Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 2nd October 2012, 04:08   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
This is slightly off topic but do you guys have any preferences for gas stations? Like chevron vs shell vs costco etc?
whenever doing long trips, i try to stick to Chevron, 76 or shell for premium fuel. For regular fuel, whatever comes my way when traveling, i fill it up depending on the availability of fuel.

When commuting, i do it from Costco for both the cars as and when needed. The closest Costco to my place is 2 miles away, so its not a problem. Once in a while, i fill premium from Shell in my G since it supposedly comes with fuel boosters that clean up the fuel system.

Haven't really noticed any major difference when filling regular fuel from valero, costco and shell. The difference in fuel economy is hardly 0.5 mpg when filled from different gas stations. So the closest one is what i go for.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 05:37   #1307
BHPian

When I lived in Ohio, I used to pump gas at the Giant Eagle gas station. I got 20 cents off per gallon for every $50 spent at the store, and 10 cents of the store bill for every gallon of gas I pumped at their gas station. No limits. That was great.

In Vegas, I pump at the Smiths gas station. I get 10 cents of every gallon for every $50 I spent at the store with a max of $1.00 off per gallon. Not bad. And because of the deal, the gas station is always busy and that ensures fresh gas. Luckily, the Smiths gas station I go to, seems to be 10 to 20 cents cheaper than the ones around here. So that doesn't hurt either. But nothing like the OH deal. That was really sweet. And to boot, you got 94 octane gas. That's the only gas I put in my 911. The best out here is 91 octane. I only use it on my GXP and now the 'vette. The CX-9 gets regular with the 91 octane once every two or three fills. As a rule, I stick to gas stations that look busy.

Once or twice a year, I use Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner that I pick up from Autozone on each of my car, if I sense any minor roughness in my engine. Seems to be good although, apparently if you fill at Chevron, the gas already contains it. I prefer the concentrated shot I get. They have one for 17 gallon tank and one for 20 gallon tank. I use them mainly to keep my injectors clean. Need to put them when the tank is nearly empty so that the whole tank of gas is treated. I stay away from STP products. They're crap, in my opinion.

I stay away from any oil additives. I don't like the fact that it might change the oil characteristics. I've only used Mobil 1 (5W30 mostly) full synthetic for the last 19 years, except for Amsoil on my 911.

Last edited by VLOCT : 2nd October 2012 at 05:40.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:24   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
This is slightly off topic but do you guys have any preferences for gas stations? Like chevron vs shell vs costco etc?
Shell 93 all the way. If not that, then Mobil 93. That's for my car.

For rentals, the cheapest 87 (or 89?) rating fuel i can find
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 19:04   #1309
BHPian

I stick to what is the recommended octane rating for my vehicles, although most modern cars tend to adapt to lower octane rating automatically.

The only rule I follow is to stay away from ethanol blended gasoline (which means all the Costco and Sunoco outlets in Michigan). I'd rather pay 30 cents more for pure petrol than a blend. The 10% drop in mpg's nullifies the $ advantage of the blended gas anyway. That being said, it is possible that other (reputed) outlets may be selling blends too, without actually indicating it on the fuel pump like Costco and Sunoco do.

BP and Shell are my preferred outlets, although I have to say this - there is very little proof that a Shell's octane 93 is any better or worse than a Citgo's 93. It ultimately depends on the integrity of the gas station owner to provide his customers with the true rating of gas. Gas station owners (mostly Arab guys in my area) are known to take delivery from 2 tankers at each replenishment...one branded, the other not branded. Your guess is as good as mine whether the 93 octane at their stations is really that

As for oil, I switch to AMSOIL when my cars go past 50/60K miles.

By the way, I have an amusing observation. Have you observed how us folks in the US use this single thread to discuss e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g from tires to electronics to test drives to actual purchases to opinions/queries, whereas our brothers from the homeland tend to open a new thread for a-n-y little thing.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 2nd October 2012 at 19:10.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2012, 19:52   #1310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
By the way, I have an amusing observation. Have you observed how us folks in the US use this single thread to discuss e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g from tires to electronics to test drives to actual purchases to opinions/queries, whereas our brothers from the homeland tend to open a new thread for a-n-y little thing.
Yeah thats quite true!
Maybe we should get the thread renamed to something like "Buying, owning, driving and maintaining a car or anything else in North America"
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:27   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only rule I follow is to stay away from ethanol blended gasoline (which means all the Costco and Sunoco outlets in Michigan). I'd rather pay 30 cents more for pure petrol than a blend. The 10% drop in mpg's nullifies the $ advantage of the blended gas anyway. That being said, it is possible that other (reputed) outlets may be selling blends too, without actually indicating it on the fuel pump like Costco and Sunoco do.

BP and Shell are my preferred outlets, although I have to say this - there is very little proof that a Shell's octane 93 is any better or worse than a Citgo's 93.
I fill from Costco and they say it has 10% ethanol. I fill from Shell and Chevron from time to time. I haven't noticed the 10% drop in mpg. I monitor the difference during my 30 mile commute only as it is everyday the same. Can you please explain why you don't prefer the blended gas? Any other disadvantage that i should be aware of?

I wish we had get 93 here. The max is 91. We have 87,89,91.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
When I lived in Ohio, I used to pump gas at the Giant Eagle gas station. I got 20 cents off per gallon for every $50 spent at the store, and 10 cents of the store bill for every gallon of gas I pumped at their gas station. No limits. That was great.

In Vegas, I pump at the Smiths gas station. I get 10 cents of every gallon for every $50 I spent at the store with a max of $1.00 off per gallon. Not bad. And because of the deal, the gas station is always busy and that ensures fresh gas. Luckily, the Smiths gas station I go to, seems to be 10 to 20 cents cheaper than the ones around here. So that doesn't hurt either.
Safeway and Savemart here have this deals where for every $50 or $100 you spend on shopping, you get 10 cents off a gallon at Shell. It is more or less the same. I like that but overall it still turns out a little expensive than what is available at Chevron, Costco and 76.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 03:17   #1312
Team-BHP Support

I fill from Racetrack they are cheapest(& closest to my place) & like VLOCT said, its one of the Busy Gas Stations so gives me some peace of mind.

I have been told that adding a pack of injector cleaner helps improving mileage & also keep injectors clean. Did that on last trip & actually found the mileage to be slightly less, although i must admit that there was a lot of uphill driving involved.

So not sure if it had a negative impact or no impact.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yeah thats quite true!
Maybe we should get the thread renamed to something like "Buying, owning, driving and maintaining a car or anything else in North America"
Agree, updated the thread title accordingly
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:06   #1313
BHPian

Default Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I fill from Costco and they say it has 10% ethanol. I fill from Shell and Chevron from time to time. I haven't noticed the 10% drop in mpg. I monitor the difference during my 30 mile commute only as it is everyday the same. Can you please explain why you don't prefer the blended gas? Any other disadvantage that i should be aware of?
My personal experience with 10% ethanol blend is a straight 10%^ loss of mpg's. Tried and tested true several times on each of my cars over the past many years.

I am not sure if blends harm the engines. Probably not with immediate effect, else they wouldn't be so prevalent. (There are many forums on which people curse blends).

http://www.fuel-testers.com/about_ethanol_fuel.html

http://www.fuel-testers.com/expirati...hanol_gas.html

The most plausible case against blends may be that of phase separation coming from ethanol's affinity for water. Moisture in the air/tank can cause ethanol and petrol to separate, and the ethanol+water to sink at the bottom of the tank (meaning trouble for the fuel system).

Also, I'm told that if you are using blends, refuel frequently because alcohol blended gas has a shorter effective shelf life than pure petrol.
NinadJoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:03   #1314
BHPian

While working On a Ford Engine project, Ford engineers had recommended not to use blends on engines before 2005.

The reason was , the fuel rubber pipes were not designed for their use with Ethanol. Maybe the pipe material might be stong enough to handle the mosture and chemical charactectericts of ethanol, but it was not tested.

Buy anyway our program had to use E85 on a pre 2005 Ford engine. The testing procedure included, Running the engine with 100% lab fuel after tests with E85 was completed to flush any ethanol in the lines.

No references for this, since all actual info is confidential.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 02:23   #1315
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, what does one need to do here to get drive your car on a track?
From what I have been able to gather so far, it seems you need to be a member of some club and the club will then host track events. So far, SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and SCDA (Sporta Car Driving Association) seem to fit that bill. But are their memberships worth it?
amitoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 03:28   #1316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I plan to change oil when the oil life indicator shows 10%-15% (that's the recommendation i got from Accord forums)
Honda strictly recommends regular services only when the service reminder code shows up. It happens when the oil life falls below 10% and also based on the mileage. A code shows up on the dash (for eg: A1 means 'A' service which is oil change and '1' service which is tire rotation needs to be done.

Even though the dealer/mechanic recommends oil change at every 3000/3500 miles, we should go according to Honda's recommendation. In fact I did the first service for my brand new Accord at 6,800 miles after reading such things in the Accord forums. Next service would also be done when the service reminder code shows up.

Glad you chose the fully loaded Accord. Very good choice. Since it is a fully loaded variant, you can take off that negative that it is a desi favorite. Not all desis buy fully loaded variants
vineeth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 05:53   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
From what I have been able to gather so far, it seems you need to be a member of some club and the club will then host track events. So far, SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and SCDA (Sporta Car Driving Association) seem to fit that bill. But are their memberships worth it?
Actually you don't need a membership for SCCA events. They give you a guest membership for the track day alone.

What i would do to get my car on track would be
-look at the calendar of the local track
eg, Putnam park, IN
http://putnampark.com/wp/index.php/schedule/

- it seems that on the schedule there are quite a bot of events with 10/10th motorsports. I would sign up for an event with them to drive on Putnam park, IN

http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com/page/page/5236308.htm
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 07:33   #1318
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Actually you don't need a membership for SCCA events.
Yes, as Jomz said keep checking the track websites for event schedules.
Also, browse through local car forums - they will have track events & autocross listings.
Some forum members also rent a track for a certain period and each member pays his %.

Only thing you have to worry about is your car being in good shape and special insurance.
Also, of course, at a minimum have a set of brake pads (&/ rotors) and a set of tires ready.
aah78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 20:14   #1319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineeth47 View Post
Honda strictly recommends regular services only when the service reminder code shows up. It happens when the oil life falls below 10% and also based on the mileage. A code shows up on the dash (for eg: A1 means 'A' service which is oil change and '1' service which is tire rotation needs to be done.

Even though the dealer/mechanic recommends oil change at every 3000/3500 miles, we should go according to Honda's recommendation. In fact I did the first service for my brand new Accord at 6,800 miles after reading such things in the Accord forums. Next service would also be done when the service reminder code shows up.

Glad you chose the fully loaded Accord. Very good choice. Since it is a fully loaded variant, you can take off that negative that it is a desi favorite. Not all desis buy fully loaded variants
Thanks & yes I plan to change as per indication on the car.

Yeah, not many desis buy top end Accords, I was looking sure about going for fully loaded, The rear Camera is still not there so I may add it a few months later, I just wish they had the Paddle shifters in my Model as well

I believe your Coupe would have them, right? Which engine option did you choose?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 21:30   #1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

I believe your Coupe would have them, right? Which engine option did you choose?
No, mine doesn't. It is an LX-S. 190 hp, 4 cyclinder with 17" alloys and 6 CD changer with USB, Aux support.
vineeth47 is offline   Reply With Quote