Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 22nd May 2010, 23:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default What really happens on Dubai's motorways!

You have to watch this video to see for yourself the insanity on the Dubai highways. I can't think of any other country where someone would drive on 2 wheels and some doing donuts in the middle of the traffic.

Aren't there any traffic laws in Dubai? I mean even Mumbai traffic cops wouldn't let this happen.

Last edited by theragingbull : 22nd May 2010 at 23:46.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is surely not a regular occurrence for sure. When I went a visiting I found them to be very strict about traffic, but there are maniacs everywhere.Locals are known to be risk takers as Laws are partial towards them.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 23rd May 2010 at 00:26.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 06:38   #3
BHPian

Stuff like these are not regular occurance. Cops are usually very strict there.
Agree with wanderernomad that the local guys there are the risk takers. Many of them doing these stunts will be from very rich and powerful families who dont care about cops or laws.
None of the Expats living there would even dream of doing this !
_raviShankar_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 06:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
You have to watch this video to see for yourself the insanity on the Dubai highways. I can't think of any other country where someone would drive on 2 wheels and some doing donuts in the middle of the traffic.

Aren't there any traffic laws in Dubai? I mean even Mumbai traffic cops wouldn't let this happen.

Did you get it from speedhunters?
smashnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

That's SZ Road right? Have travelled in this road for 2 months last year. Never seen anything like this

I thought these things happen in the Emirates road.
kiku007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys.

You should know the background on this before commenting.

What you see in that video was on SheikhZayed Road one evening during a parade for teh Al Jazira Club winning a football match.

In fact the polce were there and this was done with their knowledge.

What the police were doing was moving ahea of the convoy and closing the road to other motorists so that the club members could have the road to themselves.

All te cars you seein the video are of clubembers who are involved with this trip.

The road had been closed to other motorists and they were allowed to play around a bit in the spirit of celebration.

There were no innocent motorists there to get hurt and the drivers of the Patrol was actually asked to quit the parade for that stunt.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
Did you get it from speedhunters?
This actually came on Autoblog. Here's the link: Video: Just another day in Dubai traffic — Autoblog
Old 25th May 2010, 10:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys.

You should know the background on this before commenting.

What you see in that video was on SheikhZayed Road one evening during a parade for teh Al Jazira Club winning a football match.

In fact the police were there and this was done with their knowledge.

What the police were doing was moving ahea of the convoy and closing the road to other motorists so that the club members could have the road to themselves.
No offence, but I think you should read this. Followup: Dubai authorities arrest YouTube hoons — Autoblog
The two men both UAE nationals in their 20s driving the vehicles in question down Sheikh Zayed Road have been tracked down and arrested. As has happened in the past, police were able to identify the vehicles after seeing their license plates in full view from the videos uploaded to YouTube.
Old 25th May 2010, 14:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Stuff like these are not regular occurance. Cops are usually very strict there.
Agree with wanderernomad that the local guys there are the risk takers. Many of them doing these stunts will be from very rich and powerful families who dont care about cops or laws.
None of the Expats living there would even dream of doing this !
OH REALLY? this is my friend in his Corvette.. hes from kerala btw!!

Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

that said, i still do agree with what you said. not many expats, let alone us Indians, can sum up the courage for such antics on Dubai roads. the cops there WILL STOP you for the slightest deviation from law.
Cheers!!
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 14:22   #10
BHPian

-Drunk
-High on substance
-rich spoilt brat
-wife kicked him out of the house(either happy or sad)
-expression of happiness for obtaining the license after 20 odd tries

...are some of the causes I can think of for pulling up such an act in the middle of the highway !

Obviously the cops would have not spotted this, else he couldnt have escaped the long arms of a concrete law system estd in the Gulf.
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:02   #11
BHPian

This video was in the related videos section for the one posted by the OP.

AS crazy as the first one.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No offence, but I think you should read this. Followup: Dubai authorities arrest YouTube hoons — Autoblog
The two men both UAE nationals in their 20s driving the vehicles in question down Sheikh Zayed Road have been tracked down and arrested. As has happened in the past, police were able to identify the vehicles after seeing their license plates in full view from the videos uploaded to YouTube.
I meant the parade was done with their knowledge. I also said these guys were pulled up for teh stunts.

Just wanted to clarify that this is not how everyday driving is in Dubai as it was bein gmade out to be
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 12:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Love the guys experession at 1.14 seconds. looks like has to attend an urgent call from nature...

on second thoughts I simply hate these activities, it just a blatant show of power and just complete disregard for others safety.

I mean if you want to kill yourself be my guest, but dont kill yourself at the cost of others. Infact ill be more than happy if people like these are wiped off the streets

cheers,
ac

Quote:

ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 12:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:

refering to the video, how in the world did he get the car on two wheels in the first place??

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
This video was in the related videos section for the one posted by the OP.

AS crazy as the first one.
..and do these people have rollers beneath their 'chapals' or whatever they call it? how does he manage to just keep standing straight with both feet on the ground, even though the car is moving at pretty high speed?

Last edited by Dippy : 26th May 2010 at 17:52. Reason: Post edited. Please avoid quoting a video link when replying to a post
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote