Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 23:50   #5596
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
If you don't have storage and can only have one set of shoes for your car try the Continental DWS06.

Nokian WRG3 and Vredestein Quattrac are 2 all seasons which are certified as snow tires.
Old 24th December 2016, 00:31   #5597
BHPian

Reaching out for advise here for a second car. We currently maintain dual residences and am in Seattle for around 10 days a month (am looking for work there). We own an accord in Chicago and we want to get a AWD in Seattle for exploring Washington state in the winter. If and when I do land a job in Seattle, the accord would still remain as a daily driver.

Renting a car in Seattle so frequently is turning out to be expensive ($400 +) and thus I was looking to lease a vehicle. Currently leaning towards a Mazda CX5 with 209/Month, 39-Month Lease, $1,999 due at Lease Signing and a $595 acquisition fee. What other options should I look at withing a $300 monthly payment ?
Old 24th December 2016, 09:41   #5598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Reaching out for advise here for a second car. We currently maintain dual residences and am in Seattle for around 10 days a month (am looking for work there). We own an accord in Chicago and we want to get a AWD in Seattle for exploring Washington state in the winter. If and when I do land a job in Seattle, the accord would still remain as a daily driver.

Renting a car in Seattle so frequently is turning out to be expensive ($400 +) and thus I was looking to lease a vehicle. Currently leaning towards a Mazda CX5 with 209/Month, 39-Month Lease, $1,999 due at Lease Signing and a $595 acquisition fee. What other options should I look at withing a $300 monthly payment ?
Consider a Subaru, they have one of the best AWD systems, are built like tanks and are really reliable. You should be able to lease an Impreza for under $250 or if you want an SUV, give the Forester a look. They're not as good looking as Mazdas but they really hold value fantastically well. I'd also advise looking at a certified pre owned Subaru.
Old 24th December 2016, 22:20   #5599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentonwheels View Post
Consider a Subaru, they have one of the best AWD systems, are built like tanks and are really reliable. You should be able to lease an Impreza for under $250 or if you want an SUV, give the Forester a look. They're not as good looking as Mazdas but they really hold value fantastically well. I'd also advise looking at a certified pre owned Subaru.
Just test drove a 2017 Impreza - I'd say it is underpowered and very lightweight. I've previously owned the forester and I have the same feedback for the base engine - it just doesn't have enough power on steep elevations. However, the forester turbo should be great. If you are planning to be up in the mountains quite a bit, I'd try to get a turbo engined car. The 150 bhp boxer engine is ok for a commuter car but if you are going to spend a significant amount of time in high elevation, that will drop another 15 - 20%. Forced induction engines would do much better for you. Just my 2 c. Pre-owned demand for Subaru vehicles in the Pacific NW is very high. You may score better deals on new cars vs. used there.
Old 24th December 2016, 22:33   #5600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Just test drove a 2017 Impreza - I'd say it is underpowered and very lightweight. I've previously owned the forester and I have the same feedback for the base engine - it just doesn't have enough power on steep elevations.
Try a manual, the feel has to do lot with the terrible CVT they use.
Old 24th December 2016, 23:08   #5601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
That could quite possibly be the reason. Not a lot of manuals on dealer lots. They also have a new sport trim with some recalibrated sportier settings for the AWD and larger wheels and lower ride height.
Old 26th December 2016, 02:20   #5602
BHPian

Quote:

Land Rover discovery sport?? It is a bit over 300, but is a evoque with 7 seater capacity.

LEASE

$349 First month’s payment
$2,351 Down payment
$0 Security deposit
$795 Acquisition fee

*2016 Discovery Sport SE. 39 month lease, $3,495 due at signing includes $2,351 down, $0 security deposit, $795 acquisition fee and first month's payment, excludes retailer fees, taxes, title and registration fees. Actual rates and payments of closed-end lease may vary. Not compatible with other offers. For well qualified lessees as determined by approved lender. For special lease terms, take new vehicle delivery from retailer stock by 01/03/17. All amounts shown are estimates, retailer sets actual amounts. Lessee responsible for insurance, maintenance, excess wear and excess mileage over 32,500 miles at $0.30/mile. Based on MSRP of $38,450 (includes destination and delivery) with a residual value of $21,532 as of 11/01/16.
Old 28th December 2016, 03:04   #5603
BHPian

Quote:

Test drive the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I almost leased one 6 months ago but ended up getting a Jaguar XF because me and my wife love driving sedans. I was looking at a 2016 model High Altitude package and was quoted 430$ out the door. I still get email's from the dealership in Kirkland and saw some deals on 2017 models for $273 with $1999 down or $326 zero down 36 months for the LAREDO trim. The LAREDO may not have the Active cruise control and the all terrain system(adjust's the height with extra driving modes) but if is very spacious and comfortable. The rear seat reclines as well. It had a nice cushy ride and an awesome turning radius. Don't forget to add the tax to those numbers but you can always make a deal.

If you don't need the size look at the Ford edge as well. It was nicer to drive than the Mazda but that's a personal preference. Good Luck!!
Old 28th December 2016, 03:34   #5604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Pre-owned demand for Subaru vehicles in the Pacific NW is very high. You may score better deals on new cars vs. used there.
Looking at new cars only since this will be a lease.
Quote:
Has to be a conventional slush box as the Mrs can't drive a stick shift
Quote:
Land Rover discovery sport?? It is a bit over 300, but is a evoque with 7 seater capacity.
Planning to check out one of these after the holidays. IMO its the best looker of the lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Test drive the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Never liked the ones that I have rented - I forget what trim. These are at the bottom of my list.
Old 28th December 2016, 05:46   #5605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentonwheels View Post
Some of my thoughts on leasing, since we're on that topic...Its just that I favor buying over leasing.
While i won't comment on five points since its your personal opinion, the info about Money Factor and car comparison is misleading.

MF is not calculated in percentage as you have mentioned. If a person is paying 0.009 as MF (hoping % was a typo), he/she is being taken royally on a ride without even getting into the new car. A good MF would be 0.00090 or something like that. I have a MF of 0.00040 on Volt which is around 1%. Easy way to calculate is MF * 2400. If you are getting high MF, you can usually bring it down by paying MSDs with some manufacturer or negotiate with dealer and ask them to contact different bank.

Also, the comparison you have used is again misleading. A new car vs a pre-owned car is apples and oranges. In your example, you have a car that has done 41k miles in a year or two with lot many unknowns. Was it a rental? Was it abused? Was it in an accident but not reported? How about maintenance history? What about maintenance in next 3 years when it will have more miles and will age? What happens if your car is stolen/totaled? How much will you get back? In case of lease, you just walk. How your resale will be affected if there is an accident reported? Also, you haven't mentioned if you put any money down, interest rate you will be paying (currently, pre-owned are minimum 2.49% APR). Compare that to brand new car, no maintenance to worry about, APR/MF of 1% or less while leasing and difference increases.

Sorry to burst your friend's and your bubble, but the deal she got is nowhere near what one should pay for a Corolla. A rule of thumb is, certain cars are better to buy than to lease. A VW Jetta would lease way better than a Corolla, similarly a Corolla would be best if purchased. This is due to multiple factors like resale/MF/Cap reduction and then some more. Similarly a BMW or Merc leases way better than an Audi. An Infiniti leases way better than a Lexus. She could have leased a Jetta SE for $180/mo with $500-$1000 down. For $250, she could have bought a Mini Cooper or a BMW 320i or a Volt.

Another big factor to keep in mind while leasing is to ensure maintenance is covered. For instance, a Chevy Cruze can be leased at $200/mo or less (last year it was $100/mo) and also has 2 year maintenance included. So one has to pay for only 3rd year maintenance which is less than $100. Compare that to Corolla in which there is regular service that cost around $50 per trip and it doesn't make sense.

And you can get out of lease once it is over. Only thing you will pay is $400 disposition fee. And that is usually waived if you lease or buy another vehicle from same/another manufacturer.

I agree with you though, leasing is not for everyone. For people who keep their cars for long term, it doesn't make sense. For people who drive a lot in a year also need not lease. By the way, you can go 15k/yr in lease and difference is maximum of $11/mo more. And then there are some cars which even if you keep for short term are better to buy owing to high resale and demand.

PS: I am an avid pre-owned vehicle fan (my previous three cars were all pre-owned). But lease has its place too in the market if done right.

Sorry, I hope I didn't offended you in any which way. That is not my intention.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th December 2016 at 04:31. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
chevelle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 06:54   #5606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
but the deal she got is nowhere near what one should pay for a Corolla. A rule of thumb is, certain cars are better to buy than to lease.
A VW Jetta would lease way better than a Corolla, similarly a Corolla would be best if purchased. This is due to multiple factors like resale/MF/Cap reduction and then some more.

And then there are some cars which even if you keep for short term are better to buy owing to high resale and demand.
Ok Genuine question, wouldn't a car with high resale value have lower lease payments as the residual value is high?
Old 28th December 2016, 21:23   #5607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Ok Genuine question, wouldn't a car with high resale value have lower lease payments as the residual value is high?
Yes, but the manufacturer estimated resale prices for the lease payment calculations are much lower than real world prices
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 21:35   #5608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but the manufacturer estimated resale prices for the lease payment calculations are much lower than real world prices
True, but that applies to all cars not just ones with good resale value.
Old 30th December 2016, 00:12   #5609
BHPian

Hi all,

I am back with "What car?" question.

I own a 2013 Passat TDI. Canadian EPA emission settlement was announced on Dec 19th and as a result VW will be doing a buy back of all 2.0 TDIs.

So I will be back in market with my buyback money to pick up a new ride and this is where I kindly ask for your advice.

My criteria for buying another car are as below:
1) Max budget of 30k CAD, excluding HST (taxes) and licensing fees.
2) Must be a manual transmission.
3) No crossovers or SUVs. Only hatchbacks, sedans or wagons.
4) Fun to drive. No coupes.
5) Could be another VW.
6) Plan to keep the car for at least 5 years.

Some cars I have my eyes on are as below:
1) VW GTI. (New will be above 30k)
2) VW GOlf R (will be above 30k)
3) Subaru WRX
4) Mazda Sport GT with Manual.
5) Civic Hatchback Sport.
6) Upcoming Civic Si.
7) CPO Audi A4 or BMW 3 series with manual transmission.
8) VW Golf Sportwagen with 4motion and manual.

I do realise the list is long and some cars are in different segment compared to others. However, in my mind each of these have their own benefits. Please share your views.
Old 30th December 2016, 00:53   #5610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
True, but that applies to all cars not just ones with good resale value.
Yes, higher the residual value, lower the lease payments. Thats why Mercedes/BMWs lease a lot better. But as i mentioned, discounts, MF, cap cost reduction, down payment, taxes and fees also matter. So a high residual value would be useless if we don't get enough discounts on it. I am sure Lexus has a great residual value too. But it won't lease well if MF and discounts are not high enough. That is why its important to negotiate. A dollar we can save off the MSRP is a reduction in the depreciation expense we pay over the term of the lease. Mercedes/BMWs give easily discounts of 15%-20%. Combine that with low MF and your lease payment will be low. Miss any of the above three and you end up paying a lot more.

I agree with Jomz that when manufacturer sets the residual value, they often overestimate the car’s actual lease-end value. There are times when it is underestimated in which case you are better of buying it at the end of lease but that hardly happens. But that doesn't help during lease. It doesn't help us bring down the payments but the good thing as a customer is, we will avoid that depreciation which we would incur if we purchased that vehicle. And that, for a high end car could be in excess of $10k over 3 years. Additionally it is good for those who purchase pre-owned certified cars. They can leverage this low resale value and get one hell of a deal.

Some automakers are spot-on with their estimates. Others inflate their residual values to make their leases cheaper. Regardless, when you lease, someone else takes on the risk and uncertainty of depreciation. And that someone is the bank.

I could be wrong with above information so please correct me if i am. This is just what i have observed getting quotes from multiple manufacturers and also looking into used market.

Most Viewed