Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 19th October 2005, 00:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Lets get this a bit straight. A supercar is a car with all the comforts thrown in. Its a sports luxury car. U certainly know a difference when u see a lamobo, ferrari, viper or lotus

against a evo,impreze, 3000gt, camaro dont you?
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 10:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Lets get this a bit straight. A supercar is a car with all the comforts thrown in. Its a sports luxury car. U certainly know a difference when u see a lamobo, ferrari, viper or lotus

Most certainly I do.

When I see a lambo, Ferrari, Viper I can't help thinking " Rich bloke, must be having a lot of money"

When I see a Lotus, Evo, Impreze, 3000GT, I say to myself "Must be a real enthusiast who ain't THAT rich"

But when I see a Camaro/Firebird/GTO, I say,aloud, "YEAH, BABY!"

Pardon me, but I think that ANY car which is capable of kicking supercar butt with a reasonably small amount of modifications IS a supercar.
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 00:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
Most certainly I do.

When I see a lambo, Ferrari, Viper I can't help thinking " Rich bloke, must be having a lot of money"

When I see a Lotus, Evo, Impreze, 3000GT, I say to myself "Must be a real enthusiast who ain't THAT rich"

Pardon me, but I think that ANY car which is capable of kicking supercar butt with a reasonably small amount of modifications IS a supercar.

you just answered your own questions?

Lotus comes in the second tier even though it competes in the first.
And your definition of sportscar is true. cent percent true.
Old 20th October 2005, 00:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
somehow my heart doesnt agree to that ...if your referring to the Lotus Elite i got no problems ...but not the Espirit, its a V8 supercar !
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 01:49   #35
BHPian

Thumbs up Supercars are those that move !!!

hey ! nice to know that people do understand the true meaning of a supercar...its not necessarily have to do anything with the Ferrari, McClaren, or maybe a Pagani Zonda...
Its a car that has been modified or is kept in standard condition....but but but...
It must be driven by someone who appreciates the value of that car and drives it like a true enthusiast...The supercar value comes from the nut behind the wheel...one should know how to put their cars to use
Azzkikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 14:36   #36
BHPian

Default how about a 69 camaro - supercar (Green Giant)

How about a Camaro 69 supertuned twin turbo looks like an old mans car but flies past all ur supercars Lambo horse mustang etc etc etc. doing the ¼ in 6.51 @ 351kmph.

All the cost for 1/3 cost of the so called supercar.

for me if its a supercar it has to see all other cars in the rear view faster. it has to be cometition stuff and no poser.
what say??
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 14:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84

just a point which u have overlooked
lambos and ferraris dont have any luxury inside to even comapre with a mid segment luxury sedan

if u call a small steering and race pedals luxury then what more to say.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2005, 22:06   #38
BHPian

i feel its basically wrong to compare fezzas, lambos, mercedes, bugattis with skylines and the other stuff.
the former are throughbreds. they reek class, tradition, charisma, precision, quality, exclusivity. etc. They demand attention and respect.
the latter dont come anywhere close in these aspects. Some of the tuned units may have better power figures. But whats the use of all the power if you dont have a chassis and electronics to go with it. Fezzas and lambos have been tuned specifically for the very purpose.

I also feel that supercars are definately luxurious. They have custom-built seats interiors etc. This basically does away with all the fancy buttons and switches that you find in a normal sedan. They have an aircon, music system etc. The Veyron pushes the limits of luxury even further. So im not sure about supercars not being luxurious.

In my opinion, the brand that combines the two i.e. price and performance and also quality and tradition is PORSCHE. The boxter in my opinion is the best poor man´s sportscar.

To lower the bar even further, id prefer an m-powered BMW or an RS Audi or an AMG Mercedes over the skylines, camaros and what not....

Last edited by ameya : 22nd October 2005 at 22:08.
ameya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 01:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u
just a point which u have overlooked
lambos and ferraris dont have any luxury inside to even comapre with a mid segment luxury sedan

if u call a small steering and race pedals luxury then what more to say.

read what AMeya has written.
Old 23rd October 2005, 01:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
Most certainly I do.

-
My thoughts .1997 SLP Z28 Camaro V8. Kicked some real A** out of Ferrari's etc etc etc.
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 01:47   #41
BHPian

When I see a 30 thousand $ EVO smoke out some $$$$$$ of a Porsche, Yeah it sure does feel good.
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

What the hell?????

If you want killer performance and dont have that much money, go buy an Evo or Ariel Atom or sumthing.

If you want killer performance and have a passable amount of money, go my a Noble M400 or a Porsche 911.

If you want killer performance and have loads of money, buy a Murcielago or a F430 or a Zonda or a CGT.

Why this argument at all when it is so simple?
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 07:41   #43
BHPian

Well I think the title of this thread was-

"POOR" Man's super cars is BACK
Old 23rd October 2005, 10:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Nurburgring Nordschleife (North Loop) - Longest Race Track in the World

73 corners in 13 miles. 1000 ft. altitude difference between highest & lowest points.

Which road-legal supercar holds the record?

Not Ferrari, not Lamborghini, not Zonda, not Honda.

Its held by a little known car, the Radical SR8.

Timing? 6:55:00, it beat 7:15:63 by 330,000 pound Porsche 996 GT.

SR8 is for sale under 60,000 pounds.

Timing of 7:56:00 is held by Caterham R500 with a 1.8 liter Rover engine; total cost of car is 30,000 pounds.

Nissan Skyline holds 7:59:00.

The other 'super'cars are nowhere in the picture.

Which, then, is the poor man's supercar?
ananthkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2005, 01:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Read what Islero has written.