Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 25th April 2016, 19:57   #5326
BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Thanks, so the option you receive is like donate $xx to this organization to be member and 3-4 options? Is this right? I am trying to open checking account
Yes. Thats exactly what I did before opening a checking account and then later applied for a auto loan.
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 20:04   #5327
Senior - BHPian

Trying to get a new compact SUV to replace my corolla. Quite liked the new Mazda CX5 for its looks. Dont particularly prefer CRV mainly for its looks and omnipresence. Other options are RAV4, Rogue, Tucson and Subaru Outback/Forester. However I dont really need an AWD in this part of the country. Have driven RAV4, CRV and Outback a lot. Yet to try CX5 and others. Anybody owning it here? Mainly looking for a comfortable car for long drives with good amount of luggage space and also for short trips to office/shopping. This will be my only car.

Last edited by vasoo : 25th April 2016 at 20:06.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 20:24   #5328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Trying to get a new compact SUV to replace my corolla. Quite liked the new Mazda CX5 for its looks. Dont particularly prefer CRV mainly for its looks and omnipresence. Other options are RAV4, Rogue, Tucson and Subaru Outback/Forester. However I dont really need an AWD in this part of the country. Have driven RAV4, CRV and Outback a lot. Yet to try CX5 and others. Anybody owning it here? Mainly looking for a comfortable car for long drives with good amount of luggage space and also for short trips to office/shopping. This will be my only car.
I can comment on the Forrester and RAV4. Dont have a lot of history in the US, but spend good time on the Forrester as driver and little time as passenger. It drives pretty much like a car, lots of bottom end power especially on short freeway entries.

Comfort/space I would prefer the RAV. Seats are more plush on RAV. What amazed me was the safety features on the Forrester at the price. Its a very underrated car, but just as capable as the others. Saw a video on the AWD and it beats the others. If you are ok with the brand image, highly recommend it. Resale needs to be considered. No one is beating the Honda and Toyota there.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 20:42   #5329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can comment on the Forrester and RAV4. Dont have a lot of history in the US, but spend good time on the Forrester as driver and little time as passenger. It drives pretty much like a car, lots of bottom end power especially on short freeway entries.

Comfort/space I would prefer the RAV. Seats are more plush on RAV. What amazed me was the safety features on the Forrester at the price. Its a very underrated car, but just as capable as the others. Saw a video on the AWD and it beats the others. If you are ok with the brand image, highly recommend it. Resale needs to be considered. No one is beating the Honda and Toyota there.
Thanks for the input. Your comments closely match the ranking in Consumer Reports website. See the screenshot below. I will take a TD for Forester and CX5.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-comparo.jpg  

vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 20:57   #5330
BHPian

Quote:
IIf you are ok with the brand image, highly
What brand image?
I am a Subaru fan, btw!: )
dr.abhijeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 21:27   #5331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
What brand image?
I am a Subaru fan, btw!: )
Me too!!! The Impreza is one of the cars I dreamt of buying as a child. If you peek at my RC buggies, I use the 93 WRC season Subaru blue/yellow paint scheme on my bodies. McRae, Loeb was my favorites. It what I grew up with.

But not many recognize Subaru as a main stream company. I am lucky my Bro-in-law did and got the Forrester.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 02:54   #5332
BHPian

Subaru fan here too. Also Subaru has one of the best resale value in the industry. I am looking forward to the 2017 Impreza with their new platform.
acurafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 05:12   #5333
BHPian

If it's ok, try and take a look at Mitsubishi Outlander too. Has a cramped 3rd row of seats which can be folded and used as a large boot.
TorqMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 08:02   #5334
BHPian

Post Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Trying to get a new compact SUV to replace my corolla. Quite liked the new Mazda CX5 for its looks. .
If you want the most detailed, practical and consumer-oriented reviews on Youtube, check out Alex on Autos.

Alex is not very biased but he does feel that the CX-5 is the best in its class. At the end of each video he discusses all the competitors and gives you a good guide on what you should choose based on your requirements.

And here's one on the Rav4

And the Tucson 1.6T

Hope this is helpful.Good Luck!
VPSuchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 15:43   #5335
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with owning Motorcycles? Wanted to know more about insurance. My current agent does do not motorcycles.
Almost every insurance provider has Motorcycle insurance. I had a comprehensive insurance with Allstate, depending on the bike you have the prices will vary. Plus having both car and motorcycle with same provider will save a few $
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 20:42   #5336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That was quite an adventure!
I had gone to Echo lake a couple of weekends back. There is less than usual traffic this time, since the ski resorts dont have much snow for skiing.
I have pm'ed you my number, in case you want to join the East Coast TBHP whatsapp group.
I have moved to North Brunswick, NJ about a week ago and would love to join the East Coast TBHP group.
f1dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 06:26   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Any Wrangler owners out here? Or anyone with the experience of day-to-day usage of the vehicle?
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 12:46   #5338
Senior - BHPian

Nitin: One Texas based bhpian is an owner. It's totally a lifestyle vehicle, the reason I say is the drive on normal roads are very different as compared to any sedans. Jeep is bumpy and speeds above 70 is scary, brakes are similar to a boat and last second lane changes are scary. Plus the roof makes a lot of noise, interiors are not good.

Off-road though it is like a fish in water, any rock or hill is beatable. A piece of cake! Also any owner waves at one another. Unless you do off roads or live that life style it is a no go.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 15:10   #5339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Any Wrangler owners out here? Or anyone with the experience of day-to-day usage of the vehicle?
DEFINITELY NOT a daily driver!

I had a soft-top Wrangler here (Australia) a few years back (bought to realise a childhood dream ) when my children were young, used it (persevered would be a better word) for an year as a daily driver, absolutely terrible car to do so.

Only managed to hang on for a year because our second car was a proper family car.

The steering is terrible (needs constant correction even on a straight road), suspension cartlike (will literally shake your fillings loose), ergonomics woeful, NVH pathetic, the 4.0 Litre petrol accelerates like a bus and guzzles fuel like a V8, handling is like a boat on a choppy sea etc etc etc which makes it an absurd car as a daily driver (unless you are really young). Even my rose-tinted glasses fell off pretty fast!

I read a US review which said driving a soft top Wrangler on the freeway was like sitting in a tent being dragged along the freeway!

But, Wrangler is a fantastic car for off-roading - you will absolutely love it then. Its like a never-say-die little terrier and will give the big fellows like Landcruisers & Patrols a good run for their money.

Buy the Wrangler as a weekend fun vehicle to take offroad & you will be happy. Unfortunately, I could not afford to keep that Wrangler as a weekend toy (a new Wrangler cost $40,000 in Australia - fortunately I had bought it secondhand and sold it off to buy a four wheel drive family wagon).

But, funnily enough, in spite of all the impracticalities, I & my kids still love that Wrangler - we have so many nice weekend memories of it. In fact, my teenage son has already decided he will be getting a soft top Wrangler as his first car - and planning what mods he will do to it!

Last edited by LTAutoMad : 30th April 2016 at 15:35.
LTAutoMad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 20:21   #5340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A friend owns this - jeep jk unlimited rubicon.

His wife daily drives that to work. 19mpg highway. Holds decent enough luggage - we even bough 2 lawnmowers from home depot on this.

Since he has the hard top- the sound is much better. I was surprised to see the doors come off and windshield come off.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-to...ree-1767770092
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-jeep.jpg  

Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote