Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 28th October 2005, 12:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default "1.27 million recalls"-Bought to you by Toyota.

Toyota have recalled 1.27 million(but reports say it can touch 1.4 million including 1.4 Lakh in Australia) vehicles due to defective wiring and switches that can cause the head lights to switch off midway.the models affected are from May 2000 to August 2002 and include the yaris,corolla,rav4,camry etc.

the unique records achived by this feat are that it was the highest recall from a japanese manufacturer ever and the second highest reacall in the history of automobiles,only trailing behind Ford's feat of 3.8 million.so much for "Touch the Perfection".

And to add to that 75K Toyota Pirus models also have been recalled in the US since their engines can stall due to an electical problem.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/...fx2283230.html

http://www.forbes.com/associatedpres...ap2276777.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/61...ts_toyota.html

Last edited by merve_extreme : 28th October 2005 at 12:23.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 12:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
And to add to that 75K Toyota Pirus models also have been recalled in the US since their engines can stall due to an electical problem.
This is interesting. Toyota wants to be synonymous with hybrid cars. But, they might have landed in a territory so far unknown to them. Over last decade, Mercedese and other German manufacturers were haunted by electronic gremlins as they tried to pack too much of technology in their cars to remain the trend-setters. Toyota, aspiring to be the trend-setter in hybrid arena, may have hit a similar rock here. But knowing production/process management expertise of Japanese, this may turn out to be small aberration.

Last edited by RX135 : 28th October 2005 at 12:38.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 09:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you notice how feeble this news report turned out to be? Now just imagine the impact this would have had it it was GM, Ford or even Mercedes instead of Toyota. I don't know what it is, but the Jap's manage to put down adverse quality reports really well. The other companies need to learn this talent from them.
By the way, another piece of news that got crushed was the J.D.Power North America results where GM engines turned out to be more reliable then Toyota's.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 10:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

this is really a big problem.
i simply dont understand why people rate the toyota and honda cars so highly.do they really deserve it ?

imagine is i had posted this about Mercs or any germans.all hell would have broken lose.i purposely posted this report,to see the reaction.

this report was there on most auto websites and many t-bhpians would have seen this,but nobody bothered to post it.if u ask me 1.4 million recalls by any company is a very big news.
Old 30th October 2005, 18:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
imagine is i had posted this about Mercs or any germans.all hell would have broken lose.i purposely posted this report,to see the reaction.

Quote:
this report was there on most auto websites and many t-bhpians would have seen this,but nobody bothered to post it.if u ask me 1.4 million recalls by any company is a very big news.
I read this report on a auto website too but didn't post it because I wanted to see if anyone would post it here because this recall is BIG news. Like you said, if it was merecedes or any other company, all hell would have broken loose.
The same thing happened in India. Honda withdrew warranty on all cars flooded in the 26/7 downpour. It made news, many of us critised honda but after that what? We are all back to treating Honda like it is God and are so thankful to them for letting us buying the crap NHC at exhorbidant rates. Imagine if GM, Ford or God forbid, Fiat or Mercedes India did something like withdrawing warranty.
Old 31st October 2005, 01:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Like you said, if it was merecedes or any other company, all hell would have broken loose.
May be that is because Mercs were considered sacrosanct. Again, you can not talk about recall of $20,000 vehicle in the same vein as a $50,000+ vehicle.
Old 31st October 2005, 03:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

RX,its not about the price of the vehicle,but about the image of the company as maker of reliable cars.

when merc made the recall everyone was shocked because mercs had the highest reliability upto the mid 90's.when ford recalled their hign price GT,no one was shocked because ford has a habbit of making recalls.

Toyota are considered very reliable,so to recall such large no of vehicles is definately a very big news.and it is not a funny thing.it may seem minor but is a major problem,imagine driving in the night at 100mph on the unlit highway and ur lights decide to doze off.seems preety scarry to me.and i think even Lexus must have been affected by this issue since Lexus has 70% parts from other toyotas(toyota is not mad to make different internal wiring and sockets for similar models under different brand names),but that is never going to come in the open.
Old 8th November 2005, 13:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Agreed. But, recall is not uncommon for Toyota as well. Remember the massive Prius recall at the start of 2005.
Old 8th November 2005, 14:19   #9
Team-BHP Support

A recall is part and parcel of the auto industry. All suppliers produce a "bad patch" once in a while, and these recalls deal with them. To me, it doesn't caste a doubt over the company but exactly the opposite - that they have realised a problem and are acting to rectify it.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2005, 19:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again, you can not talk about recall of $20,000 vehicle in the same vein as a $50,000+ vehicle.
why not? $20,000 for me is as valuable as $50,000 is for a rich person. Someone buying a $20K car works as hard to earn that money as someone spending $50K.

Quote:
All suppliers produce a "bad patch" once in a while, and these recalls deal with them. To me, it doesn't caste a doubt over the company but exactly the opposite - that they have realised a problem and are acting to rectify it.
I totally agree with that statement but why is it that we are not as mature and forgiving as we are with Toyota or any other Japanese makers when GM, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Peugeot, Citoren, TATA etc etc have the same recalls?
Old 8th November 2005, 20:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why not? $20,000 for me is as valuable as $50,000 is for a rich person. Someone buying a $20K car works as hard to earn that money as someone spending $50K.
That is because $50K product charges lot of premium for being better and more perfect. No question about hard earned money, it is about "what-you-get-is-what-you-pay-for", and in case of $50K car, you tend to expect much more than $20K car.
Old 9th November 2005, 00:00   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I totally agree with that statement but why is it that we are not as mature and forgiving as we are with Toyota or any other Japanese makers when GM, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Peugeot, Citoren, TATA etc etc have the same recalls?
who says we are not? I don't recall reading about people criticizing these companies for any recalls they had. I think you are confusing a recall with shoddy quality throughout a model range e.g. Mercedes never issued a recall for they crappy electronics which were prone to fail, hence the anger against them.

P.S. did Tata ever have a recall? If I remember correctly with the first Indica, they simply introduced the V2 with the improvements made to what was essentially a faulty design. They SHOULD have had a recall, but to be fair to them, I don't think they could have survived that. They did carry out the repairs at cost though from what I heard.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2005, 00:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
who says we are not? I don't recall reading about people criticizing these companies for any recalls they had. I think you are confusing a recall with shoddy quality throughout a model range e.g. Mercedes never issued a recall for they crappy electronics which were prone to fail, hence the anger against them.
When mercedes issued a recall for EBC on mecedes E-class worldwide.what was the reaction here.everyone was criticizing them for poor electonics and crappy reliability.It is not that mercs were found rusting or their trim was falling apart or suddenly the panel gaps had become huge.they only had issues with complex electronics.

The EBC is such a complex system,so it is more pronounced to failure,even then merc was accused.

a light switch is such a basic device which should not fail at all.it is not a new concept.it has been here for 10's of decades.

and toyota has issued recall for many vehicles not only cheap vehicles.one cannot say that a landcruiser amazon is cheap.if toyota are affected be gauranteed that the problem will affect some lexus vehicles too.

secondly no-one is critisizing toyota,it is good that they realised their mistake,only point is Toyota and Honda quality and reliability are taken as given which is far from the whole truth.