Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 12th April 2012, 19:18   #841
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
How is safeauto for car insurance? Getting lowest quote from them.
Have no first hand information on them, but google results aren't very favorable.
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 21:31   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
How is safeauto for car insurance? Getting lowest quote from them.
I think they are known for minimum coverage. Usually if you crash and your insurance doesn't cover all the damages (property, human life, limbs, anguish, all included), rest has to go out of your pocket or even future earnings.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 18:47   #843
Senior - BHPian

After researching through all the available options, I have finally zeroed down on the ford escape (limited variant if I can get hold of one).

Prices listed in the used car market seems to be less than the KBB value, is it simply due to the number of cars available? Options are aplenty. Reviews of the car are positive, reliability ratings are good, FE good for the segment, and satisfies all my requirements with the exception of an overdose of beige on the interiors including the steering wheel!!!

I would ideally like to retain the car for a minimum of 3 years time and I'm getting good samples from 2008, which have done 60-70k on the odo within my budget. How long can these realistically run without any issues?

Is my choice good? Any suggestions/feedback on the same? Please let me know.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 21:59   #844
BHPian

Not a bad choice at all.

KBB/Edmunds/Cars.com evaluations are 'for direction' only. Actual prices of the vehicles can and invariably are a bit different than KBB's, so do not worry there.

2008 Escapes are good vehicles from a reliability perspective. If possible paste the URL for the vehicle/s from the portals that you are zeroing in on.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 23:49   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

Is my choice good? Any suggestions/feedback on the same? Please let me know.
It is a solid entrant in the compact SUV segment. One of the few in that segment that still retain the old school boxy shape. You even have an escape hybrid (i think), if fuel economy is a concern.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 12:05   #846
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for your response. I will share the details when I do finalize the same. Planning to do it sometime next month when I arrive there.

I'm pretty happy with the old school shape (may be with the exception of chrome on the front grill), but my question is, realisitically what is the mileage on the odo that these cars can run without any issues?

I'm not too keen on hybrid, since I dont foresee much of running anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Not a bad choice at all.

KBB/Edmunds/Cars.com evaluations are 'for direction' only. Actual prices of the vehicles can and invariably are a bit different than KBB's, so do not worry there.

2008 Escapes are good vehicles from a reliability perspective. If possible paste the URL for the vehicle/s from the portals that you are zeroing in on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
It is a solid entrant in the compact SUV segment. One of the few in that segment that still retain the old school boxy shape. You even have an escape hybrid (i think), if fuel economy is a concern.
Old 15th April 2012, 12:17   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Made my day Bala! I guess this is one of those the cultural things we doting desi's have about parenting.
Tell me about it.
We have been trying to *brainwash* our three year old daughter that when we move to US, she will have her very own seat to sit in!! I am quite sure she wont like it very much in the beginning, but i guess we will have to buy some interesting toys or books or dolls for her to keep her busy. Or get a car with one of those TVs in the headrest.

EDIT: Btw, it has been confirmed that the 2013 Ram1500 Hemi will come paired with the 8 speed AT.

Last edited by amitoj : 15th April 2012 at 12:21.
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 14:09   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Thank you very much for your response. I will share the details when I do finalize the same. Planning to do it sometime next month when I arrive there.

I'm pretty happy with the old school shape (may be with the exception of chrome on the front grill), but my question is, realisitically what is the mileage on the odo that these cars can run without any issues?

I'm not too keen on hybrid, since I dont foresee much of running anyways.
this statement was true until few years ago - Fords (most of them) and GM run only upto 100,000 miles without issues; after that major engine work MAY be required.
modern Fords are more reliable though.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 19:51   #849
Senior - BHPian

Very true. My younger daugher is 2 years old and so far she hasnt been away from mom on her car rides. It will be difficult atleast for the first few days for her to accomodate to this change.

I'm also quite optimistic of getting her used to this change, but its definititely going to take its time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Tell me about it.
We have been trying to *brainwash* our three year old daughter that when we move to US, she will have her very own seat to sit in!! I am quite sure she wont like it very much in the beginning, but i guess we will have to buy some interesting toys or books or dolls for her to keep her busy. Or get a car with one of those TVs in the headrest.
Old 18th April 2012, 03:54   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
this statement was true until few years ago - Fords (most of them) and GM run only upto 100,000 miles without issues; after that major engine work MAY be required.
modern Fords are more reliable though.
I won't consider a 2007-2008 Ford Escape among 'Modern' Fords. I would put my money anything after late 2010s when the Big Three raised their games. The 2008 Escape did had poor ride quality, loads of road/wind noise, poor interior fit and finish compared to its competitors and thirsty engines.

Also, its hard to find good pieces of Escape. Its a good buy if one can buy a mildly used Escape or similar
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 06:14   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

EDIT: Btw, it has been confirmed that the 2013 Ram1500 Hemi will come paired with the 8 speed AT.
Did you see the new infiniti jx. Most probably this will be my next car. very few luxury brands have a utility cars like this.

I was eyeing a used R series from merc but this feels much better. Too bad it's just released so no used car market for this one.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 21st April 2012 at 06:15.
Old 21st April 2012, 12:43   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Did you see the new infiniti jx. Most probably this will be my next car. very few luxury brands have a utility cars like this.

I was eyeing a used R series from merc but this feels much better. Too bad it's just released so no used car market for this one.
Saw it after reading your post. Looks nice, specially that huge moonroof! I have not paid much attention to the SUV/Crossover segment though.
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 16:04   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post

Mercedes is considering pulling the plug on the R class (or they already have decided) in the US. The JX is very appealing for people with larger families and also, it has a much more attractive price point, as compared to the R class. in fact it may just be 20% more than a fully loaded Odyssey or Siena!
vineethvazhayil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 21:36   #854
Team-BHP Support

Arrow re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Mercedes is considering pulling the plug on the R class (or they already have decided) in the US. The JX is very appealing for people with larger families and also, it has a much more attractive price point, as compared to the R class. in fact it may just be 20% more than a fully loaded Odyssey or Siena!
Yes, no R-Classes to be sold in the US. Very few were bought.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:28   #855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yeah! I just tried to configure one with technology and driver assist package (you know, lane departure warning system, mumbo-jumbo cruise control etc) and it came to 56K .

I guess I could get one within 50k without the mumbo jumbo. top end odyssey is about 43K and has none of that.