Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 7th June 2010, 19:04   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
In my point of view it has to be national brands rather than cars

India - maruthi Suzuki/Tata

rest i haven't traveled so; not much of an idea
Maruti Suzuki is not a TRUE National Car of India.

TATA rightfully owns the National Car tag. A truly Made in India and Made for India car to say.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 19:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

If there was no Maruti Suzuki in india in the first place , Probably there would be no Tata auto.

Maruti is still the first and only choice of most first time car buyers in India.
so it rightfully deserves the "National Car maker" tag and the national car should be the 800 as it was the sole car that started the revolution.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 19:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
If there was no Maruti Suzuki in india in the first place , Probably there would be no Tata auto.

Maruti is still the first and only choice of most first time car buyers in India.
so it rightfully deserves the "National Car maker" tag and the national car should be the 800 as it was the sole car that started the revolution.

I agree. I opted for Alto since its taking over 800's place in the Indian market. If there was no Maruti the Indian car scene still would be in the primitive stages.
krsh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 19:53   #19
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsh77 View Post
I agree. I opted for Alto since its taking over 800's place in the Indian market. If there was no Maruti the Indian car scene still would be in the primitive stages.
Ha ha ha, TATA's were making trucks decades before Suzuki made its way into India.

TATA's are the pure National Brand, very much unlike the Maruti Suzuki.

Very foolish to say there would be No TATA without Maruti. If there were no Suzuki, even Maruti would not have seen Indian Shores. Maruti Suzuki is purely a Foreign brand making its mark felt in India.

Even before Maruti's were formed, Amby's and Premier's ruled our Indian roads.

25 years on Indian soil does not make maruti the National Car.

I think we better take some time in forming the Indian National Car. Why dont we have a Poll between the Maruti Suzuki vs TATA

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 7th June 2010 at 19:54.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:28   #20
BHPian

^^ I, till now am unable to figure out this "Nationalism" regarding Maruti Suzuki. A company in which 54.2% stake is owned by a Japanese firm is almost always termed as being Indian. For me, it's always been Japanese and not Indian. (Or has Japan become the 29th state of India?) I even like to refer to their cars are Suzuki Swift or Suzuki SX4, as that is the reality. TATA on the other hand, is much more Indian.
A350XWB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 20:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Buttt, these two are not designed in India. The Amby is British and Premier's products are from a company called Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 20:46   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
^^ I, till now am unable to figure out this "Nationalism" regarding Maruti Suzuki. A company in which 54.2% stake is owned by a Japanese firm is almost always termed as being Indian. For me, it's always been Japanese and not Indian. (Or has Japan become the 29th state of India?) I even like to refer to their cars are Suzuki Swift or Suzuki SX4, as that is the reality. TATA on the other hand, is much more Indian.
Yours Truly with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Buttt, these two are not designed in India. The Amby is British and Premier's products are from a company called Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino
So was the SS-80, or the SB-308's or the so called Alto's/ Omni's/Swift's etc., etc.... They were all designed by the Japanese and later launched in India. None of the Maruti cars or even their names are derived by the Indian counterparts. All lifted.

How can we give a foreign brand the National car tag.
Old 7th June 2010, 21:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:

How can we give a foreign brand the National car tag.

In that case how many countries have a car company of their own? We call the 1.3 MJD as the national engine only because its popular in India and its being used across different brands.

In that sense Maruti is the forerunner for the National Brand and 800/Alto for the National Car
Old 7th June 2010, 22:03   #24
BANNED

Quote:
In that case how many countries have a car company of their own? We call the 1.3 MJD as the national engine only because its popular in India and its being used across different brands.

In that sense Maruti is the forerunner for the National Brand and 800/Alto for the National Car
None claims the QJD / MJD engines as National engines. We are going

Germany has the VW and the Opel.

The Russians have the Skoda

The Italy has the Fiat

UK has the Morris Cowley and few more

US of A has the GM and Ford

Japan has the Suzuki and Toyota

There are some more,

Maruti Suzuki's can never contest to get the National Car of India Tag, Never.
Old 7th June 2010, 22:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha ha, TATA's were making trucks decades before Suzuki made its way into India.

TATA's are the pure National Brand, very much unlike the Maruti Suzuki.

Very foolish to say there would be No TATA without Maruti. If there were no Suzuki, even Maruti would not have seen Indian Shores. Maruti Suzuki is purely a Foreign brand making its mark felt in India.

25 years on Indian soil does not make maruti the National Car.

I think we better take some time in forming the Indian National Car. Why dont we have a Poll between the Maruti Suzuki vs TATA
i believe the thread title reads "national car" and not "national vehicle" . agreed tata used to make trucks way ago. but if there was no maruthi then chances are tata still would be only making trucks and we still would be running around around in amby's (Highly unlikely because if maruthi dint make step into india, some one else would have ,say fiat . then we would give the same importance to fiat uno as we did to 800).
But all said and done Maruti suzuki , no matter how much it still has a majority of share being owned by foreign companies , is still the national car brand.

The sales figures for maruti cars also support my argument. It basically is a segment leader in almost all the segments it has cars in (apart from the Grand vitara )
Only difference is that, the national car 800 is replaced with the Alto now.
Mahindra is also a very good contender for this title
P.S i tend to spell Maruti as Maruthi

Last edited by vinaydas : 7th June 2010 at 22:26.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 22:24   #26
BHPian

Off topic, please search for "National Engine" in Team-Bhp search and you can come across many references to 1.3 MJD.

The middle east is one of the largest car markets in the world and Toyota is the leading seller there. 3 out of 5 cars we get to see will be a Toyota. So we can say Toyota is the national brand even though none of the middle east country has a brand on its own.

In the first thread its mentioned that this discussion is based on the volume of cars .

"Please note this is based only on the number of cars we see on an average per day or any given time."
Old 7th June 2010, 22:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Whats the national car of Pakistan ?

Suzuki Mehrbaan (M 800) ?
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 23:26   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Germany has the VW and the Opel.
Isn't Opel General Motors --- and how could you forget that Germany has Mercedes Benz

Quote:
The Russians have the Skoda
The Russians had Lada; I have no idea what they have now. If you are talking manufacturing, then Skoda is not Russian.

Quote:
UK has the Morris Cowley and few more
few more? Many more. If you are going to mention Morris... Shouldn't the MGB find pride of place in a motoring forum such as this?

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki's can never contest to get the National Car of India Tag, Never.
If I was them, I would have replaced that "S" on the front with an "M"!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 23:43   #29
BHPian

Wonder what the national car of Afghanistan/Iraq would be? Perhaps a Toyota technical loaded with C4
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 00:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Funny how a malady is now a virtue. HM and PAL worked under severe restrictions on every aspect of business including installed capacity. They were not allowed to upgrade their technical skills via collaboration agreements. Everything was licensed and firmly controlled by the Government. These policies of the Government put the auto (and other) industry in the primitive stage.

The then Prime Minister's son had a dream of building a car (boys will be boys) and some miserable prototypes were developed. Several manufacturers world-wide were contacted to make the boys dream come true. Government of India and Suzuki motor corp. decided to tie the knot and the Maruti co. was born. Just as there were miracles at the time of the birth of Gods, great Sages, Kings etc. so too there were miracles at the time Maruti Motor Co. was born. The grey skies of the licensing heavens parted, the earth shook and sprang forth bountiful capacity expansion schemes etc. Suddenly 'fuel efficiency' was the magic mantra on every babu's lips and cars under 1000 cc were showered with a bounty while others were burdened with disincentives akin to those on tobacco, liqour etc. as cars were deemed to be "luxuries". This segment of the auto market was most zealously guarded for as long as the Government could hang on, to protect its baby.

The revolution, if at all one can call it that, is the removal of Government controls and shackles on the Auto sector. This allowed the auto manufacturers who were bled dry over years of Government supervision, control etc. to come of age. I guess it was the Government policies of the day which kept Indians away from decent cars for several years.

LOL how I wish my Mom was the PM!!

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote