Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 28th August 2012, 00:13   #1216
BHPian

Default re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Guys,

Can we get some pictures of the cars that are being test driven? Mobile uploads should be fine. That'll make it easy for all the forum participants to get an idea of what we're talking about. Just a thought!!
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 01:01   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
^^ Do you think baby seats would fit in the FRS rear?? Both rear facing and front facing??
I have to say that depends on individual's. I am 6 feet and 210 pounds. So once i got comfortable in my driver seat, there was absolutely no space behind me. Same for the passenger side. My wife is 5' 4" and once she adjusted for comfort, there was very very less space at the back. So if a child seat was to be kept it would be very tight and it may get claustrophobic for the child.

G37 coupe, GC, Camaro, Challenger, Accord and Altima coupes will be better in this regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Guys,

Can we get some pictures of the cars that are being test driven? Mobile uploads should be fine. That'll make it easy for all the forum participants to get an idea of what we're talking about. Just a thought!!
That is a good idea. Or may be use a picture of the net if not able to click with a phone.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 12:11   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Chevelle: this was also the opinion of an online test which I saw. I didnt wanna jump in as my opinion would be biased. But as your already in the market test drive all of it before taking the plunge. The FRS is a good attempt though.

One query to all. What's the kinda insurance policy you take. The different slabs and options? Currently I have comprehensive and collision wit 100/300k bodily injury with both under and uninsured motorist. Well am trying to reduce my premiums so some tips please.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 21:16   #1219
Team-BHP Support

Found a pretty good Site for car buying tips in USA, thought I would share here

New car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 02:06   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Chevelle: this was also the opinion of an online test which I saw. I didnt wanna jump in as my opinion would be biased. But as your already in the market test drive all of it before taking the plunge. The FRS is a good attempt though.

One query to all. What's the kinda insurance policy you take. The different slabs and options? Currently I have comprehensive and collision wit 100/300k bodily injury with both under and uninsured motorist. Well am trying to reduce my premiums so some tips please.
Let me know which website was that, i would love to read that and compare notes. May be also ready other reviews to get a better perspective.

Any major website i have seen, most are praising FR-S and BRZ like anything. I personally didn't find it as good as the hype suggest.

The insurance policy you have is good. It covers pretty much everything and since it is for a new car, it is advisable to take a comprehensive policy. Your premiums will automatically reduce as renewals come. Initially i was paying $110/mo for 2 cars. Now i am paying $81/mo for same. The amount came down because of my relocation and also because of longer insurance duration. Obviously, you can occasionally cross check with other companies as to what they are offering so you know you are not overpaying premiums. Once you have that number, you can negotiate.

You will find local insurance companies that have lower premiums but are pain to claim. That is why it is best to stick to popular ones like Geico, Progressive, esurance, farmers and then some more.

Wait 6 months and then cross check with other companies, i am sure you will get a lower quote than before. Just keep it clean. No tickets, no accidents and it should go down.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 04:03   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
I took insurance from AllState for my new Elantra. I'm paying $650 for 6 months for 250k/500k/100k coverage with collision deductible at $500.

My agent told me that their underwriter rules have become very strict since last 2-3 months. Because a friend of mine in same situation as me is paying $450 for 6 months when he bought CR-V 4 months back.

The agent has told me to check back in about 2 months to see if their rules have changed again.

EDIT: My agent gave me a discount for a driver rated at level 3. He considered my international driving experience in lieu of US driving experience. It's like not have a bad driving record is good.

Last edited by Gandhi : 29th August 2012 at 04:05.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 04:23   #1222
Team-BHP Support

Arrow re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
^^ Do you think baby seats would fit in the FRS rear?? Both rear facing and front facing??
It's a pain getting a baby in & out of any coupe - front facing seats get a bit easier as by then the child's a bit older and can sort-of support himself/herself while getting in the seat.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 07:02   #1223
Senior - BHPian

The video is here

I am paying 1150 for 6 months which i feel is VERY HIGH. Tried getting a quote from Statefarm but it was the same. Will try allstate too.

More info from others would be awesome too.
Old 29th August 2012, 07:12   #1224
Team-BHP Support

Arrow re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
I am paying 1150 for 6 months which i feel is VERY HIGH. Tried getting a quote from Statefarm but it was the same. Will try allstate too.

Yes, that is high but it's not an uncommon figure.

Depends on your age and your driving history within the US.

If you have no driving history (e.g. if you are new to the US &/ have just got your license), or if you're under 21, or if you have accidents / tickets / points on on license, your rates will be high.

Between 21-25 they start lowering and above 30 you reach a comfortable level.

You should keep shopping around every couple of months and you should get a better rate once you've owned a car for at least a year or two.
aah78 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 07:22   #1225
Senior - BHPian

My problem is am 28 and got my US license in 2010. I got a insurance in 2011 so i guess this is why. I should shop around more.
Old 29th August 2012, 10:51   #1226
BHPian

@maddy,

I would recommend you trying an Insurance Agent. They have access to a number of companies and will try to get you the best number possible. Also, if you're renting, try to get a combined rate for renters plus auto. You might get a decent rate. If you're a house owner you already should be doing that.

Your rate is quite high even for a short history. What I did when I first moved to US from Canada was add my auto insurance with an existing account of a relative. That way I got the same discounted rate since he had multiple vehicles plus house insured with American Family. I had him listed as the primary owner and myself as the secondary owner. Just throwing out some ideas.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 18:20   #1227
Distinguished - BHPian

Man cars in Canada are so expensive compared to US! Any idea why?
On an average, every car with same trim etc is 10CAD more expensive in Canada.

My brother-in-law is looking to buy a 7 seater SUV and he has Acadia, Traverse on his list if new, and Highlander, Pilot if second hand.

He was almost sold on Acadia/Traverse until he saw their dashboard in comparison to Highlander/Pilot. There was difference of at least 10 years between the two. Now he is looking at Durango/Journey too!!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 19:29   #1228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Man cars in Canada are so expensive compared to US! Any idea why?
On an average, every car with same trim etc is 10CAD more expensive in Canada.

My brother-in-law is looking to buy a 7 seater SUV and he has Acadia, Traverse on his list if new, and Highlander, Pilot if second hand.

He was almost sold on Acadia/Traverse until he saw their dashboard in comparison to Highlander/Pilot. There was difference of at least 10 years between the two. Now he is looking at Durango/Journey too!!
The population of Canada is about 30 Million - so its essentially 10% the size of the US market. This overpricing mentality came into being when CAD was like .7 USD. The CAD has now come on par but the pricing is still based on the old formula. The issue comes up and dies down - haven't seen any significant progress till date. That's the reason why you will see malls in US cities close to the border choc-o-bloc with Canadian shoppers.

The price difference in the economy segment is not much but as you go higher, the gap increases significantly. This prompted higher end buyers to buy from US and it became such an issue that a lot of auto companies now void warranties for cars imported from US to Canada unless brought in when you are immigrating. US dealers selling new cars to Canadians is also frowned upon and often results in penalties for dealers.

Ask your bother-in-law to look for a gently used Highlander which is still under warranty in US. Toyota is one company that'll transfer warranty.
mohit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 19:39   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I've always got the lowest rates from Geico. I got a license in the US in 2010 too. I pay like 400 odd for 6 months. That depends on your car also. Typically Top safety picks with very good theft deterrent measures are cheaper to insure. Another thing is where you live also matters. So it may not all be because you have a short driving history.
vineethvazhayil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 19:46   #1230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
The population of Canada is about 30 Million - so its essentially 10% the size of the US market. This overpricing mentality came into being when CAD was like .7 USD. The CAD has now come on par but the pricing is still based on the old formula. The issue comes up and dies down - haven't seen any significant progress till date. That's the reason why you will see malls in US cities close to the border choc-o-bloc with Canadian shoppers.

Ask your bother-in-law to look for a gently used Highlander which is still under warranty in US. Toyota is one company that'll transfer warranty.
Thats some interesting fact there, Mohit!

Well, getting a car from US is possible but it involves a lot of running around. Plus, he will be getting the car financed. So that add even more complexity. He did consider that option but then gave up after researching it a bit more.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote