Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 2nd June 2010, 15:44   #16
BHPian

@ V10 - Do agree with your views on the new Cayenne. The presence of an SUV is one of the most important factors for it to be successful in doing numbers around the world. Porsche definitely was thinking on the same lines and they really took a long long time to design the new Cayenne. It was based on surveys done on thousands and lakhs of people around the world before coming out with the one in the pictures above.
It is very unfortunate that you are dissappointed with the way it looks. I still stick to what i said, please come and have a look at it once its launched. Ugly is a word i am sure you will not use.
And still its subjective, you might not like it, but lots of others have, inspite of not looking at the car in flesh. With the number of cars we have already booked, its more than overwhelming.
Allow me to demonstrate its design cues, once its here.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd June 2010 at 14:35. Reason: "ugly". See edit note on v10's earlier post.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 06:23   #17
BHPian

You are a lucky man!!!.Was it only Cayenne or did you get to test other Porsche beauties as well?

Regarding the cayenne looks, I hate the new Cayenne looks , especially the rear!!!. I saw it in person and it looks ugly to me.

The alloys on the silver cayenne in the Desert looks sweet!!.

And did you get to compare the competition off road or was it just on track?. Would love to know how X5M,X6,Cayenne fared vis-a-vis RR/Q7/Toureg

Last edited by artofzen : 3rd June 2010 at 06:27.
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like you had a blast out there bro....

just for comparison sake you should have gone out in the desert with rear offroaders and their cars and you would have instantly know that the Porsche is not very appropriate for the dunes out here.

Good for posing at the Malls and climbing over the curb when you get tired of waiting at the Mc Donalds drive thru but definitely not a desert warrior
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 19:27   #19
BHPian

@artofzen - No buddy, i did not get to drive the other Porsche's. Unfortunately i couldnt make it to the 911 training more than a year ago. Its sad that you do not like the way it looks.

@ Wasif - Unfortunately, we did not get the other cars off road. But the cayenne is certainly not just a Mall poser. I think that the Range Rover is the only car thats a threat off road, but its way too far behind on the road.
Old 5th June 2010, 00:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

The exteriors look very much like the Panamera on stilts. And the interiors? Seems like the Panamera itself.

@doctorque: Would you mind if I visit the Porsche showroom once the Cayenne launches and treat my eyes with all the other beauties too? I mean do you mind just car enthusiasts visiting your showroom with no such intentions of buying in mind? I'm sure you must have seen the famous Porsche advert wherein a young boy visits the Porsche showroom.

Last edited by theragingbull : 5th June 2010 at 01:01.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 22:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
@artofzen - No buddy, i did not get to drive the other Porsche's. Unfortunately i couldnt make it to the 911 training more than a year ago. Its sad that you do not like the way it looks.

@ Wasif - Unfortunately, we did not get the other cars off road. But the cayenne is certainly not just a Mall poser. I think that the Range Rover is the only car thats a threat off road, but its way too far behind on the road.

The last time somebody was foolish enough to bring a Supercharged Range Rover to the desert it blew its airbags, the front screen broke and the drivers seat too.

All because it hit a sand bar coming down a dune at 20 kmph.

The Range Rover and the Porsche are NOT designed for use in the deserts. They are designed primarily with use on the streets in mind with an occasional trip on dirt roads thrown in for kicks.

Anyway those low profiel tires these cars come equiped with don't work well when deflated for sand driving. They will pop out the minute you try a slight sharp turn.

Last edited by wasif : 5th June 2010 at 22:44.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 14:22   #22

Default Well said brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The last time somebody was foolish enough to bring a Supercharged Range Rover to the desert it blew its airbags, the front screen broke and the drivers seat too.

All because it hit a sand bar coming down a dune at 20 kmph.

The Range Rover and the Porsche are NOT designed for use in the deserts. They are designed primarily with use on the streets in mind with an occasional trip on dirt roads thrown in for kicks.

Anyway those low profiel tires these cars come equiped with don't work well when deflated for sand driving. They will pop out the minute you try a slight sharp turn.
In all my desert trips, I have spotted just one three digit numbered Range Rover Vogue which was sand bashing here in Dubai. And I am quite sure the driver wasn't very serious about off-roading. The Cayenne will have to prove its mettle with the prevalent champs like the Toyota siblings, the Land Cruiser, FJ Cruiser and the Prado, the Nissan line-up like the Patrol, Xterra and the ultimate sand basher, the Jeep Wrangler! But otherwise, we have no doubt in mind as to its luxurious interiors, plush ride and aesthetic appeal.

Car-passionately yours,
Shahul
az.shahulhameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 12:05   #23
BHPian

@ Ragingbull - Your most welcome. Not every person who walks in here wants to buy one. There are enthusiasts as well and we welcome all.

@ Wasif - Do agree and disagree a bit. You are right when you say these cars mostly designed keeping in mind the roads and not entirely off road. The New Cayenne is like no other SUV on the road and atleast in India more than 99.99% of the people are only driving on road. Also reducing pressure on low profile tires did help us in the dunes.

@ Shahul - Agree with you brother that the Toyota's and Nissan's are in detructible.
But the Cayenne was never targetted against them anyway.