in your blog'. The guy sounds so cocky about things being wrong at your house that his entire response is pretty much focused on that.

Glad issues with your car are sorted. However this episode has definitely dented the image of Tesla as far as I am concerned. If it required a blog and multiple threads in forums to resolve a charging issue with a next to new car then their service really has huge holes to fill.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 23:45   #5004
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder what he has to say now to 'Please feel free to copy/paste this response in your blog.
If it required a blog and multiple threads in forums to resolve a charging issue with a next to new car then their service really has huge holes to fill.
He wanted the blog to turn around, me taking partial blame for something to neutralize the damage but it was naive to rush into judgement without digging into facts or taking feedback from me.
But car itself is amazing, overshadows the recent service experience. Hopefully, this is a isolated incident.
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 23:53   #5005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Got a 2015 Chrysler 200 this time from Hertz. Better car than I expected. Will keep with me for anther 2 weeks.
How are you dealing with the "knob" style gear? I hated it esp when placed so close to your AC and Volume "knobs"
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 00:56   #5006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
How are you dealing with the "knob" style gear? I hated it esp when placed so close to your AC and Volume "knobs"
Yeah, it is a strange thing. When I took the car initially, I was about to run out and complain the Hertz fellows about the missing gear lever . Now I got used to it. After all it is an automatic and I rarely have to fiddle with it while driving.

I still do have some issues with the music system other than a horribly complex menu system. For example, I dont see any "stop/play nothing" option on it. It always keep playing something and the only thing I could find is a mute button on the volume knob. Even the "hidden" buttons behind the steering wheel (which I discovered after about a week of driving the car) are mapped somewhat strangely.

The worst part about this car is the sound while closing the door. It is almost like "kachakkk", reminded me of our old Fiat car in India. But this one has hardly been driven some 5000 miles. I don't know if it is an indication of build quality, poor engineering or both.
Old 10th September 2015, 08:03   #5007
Senior - BHPian

Here is a photo of my rented car. Looks good, in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1441852401043.jpg  

Old 11th September 2015, 02:08   #5008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Yes! Its a long story. Found few Tesla owners on plugshare App to replicate the problem and video documented the charging issue at multiple locations. Escalated to service manager with uploaded videos , link to my Tesla blog and a request to reply back in writing if they cannot resolve it ASAP. Gave them 2 options, Either I'll escalate it further to regional manager, then HQ and if that doesn't work, return the car as it falls under 3 months satisfaction guarantee program from Tesla. I had a week left for that but then I had lemon option as well.

They really don't have a clear answer to why the car wasn't fully diagnosed after multiple complaints and visits. In my opinion they screwed up. I really admire Tesla owners for their support to the thread on Tesla forum.
Is the car fixed now? Could you share the link for your thread on Tesla Forum?

Quote:
However this episode has definitely dented the image of Tesla as far as I am concerned. If it required a blog and multiple threads in forums to resolve a charging issue with a next to new car then their service really has huge holes to fill.
+1, I am still not very convinced personally on a fully electric car, I think more than anything the range anxiety will always make me nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I still do have some issues with the music system other than a horribly complex menu system. For example, I dont see any "stop/play nothing" option on it. It always keep playing something and the only thing I could find is a mute button on the volume knob.
Welcome to Amrikan cars, they don't provide assumingly basic functions like Pause/Play, the only way to do so is by using power button.

The 200 is definitely a very nice looking car. I had recently rented a CHrysler Town & Country & the hidden buttons took a little while to get used to. While the engine was not very enthusiastic, it held ground very well on high cruising speeds & what surprised me most was the MPG, I was getting 25+ all through out the trip, even in stop & go it never fell below 20 which was unbelievable for
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 03:15   #5009
BHPian

Quote:
Is the car fixed now? Could you share the link for your thread on Tesla Forum?
Here's the link!
http://static04.www.teslamotors.com/...lpful-resolved

The car's fixed and charging without issues.

Quote:
+1, I am still not very convinced personally on a fully electric car, I think more than anything the range anxiety will always make me nervous.
In my opinion, Tesla can only be a 2nd or 3rd car. At this price point, the range should be 400-500 miles, maybe in next few years!
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 23:27   #5010
BHPian

Guys, I have my first concrete car query after spending lots of days browsing used car websites for deciding what car to buy after landing in the U.S. Do any of you have any experience or impressions of Jaguar XF from around 2011-12 vintage. Somehow I am fascinated by the brand and want to know how prudent it is to buy a pre-owned Jaguar as the first car in the states. 2011-12 XFs are all with the 5 litre V8 engine. I am looking at that vintage because I am looking to spend around 25k on a car and only XFs from that vintage are in that price range. Ideally I would have wanted a smaller and more efficient engine and better looking interiors but I can't get over the overall look and impression of the car. If anyone can share driving impressions of the car and benchmark that against the German trio then that would help me in evaluating it better. Any servicing or reliability information will help as well.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote