Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2017, 23:18   #5806
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,564
Thanked: 1,538 Times
Arrow Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Found out over the weekend that EZ pass transponders dont work with cars with heated windshields. Rented a Jaguar XE over the long weekend and drove through the EZ pass express toll lane on PA turnpike.
The transponder will work if you mount it (or hold it) exactly behind the rear view mirror. There is a clear/dotted area behind the mirror that will let the EZ Pass be read. All other ares on the heated windshield will block the readers.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 00:16   #5807
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,494
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
The transponder will work if you mount it (or hold it) exactly behind the rear view mirror. There is a clear/dotted area behind the mirror that will let the EZ Pass be read. All other ares on the heated windshield will block the readers.
I was going to say the same thing. I think mine worked because it is in that specific area. Cheers!
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 00:23   #5808
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 629
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Apparently a common issue - read up in the Jaguar forum. Some people have theirs mounted near that rear view mirror area you guys mentioned (in black paint with black velcro to preserve the look of the car). Some even on the sunroof! I guess if someone wishes to use the express toll lanes then they will have to mount it somewhere for sure.

I just posted to warn others like me who would use their own transponder in a high end rental vehicle.

Last edited by Cesc : 31st May 2017 at 00:25.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 02:41   #5809
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,993
Thanked: 1,421 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Finally did the first photoshoot of my Equinox during the recent Memorial Day weekend, while approaching 2 years of ownership in August.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-i.jpg  

theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 23:21   #5810
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 218
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hi all,
The time has come to say bye to my STi and look for something with the same soul, manual transmission and more powah! in the stock form.
Reasons for selling the STi:
Boy racer image
Interiors.
Bored with everyone wanting to race.
Sometimes embarrassed pulling up to valets at valet only places, so end up using the the soulless Lexuses( Lexuii?).

Budget: 100000 NEW, will lease or 70000 used( lesser the better as will buy)

Requirements:
1.4 Doors and manual tranny with shifting action like the STi.
2. Preferably >500 hp stock.

Test driven so far:
2017 c63 amg s: Loved it, cant get over lack of manual transmission.
2013 m5 with DCT- ? didnot like it, cant pin point why, probably due to the bulk.

Can't think of a good option. Open to suggestions.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 07:57.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 23:56   #5811
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,494
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Hi all,
The time has come to say bye to my STi and look for something with the same soul, manual transmission and more powah! in the stock form.
Reasons for selling the STi:
Boy racer image
Interiors.
Bored with everyone wanting to race.
Sometimes embarrassed pulling up to valets at valet only places, so end up using the the soulless Lexuses( Lexuii?).

Budget: 100000 NEW, will lease or 70000 used( lesser the better as will buy)

Requirements:
1.4 Doors and manual tranny with shifting action like the STi.
2. Preferably >500 hp stock.

Test driven so far:
2017 c63 amg s: Loved it, cant get over lack of manual transmission.
2013 m5 with DCT- ? didnot like it, cant pin point why, probably due to the bulk.

Can't think of a good option. Open to suggestions.
Here are some suggestions for brand new cars - and they will comfortably slip under 70k.
  • 2017 Chevy SS with 6 Speed Manaul
  • The Cadillac ATS-V Sedan
  • Cancel

Amongst used cars, maybe try and get hold of a year or 2 year old M6 with a manual. There definitely are a lot of options in used cars - but some of them maybe older, and used and abused.

PS: I would like to be in a dilemma like you

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 27th June 2017 at 23:57.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 02:18   #5812
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

4 doors, manual and 6 digit price tag really narrows the field down!
What's the world coming to?? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 21:04   #5813
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 218
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
4 doors, manual and 6 digit price tag really narrows the field down!

What's the world coming to?? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

What's the world come to.
The SS is too much of a sleeper and has a little less power than I want. If I buy a sleeper, it has to be a wagon.
Last gen CTS v wagon is something I am considering but the interiors are so dated.
I am test-driving a manual used m5 next week, I know that manual m5 are not as good as the DCT but still.
Jag xfr-s has a rear wing which reminds me of the STI , it's a rare car and is not a manual but looks stunning and did I say that it has a wing.
M6 GC manuals are hard to find and most listed nations wide are DCTs wrongly listed as manuals.
E63 amg wagons are expensive and don't have a manual.

So, I don't know what I want. Time to go to work in the STI . I will miss it.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 00:54.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 23:09   #5814
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,918
Thanked: 5,778 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
What's the world come to.
The SS is too much of a sleeper and has a little less power than I want. If I buy a sleeper, it has to be a wagon.
Last gen CTS v wagon is something I am considering but the interiors are so dated.
I am testdriving a manual used m5 next week, I know that manual m5 are not as good as the DCT but still.
Jag xfr-s has a rear wing which reminds me of the STI , it's a rare car and is not a manual but looks stunning and did I say that it has a wing.
M6 GC manuals are hard to find and most listed nations wide are DCTs wrongly listed as manuals.
E63 amg wagons are expensive and donot have a manual.

So, I don't know what I want. Time to go to work in the STI . I will miss it.

Just order a XFR and tick all the option boxes. Americans love Jaguars, every time you pull over to fill up lots of guys and girls will come and want to know what you are driving. Beemers are for sorry tossers that cant hack it on their own accord. True in the US and in Europe. Fast majority of Beemers are company leased cars.

Trust me, a Jag gives incredible street cred and they are these days very nice cars to boot!

Enjoy and make a wise decision, don't be a plonker and go for mainstream Germany! jag it is!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 00:38   #5815
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 218
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

The problem is the new XFR can't be ordered yet.
M5 is the only option with a stick.
dr.abhijeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 01:05   #5816
Team-BHP Support
 
aah78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 3,564
Thanked: 1,538 Times
Arrow Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Requirements:
1.4 Doors and manual tranny with shifting action like the STi.
2. Preferably >500 hp stock.
You want something that not made anymore.
Your only choice for a 500bhp 4 door sedan with a manual transmission is the BMW M5 or a BMW M6, I guess.
Very few dealers, if any, will even stock one. You'll probably have to order one and wait a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Americans love Jaguars, every time you pull over to fill up lots of guys and girls will come and want to know what you are driving.
Actually, that's not true anymore. Americans were used to the traditional Jaguar shape & loved them until the X300/X308 Series.
Ever since the 2009 X351 was introduced, a lot of them didn't like them anymore.
Some do not appreciate the design of the XF. I love it myself, but then the Jaguar dealers I have dealt with are another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet
The problem is the new XFR can't be ordered yet.
German car dealers, in my experience - Mercedes & BMW are the best to deal with for ordering a car not in inventory. Jaguar dealers have been very uncooperative.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th June 2017 at 01:08.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 01:47   #5817
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,993
Thanked: 1,421 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post

Can't think of a good option. Open to suggestions.

Dodge Challenger Demon: starting $85000. Drag-racing car made street legal by a manufacturer. Standard : 808 hp, Optional : 840 hp.

Forget the door-deficit.

Last edited by theMAG : 29th June 2017 at 01:51.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 03:55   #5818
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 218
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Dodge Challenger Demon: starting $85000. Drag-racing car made street legal by a manufacturer. Standard : 808 hp, Optional : 840 hp.

Forget the door-deficit.

Please be advised that the car needs to fit two car seats and will be used as a daily driver which I want to use all the time, I.e. any time I am going somewhere alone or with family.
Considered Charger hellcat and rejected due to interiors and dealership experience.

@ aah78: can't order a new m5 anymore as the new gen is awaited. M6 is just pricey for what it is, but I am thinking about it.

Last edited by dr.abhijeet : 29th June 2017 at 03:58.
dr.abhijeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 04:40   #5819
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
What's the world come to.
Here's a thought. Ask at jalopnik.com
They have a weekly "What car should I buy" piece. I am sure your question will get picked up. And I am also sure you will not go with any of their suggestions
But it will be fun!

EDIT: Here's the link:What Car Should You Buy

Last edited by amitoj : 29th June 2017 at 04:47.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 06:39   #5820
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 218
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Here's a thought. Ask at jalopnik.com
They have a weekly "What car should I buy" piece. I am sure your question will get picked up. And I am also sure you will not go with any of their suggestions
But it will be fun!

EDIT: Here's the link:What Car Should You Buy
Done! Lets see if it gets picked up.
dr.abhijeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 25 9th November 2015 17:43
Car of the Year 2012 -North America volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 0 10th January 2012 17:31
President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 11 9th September 2007 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks