Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 21:38   #5851
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 218
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Funky choice, indeed! Does it have a gas guzzler tax on it?


What I thought too! I usually associate doctors with German cars. That's what I see around here. Lot's of Porsche's.
It does have gas guzzler tax on it. When we drove the car, we could not stop grinning (one of beauties of living in a small town, you can test drive whatever you want). When we took delivery, the bluetooth was not working ( typical FCA stuff, reminds me of TATA), it really did not matter.
We also go almost 6000 off MSRP which sweetened the deal.
Brief Dealership story:

We park far away in the dealer ship and stroll through the lot of the dealer, me pointing random cars to my wife : "Honey, look there is a JGC SRT, should we buy that?"
Her: " Probably too expensive!"

We reach the front of the dealer and my wife touches the lime green car and the SRT badge on the back.
There were 5-6 sales people around it, talking and joking among themselves( would never happen at a german dealership or lexus).One of the sales people among the group looks at her when she touches the car and says( jokingly), "If you touch it you will have to buy it!" My wife without missing a beat, " I am reason the car is out here, I am buying it. If you look at it the wrong way, I won't."
Him, " Do you want some water?"
Her," Yes please, can I have two bottles?"
All the other sales people ( all male) start laughing at this dude uncontrollably. Just at that moment the car starts ( my sales guy looked at us and started the car remotely), my sales guy comes out and says, " Do you want to take it out for a spin and look that the Viper ACR which is in our storage?"
We," Hell yeah!"
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20170728_184246.jpg  

dr.abhijeet is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017, 23:52   #5852
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 426 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
It is her daily driver with car seats. She smoked a ML63 AMG yesterday. Will post pictures and driving impressions soon. I am toying with the idea of buying one for myself because my wife is surprisingly possessive about the thing.
Congrats on that car! Definitely gorgeous and a great choice! Please do post more pictures of the car and one noob question: AWD or RWD?

Also if both of you have a dodge its definitely a Breaking Bad redux

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 00:11   #5853
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,494
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Congrats on that car! Definitely gorgeous and a great choice! Please do post more pictures of the car and one noob question: AWD or RWD?

Also if both of you have a dodge its definitely a Breaking Bad redux

Maddy
The hellcat is RWD only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
There were 5-6 sales people around it, talking and joking among themselves( would never happen at a german dealership or lexus).One of the sales people among the group looks at her when she touches the car and says( jokingly), "If you touch it you will have to buy it!" My wife without missing a beat, " I am reason the car is out here, I am buying it. If you look at it the wrong way, I won't."
Ha.. That was a nice come back by her. So, are you considering the hellcat or now, the demon? There are hellcats in our area offered on 600$ a month lease. Quite a mouthwatering number.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 2nd August 2017 at 00:14.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 21:32   #5854
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,823
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Any Honda Pilot owners in here? Looking at a new SUV soon. Reasons to look at a SUV is the towing capability, long distance touring and also planning to get into Dirt Bikes.

I know a full truck or even the Honda Ridgeline makes sense. But during the week, the truck bed is of no use. Does anyone own trucks?
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:19   #5855
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 426 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any Honda Pilot owners in here? Looking at a new SUV soon. Reasons to look at a SUV is the towing capability, long distance touring and also planning to get into Dirt Bikes.

I know a full truck or even the Honda Ridgeline makes sense. But during the week, the truck bed is of no use. Does anyone own trucks?
Do check out the hyundai santa fe when you can. Their turbo sport is fun to drive, option between seating 5 or 7 and also comes with a great warranty and also 0% financing if your eligible.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 17:49   #5856
BHPian
 
mohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto / Kurukshetra
Posts: 640
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any Honda Pilot owners in here? Looking at a new SUV soon. Reasons to look at a SUV is the towing capability, long distance touring and also planning to get into Dirt Bikes.

I know a full truck or even the Honda Ridgeline makes sense. But during the week, the truck bed is of no use. Does anyone own trucks?
If you want to tow regularly and use the vehicle to carry dirt bikes, might be more sensible to look into something like a 4Runner. While not very fuel efficient, they are truck based and will take the abuse better than a pilot.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 18:01   #5857
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Finally, picked a lime green hellcat charger with monkey brass wheels , black roof and HKaudio.
It's nothing like anything I had test driven so far. The thing does not make sense.
I am keeping my STi for now and wife is driving the hellcat.
I don't know how I missed this update.
Congratulations! That is an awesome choice! Wish you many grinning miles with it.
Btw, as for the bluetooth, the one on mine stopped working some time back. All it needed was a software update from the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Congratulations! Lime green looks good and truly stands out.
You need to post some driving impressions. Is it tame enough for daily drive duties?
If I am not mistaken, it comes with two types of keys. Black key for normal driving (only Dodge can call 500 horses normal ) and red key for unleashing the full 707 horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
It is her daily driver with car seats. She smoked a ML63 AMG yesterday. Will post pictures and driving impressions soon. I am toying with the idea of buying one for myself because my wife is surprisingly possessive about the thing.
I can totally see why. The couple of times my wife took my Charger, I spent most of the time looking out the window for her to return
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 18:21   #5858
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 218
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

@amitoj
The bluetooth started working the next day on its own. Yes, there are two keys and she never uses the black one.
@maddy
I do think that if you plan to tow, 4runner/GX or Durango/JGC may be a better bet. I didnot realize you were in Phoenix. We should meet up sometime.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 21:10   #5859
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,823
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
If you want to tow regularly and use the vehicle to carry dirt bikes, might be more sensible to look into something like a 4Runner. While not very fuel efficient, they are truck based and will take the abuse better than a pilot.
I did take a look at a 2013 model. While its build like a tank, everything is build for a large macho driver, even the volume controls. . The ride was bumpy and later learned you need a full house to unsettle. I have no need for a truck based platform drinking a lot of gas. The advantage is hitch tongue capacity is higher and I can use 2 dirt bikes on the hitch. Saves me from a trailer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Do check out the hyundai santa fe when you can. Their turbo sport is fun to drive, option between seating 5 or 7 and also comes with a great warranty and also 0% financing if your eligible.

Maddy
Yes, Santa Fe is my option no 3 after Highlander. The cheaper financing options are hard to ignore. But Santa Fe lacks the interior space of the others. Pilot according to reviews has a better ride, handles well, more efficient and holds value over time.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 3rd August 2017 at 21:13.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 00:01   #5860
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,494
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I did take a look at a 2013 model. While its build like a tank, everything is build for a large macho driver, even the volume controls. . The ride was bumpy and later learned you need a full house to unsettle. I have no need for a truck based platform drinking a lot of gas. The advantage is hitch tongue capacity is higher and I can use 2 dirt bikes on the hitch. Saves me from a trailer.




Yes, Santa Fe is my option no 3 after Highlander. The cheaper financing options are hard to ignore. But Santa Fe lacks the interior space of the others. Pilot according to reviews has a better ride, handles well, more efficient and holds value over time.
If you are going to tow very often, something that gets good fuel efficiency while towing is probably a must - perhaps a diesel with big fat mid range torque curves. Maybe checkout the Jeep GC diesel? Not many other options in crossovers unless you look at European manufacturers. The F-Pace and X3/X5 have diesel. BMW diesel cars hold value fairly well. Not sure about Jaguar. I can't find it now, but I remember reading/ seeing a video about the Pilot with the 9 speed does a lot of gear hunting when towing.
You could also, maybe, look at the Colorado or Canyon pickup trucks with the diesel again - you can probably even carry the bike in the bed.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 01:29   #5861
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 426 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
@maddy
I do think that if you plan to tow, 4runner/GX or Durango/JGC may be a better bet. I didnot realize you were in Phoenix. We should meet up sometime.
Hey Dr, moved to the new england area. But next time in tuscon i will follow the sound and the green car

Congrats and hope you enjoy it. So is the STI on its way out?

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 01:53   #5862
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 1,584 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Hey Dr, moved to the new england area.
Yeah and we New Englanders dont believe in meeting up
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 05:38   #5863
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Garden State
Posts: 49
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Finally, picked a lime green hellcat charger with monkey brass wheels , black roof and HKaudio.
It's nothing like anything I had test driven so far. The thing does not make sense.
I am keeping my STi for now and wife is driving the hellcat.
Congrats on joining the MOPAR family!!
f1dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 06:01   #5864
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 218
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Hey Dr, moved to the new england area. But next time in tuscon i will follow the sound and the green car

Congrats and hope you enjoy it. So is the STI on its way out?

Maddy
No, keeping the STi for now. Toying with idea of a 2nd hellcat.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 00:28   #5865
Senior - BHPian
 
maddy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Coorg
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 426 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yeah and we New Englanders dont believe in meeting up
Haha, got a break from my project from next week. Let me know if you're free i could ride towards your area

Maddy

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th August 2017 at 09:44. Reason: your > you're.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 25 9th November 2015 17:43
Car of the Year 2012 -North America volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 0 10th January 2012 17:31
President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 11 9th September 2007 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks