Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 29th November 2016, 23:14   #5581
BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
T You could even get new electric vehicles on lease for super low prices (under 200$s in most cases).
That would have been ideal- But I can't find any lease under $200 with 0 down.

My commute is 30 miles one way on the highway or 19 miles city. I can take either option. Trickle charging (110V) at home and level 2 charging at work is what I'm thinking.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 00:54   #5582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

My commute is 30 miles one way on the highway or 19 miles city. I can take either option. Trickle charging (110V) at home and level 2 charging at work is what I'm thinking.
Can you lease a used model or lease is applicable only for brand new?

Small rant on Honda dealers(as usual). Friend who is new in this country was looking at a lease option on a crv at the local honda dealer. Few notes from his experience.

First the sales person kept them waiting for an hour even after calling them before going. My friend asked them to get off their mighty horses and come down if they wanted a sale.
This was going to be a lease on a 2016 model. Honda gave 3 slabs with 2k down, 3k down and 4k down, but the math simply didnt add up. There was no explanation given as to why the 2k down would come to $1000 more over two years over $4k down.
Though a cosignee was offered, they wanted multiple papers from our company as well as visa documents for this lease.

This behavior lost them a sale as my friend walked to a Nissan dealer the next evening and in 2 hours walked out with a lease on a 2016 Nissan rouge with 2900 downpayment and 120 a month as car payments for 24k miles and a two year lease. No co signee required.

For all bhpians, Dodge is offering some really good lease deals for their challenger. More like 150 a month on a two year lease.

Lastly: The mod bug has bit me and i am thinking of doing the following on my genesis coupe.
1) Downpipe, o2 housing and Isr catback exhaust.
2) ECU flash or reprog which promises significant increase of hp.

Does this even make sense? Anything which i should be vary of? I intend to experiment only after the winter, so i do have time for any suggestions from your end.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 01:24   #5583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A lot of these offers may be California only. I did see a national Kia Soul EV offer for 199$ but it wasn't 0 down. Maybe you can walk in at a Nissan dealer and see what they have for you. What about Ford Focus EV - do you get any special pricing? Ford also has plugin C-Max and Fusion that could operate on electric for a limited range - but since you can charge at work, you maybe able to manage on electric.
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 03:05   #5584
BHPian

Quote:
The used car values on all electric cars (save Tesla) is super low. You could even get new electric vehicles on lease for super low prices (under 200$s in most cases). The demand is really poor - people who fancy electric cars buy them or lease them new, and make use of the rebates and move on a year or 2 later. For a used car shopper, a depleted battery electric car is not a good value anymore especially if the range you are going to get has slipped to under 60 or 50% of what it originally could manage. Also factor in how cold weather makes batteries deplete faster. Perhaps the newer electric cars with 200+ miles range would fetch better price in the used car market.
If you consider the taxes and depreciation related to a new car, paying couple thousand down seems alright. I hear Fiat 500 electric can be leased for $59 with ~$3500 down (36 month lease). You get a new car every 3 years, with no maintenance costs. I am kicking myself for buying a car with full down.
Chevy Bolt is just around the corner. It has a 200+ range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Congrats on the car chevelle. Does the dealership look at visa validity for lease cars?
All they look for is a decent credit score. AFAIK, they have no business asking for your immigration status/passport. Photo ID/drivers license, income/bank statements and SSN should do. You can decline to answer that question if it comes up.

Last edited by prasadee : 30th November 2016 at 03:20.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 03:50   #5585
BHPian

Quote:
A lot of these offers may be California only. I did see a national Kia Soul EV offer for 199$ but it wasn't 0 down. Maybe you can walk in at a Nissan dealer and see what they have for you. What about Ford Focus EV - do you get any special pricing? Ford also has plugin C-Max and Fusion that could operate on electric for a limited range - but since you can charge at work, you maybe able to manage on electric.
Nissan has 4000 cash discount and 7500 fed rebate on new leaf's
MSRP is ~29k, so can get for ~18k new
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 00:23   #5586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nissan has 4000 cash discount and 7500 fed rebate on new leaf's
MSRP is ~29k, so can get for ~18k new
Is that valid for leasing? Depends on the financing arm of Nissan that does the leasing, right? It is no wonder that 3 year old Nissan Leaf's are selling for 10k. The brand new market value is 18k, 3 years and a 55% value would put it at 10k. Having just bought the STi, are you looking for another new car ?
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 03:15   #5587
BHPian

Quote:
Is that valid for leasing? Depends on the financing arm of Nissan that does the leasing, right? It is no wonder that 3 year old Nissan Leaf's are selling for 10k. The brand new market value is 18k, 3 years and a 55% value would put it at 10k. Having just bought the STi, are you looking for another new car ?
Nope, for leasing, the dealer gets the 7500 fed rebate. the 4k dealer cash is for purchase financing through Nissan finance.
There are rumours of a 200 mile range leaf about to be announced. That will drive the resale further down.

Stop and go traffic is terrible in the Sti.

On the plus side, my clutch leg is getting a great workout.

Last edited by Jomz : 1st December 2016 at 03:21.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote