Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 31st March 2016, 07:12   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Call me lazy,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
I was wondering, if there is a similar car and bike inclusive everything forum for Australia
Not to sure about the same kind of forum for Australia, although I think there must be one.

From this forum,
I think @benbsb29 has been living in Australia for quite some time.
Follow his profile here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/benbsb29.html

Try to PM him, or contact him by mail. He'll be able to help you!
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 09:29   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land! Worth it?

Going slightly off-topic here.

I bought my family along and we are in need of a car. I am thinking of getting a new car considering the current offers.

Any one with any experience in buying cars in Australia please send some tips. I am keeping a budget or around 20K, looking for a hatch, lookng for reliability and lower running costs, automatic only. Any suggestions welcome.

By the way, I passed my Driving Knowledge Test last weekend, now need to schedule a driving test and pass it to get a full unrestricted license in NSW.
basilmabraham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 09:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Going slightly off-topic here.

I bought my family along and we are in need of a car. I am thinking of getting a new car considering the current offers.

Any one with any experience in buying cars in Australia please send some tips. I am keeping a budget or around 20K, looking for a hatch, lookng for reliability and lower running costs, automatic only. Any suggestions welcome.

By the way, I passed my Driving Knowledge Test last weekend, now need to schedule a driving test and pass it to get a full unrestricted license in NSW.
I bought a Mazda 3 SP25 GT recently in Melbourne. Are you looking at Manual or Automatic? If you are willing to extend your budget, I would recommend a Mazda 3 Maxx. It comes with all the essentials and is a pretty good drive as well.

Else for your budget you could get a Honda City, the same one we get in India or if you are looking for something cheaper, a Jazz or a Polo would be a good choice and will cost you close to 17-18k's.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 09:39   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I bought a Mazda 3 SP25 GT recently in Melbourne. Are you looking at Manual or Automatic? If you are willing to extend your budget, I would recommend a Mazda 3 Maxx. It comes with all the essentials and is a pretty good drive as well.

Else for your budget you could get a Honda City, the same one we get in India or if you are looking for something cheaper, a Jazz or a Polo would be a good choice and will cost you close to 17-18k's.
Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Did you buy the Mazda new?

I want an automatic only. Will look up Mazda 3 Maxx. I was interested in the Jazz as well, need to intensify my reasearch. Can the VW DSG boxes be trusted?
Old 19th April 2016, 09:41   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Did you buy the Mazda new?

I want an automatic only. Will look up Mazda 3 Maxx. I was interested in the Jazz as well, need to intensify my reasearch. Can the VW DSG boxes be trusted?
Yes I bought it brand new. VW DSG have had reliability issues in Australia as well. That said Mazda SkyActiv 6 speed automatic is one of the best AT transmission around. Part of the reason why I recommend a Mazda.
Old 19th April 2016, 09:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I bought it brand new. VW DSG have had reliability issues in Australia as well. That said Mazda SkyActiv 6 speed automatic is one of the best AT transmission around. Part of the reason why I recommend a Mazda.
Thanks mate, I will look at the Mazda 2 and 3 and see which one fits my purpose. Both I think comes with the same auto box. I think I read somewhere that the Mazdas are the most fuel efficient as well.
Old 19th April 2016, 10:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate, I will look at the Mazda 2 and 3 and see which one fits my purpose. Both I think comes with the same auto box. I think I read somewhere that the Mazdas are the most fuel efficient as well.
Yup Mazda's are pretty efficient. My 3 with a 2.5 liter petrol + automatic average around 12 kmpl in the city and 15-16 on the highways.

I would recommend the 3 because it has a larger 2.0 litre engine when compared to the 2 which comes with a 1.5 which I feel is a tad small for Australian roads.
Old 19th April 2016, 10:12   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Yup Mazda's are pretty efficient. My 3 with a 2.5 liter petrol + automatic average around 12 kmpl in the city and 15-16 on the highways.

I would recommend the 3 because it has a larger 2.0 litre engine when compared to the 2 which comes with a 1.5 which I feel is a tad small for Australian roads.
Hmm, thanks for that. I will reserach more on the Mazda3 variants. How is the running costs, after sales service, parts cost, reslae value (least important) etc. I just want to be sure that I do not end up with a very expensive to maintain car.
Old 19th April 2016, 10:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, thanks for that. I will reserach more on the Mazda3 variants. How is the running costs, after sales service, parts cost, reslae value (least important) etc. I just want to be sure that I do not end up with a very expensive to maintain car.
The service is every 10k kms or once every year and are capped at around the $300 mark. That said you can also get it serviced at third party service provider which can do log book servicing which won't void your warranty. Mazda 3 in anycase has pretty good reliability record and is the largest selling car in its class this year including the Corolla which is a fleet favorite and get most of its sales from there. Sales number also mean that it also has one of the highest resale value in its class
Old 19th April 2016, 10:19   #70
BHPian

Quote:
The service is every 10k kms or once every year and are capped at around the $300 mark. That said you can also get it serviced at third party service provider which can do log book servicing which won't void your warranty. Mazda 3 in anycase has pretty good reliability record and is the largest selling car in its class this year including the Corolla which is a fleet favorite and get most of its sales from there. Sales number also mean that it also has one of the highest resale value in its class
Thanks for the quick and spot-on answer. Cheers.
Old 19th April 2016, 11:53   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I was just looking at options with Mazda. I saw that the CX-3 is also packing similar equipment as the 3 and is similarly priced. Whats your take on the baby SUV?
Old 19th April 2016, 12:12   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was just looking at options with Mazda. I saw that the CX-3 is also packing similar equipment as the 3 and is similarly priced. Whats your take on the baby SUV?
I think it is the best looking small SUV in its class but the boot space and the rear seat space, both are cramped. Secondly it has the same interiors as the Mazda 2 but 2.0 liter petrol engine from the Mazda 3. It is also over your budget.
Old 20th April 2016, 05:18   #73
BHPian

basilmabraham, go for a Corolla Ascent Sport.

Buying cars in Australia, it makes sense to buy a demo/used car considering the depreciation. Demo is the best bet.

Look at carsales and you will find plenty.

Resale of Toyota is higher unless you have a Mazda 3 in Mp25

Last edited by deepakchiniwal : 20th April 2016 at 05:20.
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 05:45   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
basilmabraham, go for a Corolla Ascent Sport.

Buying cars in Australia, it makes sense to buy a demo/used car considering the depreciation. Demo is the best bet.

Look at carsales and you will find plenty.

Resale of Toyota is higher unless you have a Mazda 3 in Mp25
I was looking at demo cars as well but then the difference between the prices of a brand new car and a demo car wasn't much. As such the demo cars are advertised as price reduced from the recommended price of the car while you can get handsome discounts on a brand new car if you haggle well with the dealer.

Another issue with Demo car is that it will not give you the feeling of a brand new car. I looked at demo cars from a number of manufacturers and almost all of them had some sort of wear visible from scratches to worn out plastics or something. Also when you buy a demo car, you will be the second owner, not first and that will count for something when you want to sell it.

If the savings between a demo and discounted brand new arent huge I will always buy brand new.
Old 20th April 2016, 06:57   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I was looking at demo cars as well but then the difference between the prices of a brand new car and a demo car wasn't much. As such the demo cars are advertised as price reduced from the recommended price of the car while you can get handsome discounts on a brand new car if you haggle well with the dealer.

Another issue with Demo car is that it will not give you the feeling of a brand new car. I looked at demo cars from a number of manufacturers and almost all of them had some sort of wear visible from scratches to worn out plastics or something. Also when you buy a demo car, you will be the second owner, not first and that will count for something when you want to sell it.

If the savings between a demo and discounted brand new arent huge I will always buy brand new.
If you are the second owner, you are not looking at Demo.

Year end dealers register the cars to show the numbers as car sold and get the bonus from manufacturers. Other times the car is usually a trade registered which does not count as owners or your warranty starts day it is registered in your name. You got to be selective on which Demo you pick including the inspection of cars for scratches. If the plastic is worn during the demo, I would personally stay away from that brand/model. I dont want my new car to be in that state in about 5-6 months.

New car feeling and smell is just about few days or a month. If you have kids and a busy life forget the new car feeling.

With a demo you stand a chance to bargain and demand, with new car you don't. Minimum price difference is at least $1000 and rest on your ability to bargain.

Decision is New Car feeling (a feeling) v/s considerable money saved.

In Oz, a first owner/second owner hardly matters during a resale for a genuine buyer IMHO.
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote