Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 26th April 2010, 10:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default "America's Worst Driver" - Reality Show

How I really, really wish this show was coming to India - I could nominate a few thousand people to participate! ...and so could a lot of other members on this forum!
Quote:
The point of America's Worst Driver is to find just that: those people who should have their keys taken away and instead be served with restraining orders to keep at least 50 feet away from any driver's seat.

The format is simple: choose four horrid drivers as submitted by their friends and families from eight major cities (New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco), put them through a series of challenges, declare one of them the worst, then destroy that person's car. In return, they get a bicycle, a bus pass, and a ticket to the grand finale. That season-ending show will pit the eight regional winners against each other to find the nation's most abysmal chauffeur, who will win - irony of ironies - a new car.

Leave A Comment?
dreamtab Apr 03, 2010 7:17 AM
I can tell you right now who it is. It is an Indian person in New Jersey. Sorry, you all are nice people, but when it comes to driving you guys are ******* horrible.

Source: Are You America's Worst Driver?
Take a look at some related videos, and make your day!

SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 11:50   #2
BHPian

Interesting concept.
Though I think with the rot here in India, we can do with something called 'India's Best Driver' where we clandestinely observe whether the guy follows traffic signals and signs, gives proper indications when stopping, turning and overtaking etc. And we don't need any props. Just throw the poor guy to the savages on the road. I think it will be more a test of his patience than driving skills.
Coming to the comment by dreamtab, while a good majority are bad drivers, but the remaining minority could be as good or better than most that you can find around the world. Navigating through Indian traffic can guarantee that you have the best hand-eye co-ordination.
Anthym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Doc, when it comes to India, it will be the other way - Best driver; as it is very easy to spot bad drivers & the reality show will run bankruptcy in few days buying bicycles

On a serious front, I was actually planning to take videos & clicks of bad drivers, but then a question arised? Where do I post? Youtube? TBHP? And do what?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 12:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
...we can do with something called 'India's Best Driver'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
...when it comes to India, it will be the other way - Best driver...

On a serious front, I was actually planning to take videos & clicks of bad drivers, but then a question arised? Where do I post? Youtube? TBHP? And do what?
Since this is about gaining entertainment mileage out of the idiocies/fallacies of bad drivers, the entertainment component would be in the stratosphere when it comes to selecting the worst driver from India.

As to the Best Driver, who wants to see them? They're boring, they're utterly un-entertaining when behind the wheel, and they'd be so hard to come by in India that the show would die a quick death after 2 episodes!

@aargee: As to your proposal of taking videos/pics of bad drivers, please don't do it when you're driving around yourself! Every day, I get so entertained by the crazy ones, I pray at least twenty times daily: "Dear God, let them kill or let them die if You must, but please don't let them kill me or die under my car."
Old 26th April 2010, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
As to the Best Driver, who wants to see them? They're boring, they're utterly un-entertaining when behind the wheel, and they'd be so hard to come by in India that the show would die a quick death after 2 episodes!
Depends on how the driver is rewarded & being advertised; police commissioner awarding the best driver differs from Sharukh or Preity Zinta.

An espisode running for a week, & each episode is like tracking a person for about 1 month & showing it in the reality show for a week including the award celeberation. In between the show can also show someone who fails or like who breaks some rule in between & thus becomes disqualified & a short talk to him saying he was being watched & how he failed in between will spice up the programme.

Quote:
@aargee: As to your proposal of taking videos/pics of bad drivers, please don't do it when you're driving around yourself!
Ofcourse I will not; I'll park the vehicle to take one, otherwise I lose the clarity; if I'm unable to take one, I'll ignore it rather than risking.

Quote:
Every day, I get so entertained by the crazy ones, I pray at least twenty times daily: "Dear God, let them kill or let them die if You must, but please don't let them kill me or die under my car."
Typical wise man saying
Old 26th April 2010, 12:52   #6
BHPian

In fact, there is a contest to find the best driver of India, something like India's best young driver and the first prize is an AStar. Its a pity that such contests are not popular.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 13:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I remember about it now; its available here.
But a reality show is a show in real, nothing beats it. If the same were aired on TV, it would've been popularized by now. What's more interesting about the candid camera behind finding the best driver is that, atleast some of the people would start improving their driving skills thinking they might be on camera & on the way to their reward.

Last edited by aargee : 26th April 2010 at 13:35.
Old 26th April 2010, 22:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
...contest to find the best driver of India...
Yeah, I was ineligible due to age - as if drivers above 30 all drive perfectly! LOL