Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 23:16   #5866
BHPian
 
mohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto / Kurukshetra
Posts: 641
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
No, keeping the STi for now. Toying with idea of a 2nd hellcat.
Food for thought

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk Starts at $85,900
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 09:02   #5867
BHPian
 
Koenigsegg220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 46
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I am in the process of buying my first luxury car in the US. I always want to go for a BMW, but want to check out on other cars and compare in terms of reliability, expenditures in the long run, CPO/lease etc.
I am really missing Team Bhp-esque site in US.
Is there any site like that comes close ?
Koenigsegg220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 10:43   #5868
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,684
Thanked: 2,724 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
I am in the process of buying my first luxury car in the US. I always want to go for a BMW, but want to check out on other cars and compare in terms of reliability, expenditures in the long run, CPO/lease etc.
I am really missing Team Bhp-esque site in US.
Is there any site like that comes close ?
You can get US-specific advice on this thread!

Are you looking for a new or used car? Kelley Blue Book (kbb) is a good start to evaluate used cars.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 21:00   #5869
BHPian
 
Fraz33r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston/Mumbai
Posts: 213
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
I am in the process of buying my first luxury car in the US. I always want to go for a BMW, but want to check out on other cars and compare in terms of reliability, expenditures in the long run, CPO/lease etc.
I am really missing Team Bhp-esque site in US.
Is there any site like that comes close ?
It will be hard to find TBHP type well moderated, user specific site. You can always use BimmerFest forums for that. google is your friend here; and do post queries, I am sure someone or the other will be able to chime in with the right advice.
Fraz33r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 19:27   #5870
BHPian
 
mohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto / Kurukshetra
Posts: 641
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
I am in the process of buying my first luxury car in the US. I always want to go for a BMW, but want to check out on other cars and compare in terms of reliability, expenditures in the long run, CPO/lease etc.
I am really missing Team Bhp-esque site in US.
Is there any site like that comes close ?
Since you are in Minneapolis, unless you have driven a RWD in snow, makes sense to look into AWD options.

Are you looking for a sedan or a SUV?
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 22:10   #5871
BHPian
 
VPSuchin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 61
Thanked: 66 Times
Thumbs up Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
I am in the process of buying my first luxury car in the US. I always want to go for a BMW, but want to check out on other cars and compare in terms of reliability, expenditures in the long run, CPO/lease etc.
If you are looking at BMW I am assuming a CPO 3 series. BMWs in general, along with other Germans are expensive to maintain and repair. Getting a CPO BMW will give you peace of mind as it has extended warranty for 6 years /100k miles in total-BMW CPO Overview
Also, BMW offers free maintenance for the first 4 years.

Direct competition to the 3 series is MB C300, Audi A4, Lexus Is 300/350, Infiniti Q50, Cadillac ATS (smallest back seat of the group)


A Lexus followed by Infiniti will be the most reliable among these, in general unless specific model years have lot of problems (Example 2014 Q50's electronics) However, I am reading about a lot of improvement from Audi as well. Individual model forums are the best place to go IMO for detailed information on ownership, long term reliability including common problems and repairs etc. So checkout Bimmerpost for the best, most comprehensive information on the 3series, MBWorld for C300 ,Audiworld and Audizine for the A4, ClubLexus for IS, NicoCLub for Q50


There is a ton of information out there comparing these exact models. Ultimately what you go for is based on your personal needs and preferences.



2015-bmw-3-series-vs-2015-mercedes-benz-c-class

2015-mercedes-benz-c-class-vs-2015-audi-a4

Last edited by VPSuchin : 12th August 2017 at 22:12.
VPSuchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 07:52   #5872
BHPian
 
Koenigsegg220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 46
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Firstly, Thank you all. I did not expect so many replies so quickly !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You can get US-specific advice on this thread!

Are you looking for a new or used car? Kelley Blue Book (kbb) is a good start to evaluate used cars.
I am actually quite torn on this. I want to drive a new car, but do not want to spend 50k (Unfortunately, a 3 series or Q50 goes up there with good options like sport package and/or good engine)

My budget is around 35k, which gives me two options.
Either go for a new car lease (EMI on new lease being equivalent to buying 35k car) or a used car (CPO) with around 20k miles, not older than ~1-2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
It will be hard to find TBHP type well moderated, user specific site. You can always use BimmerFest forums for that. google is your friend here; and do post queries, I am sure someone or the other will be able to chime in with the right advice.
Yes, i tried that for last two weekends. My biggest point of contention is: Do forums like bimmerfest offer unbiased opinion ? since i figure i will only meet fanboys there (may be i am wrong ?)


Yes, i was a lurker on team-bhp for a quite a while now. Thank you for the reply. I will post my questions more frequently then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Since you are in Minneapolis, unless you have driven a RWD in snow, makes sense to look into AWD options.

Are you looking for a sedan or a SUV?
Actually, i am in Dallas now. (time to update my profile )
I am looking for a sports sedan. I was an SUV buff earlier. But, my friends here pointed it to me that only women drive SUVs in US, strangely for some reason.

Please do not take me as sexist. I am just conveying something i heard, which made me think and observe, and it is true among 90% of the SUVs i spotted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPSuchin View Post
If you are looking at BMW I am assuming a CPO 3 series. BMWs in general, along with other Germans are expensive to maintain and repair. Getting a CPO BMW will give you peace of mind as it has extended warranty for 6 years /100k miles in total-BMW CPO Overview
Also, BMW offers free maintenance for the first 4 years.

Direct competition to the 3 series is MB C300, Audi A4, Lexus Is 300/350, Infiniti Q50, Cadillac ATS (smallest back seat of the group)


A Lexus followed by Infiniti will be the most reliable among these, in general unless specific model years have lot of problems (Example 2014 Q50's electronics) However, I am reading about a lot of improvement from Audi as well. Individual model forums are the best place to go IMO for detailed information on ownership, long term reliability including common problems and repairs etc. So checkout Bimmerpost for the best, most comprehensive information on the 3series, MBWorld for C300 ,Audiworld and Audizine for the A4, ClubLexus for IS, NicoCLub for Q50


There is a ton of information out there comparing these exact models. Ultimately what you go for is based on your personal needs and preferences.


2015-bmw-3-series-vs-2015-mercedes-benz-c-class

2015-mercedes-benz-c-class-vs-2015-audi-a4

That was originally my plan, the CPO option. My plan was to buy a car < 20k miles and 1-2 years life, until i saw this link below. What kind of repairs are we talking about, that are expensive ? Are they from this list below ?
http://cpo.bmwusa.com/Content/docs/B...NotCovered.pdf
Also, does BMW CPO route offers the same warranty and service/maintenance just like the original manufacturer's warranty , as long as the car is in first 4 years of life ? ( I heard conflicting opinions on this)

I test-drove a CPO Infiniti Q50 Hybrid, with 360 bhp and that was the only thing that came close to fun of a BMW (may be i did not test-drive enough cars like MB C300). But, Infiniti Hybrid powertrain warranty is laughable, so did not step on that. The other Q50 versions were below 3 series definitely. For some reason, i am not a fan of Audi. Never had a chance of looking at a Lexus.

I will definitely check the individual forums. I am familiar with bimmerfest and mbworld, but did not know about the others. Thanks for letting me know. Also, based on your experience, do their posts/opinions are unbiased to the brand ?

Any insights on lease vs CPO route ?

That A4 vs 3 series video definitely helped me to re-enforce my belief about 3 series, but the link with C300 vs 3 series comparison made me think about MB which i completely left out for some reason.

Last edited by Koenigsegg220 : 13th August 2017 at 07:57. Reason: Removed video quote,left out warranty in this phrase,which completely changes the meaning:Infiniti Hybrid powertrain warranty
Koenigsegg220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 20:29   #5873
BHPian
 
VPSuchin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 61
Thanked: 66 Times
Post Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
My budget is around 35k, which gives me two options.
Either go for a new car lease (EMI on new lease being equivalent to buying 35k car) or a used car (CPO) with around 20k miles, not older than ~1-2 years.
IMO Ideally the best decision from a financial stand point is buying a CPO vehicle with decent depreciation rather than lease. Lease vs buy is an age-old argument But then again it's a personal choice as for some people a lease works well. BMW usually has really good lease deals. Research Lease vs Buy thoroughly before deciding as leases come with a lot of caveats and conditions .buying-a-car/leasing-vs-buying-a-new-car/

I don't have experience with repairs on the newer 3 series but expect anything to be more expensive in general compared to mainstream cars (e.g.Toyota or Chevy). And yes, CPO warranty is a toned down version of manufacturer 4 year warranty so as you mentioned in the link not everything is covered. Then again, forums are the best source for specific information from owners.

Every single forum is biased and has opinions and specific brand forums even more so. Even major publications and the best YouTube automotive channels are biased in some way. There is no escaping that, just like your friends are biased against SUVs because in their opinion only women drive them


Buy whatever car or SUV you want/need. Don't buy into stereotypes. You can't go wrong with either 328i or the C300.
VPSuchin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 00:03   #5874
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,501
Thanked: 1,664 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
I am in the process of buying my first luxury car in the US. I always want to go for a BMW, but want to check out on other cars and compare in terms of reliability, expenditures in the long run, CPO/lease etc.
I am really missing Team Bhp-esque site in US.
Is there any site like that comes close ?
Let me quickly straighten your doubts !

A bit background - I came to US in Aug 2016. I stay in NJ , walking distance to Trains to NY office. Never required a car. But heavy rental pricing and the sense of not owning a car in the land of cars, made me and wife uneasy. So we decided to go for a car.

I recently (2 weeks) bought a Feb 2017' BMW X1 xDrive 28i - 4400 Miles on ODO.

About the car:
- Certified Pre-Owned. Car is a Loaner Car of the Dealership.
- Comes with all the bells and whistles (packages), except the M-Sport.
- 3 Year Lease with BMW Financial Services.
- 10,000 Miles annual mileage limit (30,000 in 3 years).
- Annual Oil Change (incl Labour) covered under warranty. I pay only for wear and tear and tightening up services.
- 4 Year BMW Warranty Covered.
- Took additional Tire Package, that covers Unlimited Free Tire and Alloys (if needed) replacement. The car has Pirelli RFT. So I take it to any nearby dealership and tire is changed FOC.

All these costs me 439$ per month. Insurance extra.
X1 as an entry level SUV costs this much. If you buy a 3 series or a 2 series, that would be way cheaper per month.

Overall, instead of paying $45,000, I end up paying just about $16,000. However at the end of 3 years, I own nothing.

So my general car buying advice to you:

- Look for Certified Pre-Owned - Through Dealership Only.
- Look for cars which are still under warranty.
- Go for Lease, if you just want to enjoy the car only, and there are no plans of modifications or track events.
- If your company has tie up with Perks at Work, you can get some good discounts.
- Search for the model / variant on True Car to get an estimate.
- If you do not have a great Credit History (either due to not owning many cards; or less time in US, like me; or didn't pay your bills on time), then do not buy a car on Loan. Your interest rate will kill you. Go for a Lease then.
- I was refused a Lease at a Mazda dealership due to my non-immigrant status.
- BMW Financial Services is a great organization. They have some corporate lease plans which is pretty good. My lease application was Approved in 20 mins. I submitted my Company's US Deputation Letter, Passport, Visa, i94.

Good Luck

Quick Edit:

Q) Why X1 ?
A) Because Q3 is Boring, GLA is Tiny. RDX and C5 were so so.

Q) Why not a 3 series ?
A) Because the rear bench's floor hump of a RWD sedan makes the middle person sit like a frog. 3 series is essentially a 4 seater.

Q) What other cars ?
A) I loved the Mazda 6 Grand Touring.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 15th August 2017 at 00:09.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 01:10   #5875
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,590 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
I was an SUV buff earlier. But, my friends here pointed it to me that only women drive SUVs in US, strangely for some reason.

Please do not take me as sexist. I am just conveying something i heard, which made me think and observe, and it is true among 90% of the SUVs i spotted.
If there is one advice I can give you, it is this:
DO NOT FALL FOR STEREOTYPED SUGGESTIONS.
Following are some of them that you'll hear:
Rednecks drive F150s or a Dodge (recent incident in VA might support that though )
Vaping hippies drive GTIs
Desis eager to show class drive BMWs
Penny pinching desis drive Honda/Toyota
Last but not the least, women drive SUVs or Jeeps

You are in the land of automobile nirvana. Don't let others' myopic views come in the way of fulfilling your desires.
amitoj is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 02:35   #5876
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Let me quickly straighten your doubts !

A bit background - I came to US in Aug 2016. I stay in NJ , walking distance to Trains to NY office. Never required a car. But heavy rental pricing and the sense of not owning a car in the land of cars, made me and wife uneasy. So we decided to go for a car.

I recently (2 weeks) bought a Feb 2017' BMW X1 xDrive 28i - 4400 Miles on ODO.
How do you find the driving dynamics - i.e., this being a Mini platform (FWD based) car vs. the rest of the BMW lineup? I have a friend who has the X1 and she cares zilch about dynamics anyway .

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

You are in the land of automobile nirvana. Don't let others' myopic views come in the way of fulfilling your desires.
With you on that one. The whole automobile industry is shifting towards CUVs/SUVs - sedans are dying a slow death. Can't be because of all women. I don't know who came up with the "only women drive SUVs" piece. As fuel efficiency increases, CUVs become more attractive to people because they are more spacious and practical. Although, why station wagons don't get the same love is beyond me.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 02:42   #5877
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,501
Thanked: 1,664 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
How do you find the driving dynamics - i.e., this being a Mini platform (FWD based) car vs. the rest of the BMW lineup? I have a friend who has the X1 and she cares zilch about dynamics anyway .
There are 2 variants of X1 - s-Drive (FWD) and x-Drive (AWD).
I have the xDrive. Dynamics are superb. Handles curves on highways well at 80 mph.
However, do bear in mind that my upgrade is from Beat to X1. So anything thrown at me at the moment feels superb
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 05:09   #5878
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,012
Thanked: 3,455 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
I was an SUV buff earlier. But, my friends here pointed it to me that only women drive SUVs in US, strangely for some reason.

Please do not take me as sexist. I am just conveying something i heard, which made me think and observe, and it is true among 90% of the SUVs i spotted.
This trend is seen in other developed countries too. The reason i see for this is that most families in these countries have atleast 2-3 kids within similar age brackets. This would mean they need to be within a child harness such as baby seat, child seat etc. Try strapping a kid into one of these while using a sedan, and then try doing the same on a CUV/SUV/Minivan. The reason for their popularity becomes obvious straightaway.

Also, not all sedans are able to accommodate 3 child seats side by side while still being able to lean in to access the seatbelt if needed.

Most homes also have more than one car, so the smaller car usually gets used if the above needs don't apply. Bigger cars also portray the sense of safety owing to its size, and better visibility too. There is also the added need to carry sporting equipment when doing the soccer mom runs, as well as the camping gear etc when going away for a weekend. Clearly the sedans lose out straight away.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 06:23   #5879
BHPian
 
dr.abhijeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 219
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

The best type of car for ferrying kids is a minivan. However, there is a stigma associated with minivans, in spite of the fact that all current entries in the USDM are nudging 300 BHP.
Mainstream 3 row BOF which are true SUV( read good off road capability, low range, etc) are a dying breed. Instead most of these are now car based platforms with on demand AWD.
Crossovers are the fastest growing market while midsize and full-size sedans are shrinking at an alarming rate.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2017, 07:14   #5880
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,012
Thanked: 3,455 Times
Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
The best type of car for ferrying kids is a minivan. However, there is a stigma associated with minivans, in spite of the fact that all current entries in the USDM are nudging 300 BHP.
Mainstream 3 row BOF which are true SUV( read good off road capability, low range, etc) are a dying breed. Instead most of these are now car based platforms with on demand AWD.
Crossovers are the fastest growing market while midsize and full-size sedans are shrinking at an alarming rate.
I dont want to divert too much from the topic, but thought I'd just mention that the trend in Australia is quite different.

The traditional full fledged SUVs are now being rapidly replaced with dual cab utes or pickups, as family cars. Gives them the advantage of the rock solid ladder frame with low range capability for 4WDing, as well as the tray for carrying gear while separated from the passenger cabin. Most also have a lockable rear canopy which is added or removed depending on the load one is looking to carry. Also serves well as a work vehicle.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 29 29th August 2017 00:57
Car of the Year 2012 -North America volkman10 The International Automotive Scene 0 10th January 2012 17:31
President and COO of Toyota North America joins Chrysler highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 11 9th September 2007 21:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks