Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 9th May 2016, 09:42   #91
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Buying a Car in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Guys,

The eofy deals are raining. I am getting a decently loaded Holden Trax Active for 23990 drive away. Holden also offers a three year free service.

Mitsubishi ASX is at 25000 drive away.

Both automatic with decent kit. I think these cars will ensure that I can use them for long time without worrying too much about maintenance.

Any thoughts/preferences? Any other choices in this price range?
I'm totally confused, any guidance would help. I think too many choices is worse than too few.
You need to first decide if this size of car is what you would be comfortable with, 2-3 years down the line after buying it. In most probability, these will end up feeling a tad small, especially when this is your one and only car.

If you are looking at a small SUV, go for the CX-5, even if used. Maintenance shouldn't be expensive, and it will serve you well.

Trax, ASX etc are good as a second car for families that usually have a large SUV sitting in their garage for the beach and camping runs.

Is there any reason you aren't considering a used Mitsubishi Lancer or a Mazda 3?
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 09:57   #92
BHPian

Hi guys, I had to miss the many EOFY deals. My Indian license couldn't be used any more and Aussie license is still not done. Hence could not test drive any cars before buying. I am hoping to pass my test planned for next week. Hoping to buy the car in the next few weeks.

I saw many good deals on used Nissan Altima 2013/14 models with less than 50K on the odo for 15-17K. I read the reviews about the car and see that they are plane jane cars, suited for families, not for spirited driving etc. I am ok with that. What are your thoughts on a used Nissan?
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 18:31   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, I had to miss the many EOFY deals. My Indian license couldn't be used any more and Aussie license is still not done. Hence could not test drive any cars before buying. I am hoping to pass my test planned for next week. Hoping to buy the car in the next few weeks.

I saw many good deals on used Nissan Altima 2013/14 models with less than 50K on the odo for 15-17K. I read the reviews about the car and see that they are plane jane cars, suited for families, not for spirited driving etc. I am ok with that. What are your thoughts on a used Nissan?
Good to see that you are going in for a 2-3 year old midsize family car rather than a tiny new car. As you would have noticed, Nissan Altima is a very rare car on the roads here. Somehow it never clicked, most probably due to Nissan's weird styling - caught in a no man's land between the boring Camry and the stylish Mazda6.

It suffers horrendous depreciation, which you will benefit from! Haven't heard of any issues with the car - generally Nissans are pretty reliable.

Presume you are getting the 2.5 L 4 cylinder - there is also the ones with the 3.5 L V6 engines - a gem of an engine. A friend of mine had the previous model (Maxima), he just loved it & kept it for a very long time until it was written off by his P-plater son!

If you don't find the styling offensive , the Nissan Altima is a great secondhand buy.

Just check the ownership history to ensure that it is not an ex-rental. Plus the usual things like a fully stamped service book etc. Since its your very first car here, I would suggest paying a bit more for peace of mind and buying from a big dealer and avoiding private sales!

Last edited by LTAutoMad : 6th July 2016 at 18:42. Reason: typo fix
LTAutoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 07:08   #94

Quote:

The wife was driving a Nissan Altima for 6 months in the middle east and was very sad when we sold it. The vehicle is spacious and she liked it better than the accord due to the ground clearance. Powerful engine. The CVT on the nissan is not without problems and i suggest you do your research before picking up one.
ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 07:14   #95
BHPian

thanks LTAutoMad and ynot for your suggestions. I will keep my search on and will post back with some options I am looking at in the next few days.
Old 10th July 2016, 08:17   #96
BHPian

A friend of mine bought a 2006 Mercedes C320 for 11.5K with 3 years warranty. That looks like a tempting deal, but am not too sure if it is a great buy. Thoughts?

Anyone have reviews on ozcar.com.au I am visiting them next weekend, they seem to have a decent collection of cars.
Old 10th July 2016, 14:24   #97
Senior - BHPian

Moved to Melbourne as a TR earlier this year, and made the most impulsive purchase of my life. I usually take longer to choose T-shirts
Work place location forced me to purchase a car within a day, and within that day, I went through a hell lot of permutations and combinations, that started off with a Accord/Corolla, went on to a few Mitsubishi's, and then heart took over I called up an owner of W124 E320. But I finally ended up with this(Have clocked close to 5K kms since I got it, but no qualms apart from Tin like build):
Attached Images

akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 05:08   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Work place location forced me to purchase a car within a day, and within that day, I went through a hell lot of permutations and combinations, that started off with a Accord/Corolla, went on to a few Mitsubishi's, and then heart took over I called up an owner of W124 E320. But I finally ended up with this(Have clocked close to 5K kms since I got it, but no qualms apart from Tin like build):
Congrats! For some reason, Civic sells a lot less than the Corolla in Australia, i believe its the Toyota brand which helps with that.

Between, you bought a Civic with manual transmission, the previous owner may have spent some time in finding a buyer considering how less the demand for manuals are in this country.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 05:16   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Congrats! For some reason, Civic sells a lot less than the Corolla in Australia, i believe its the Toyota brand which helps with that.

Between, you bought a Civic with manual transmission, the previous owner may have spent some time in finding a buyer considering how less the demand for manuals are in this country.
This will surely change with the recently launched all new Civic. The one prior was the worst, most generic looking Civic ever and expensive too. No wonder it did not sell much. I test drove the new Civic as well and even though a nice overall car is still catching up with more than two years old Mazda 3. Honda needs to venture beyond just making nice engines.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 05:43   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

For some reason, majority of the 8th Gen civics I came across, were manuals.
I absolutely hate the Corolla's they look too plain jane to me.
Most of the Automatics I tried had one issue or the other with the GB,so I chose the manual.
Old 11th July 2016, 05:45   #101
BHPian

Quote:
For some reason, majority of the 8th Gen civics I came across, were manuals.
I absolutely hate the Corolla's they look too plain jane to me.
Most of the Automatics I tried had one issue or the other with the GB,so I chose the manual.
Congrats on the car. How much did you pay? Did you buy from a dealer?
Old 11th July 2016, 05:57   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the car. How much did you pay? Did you buy from a dealer?
Yup bought it from a dealer, as the first owner had traded it in for a SUV a day before.
Its a Jan 2007 single owner with full service records.
I paid close to 7K for it, that included, a years registration, RWC, and a years warranty.
Old 11th July 2016, 06:45   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Yup bought it from a dealer, as the first owner had traded it in for a SUV a day before.
I paid close to 7K for it, that included, a years registration, RWC, and a years warranty.
That sounds like a good buy. Enjoy the car.
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 11:19   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats akshay4587 , enjoy the car and drive safe
Zenster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 06:03   #105
BHPian

Update time. My dreams of owning a car is Australia have been delayed by a week now. I failed my driving test on Wednesday. All went well except for a tricky, kind of hidden 'Give Way' sign, which I missed and was faster than expected when crossing it. Caused immediate fail. Got my next test up for next Thursday, hope to get the license then.

On the car front, I have come to a conlusion of the weeks of research. Here goes my thoughts. Buying used, decided.
Two options.
1. Buy a 2007-2009 car with 80k-110k on odo for around $8-$9k.
Pros: Cheaper to buy, no need for any finance arrangements
Cons: Older car, more worn out, more reliability issues

The only car that fit my bill in this category was Honda Jazz. The Jazz gives me maximum bang for the buck. All others, the Mazdas, Toyotas, Mitsubishis were run way too many kms or were 4 speed autos or fuel guzzlers.

2. Buy a 2014 or newer car with 20k-50k on odo for around 13k-16k
Pros: Newer cars, still under manufacturer warranty at least for another year
Cons: Finance arrangements to be made, more paper work to sort out, if getting secured car loans, even more paper work post loan closure

Pretty much fixed on option 2 now.

Cars I finalised here were Hyundai Elantra Active/Elite 2014 auto models, Mitsubishi Lancer ES CJ/Sport 2014 auto or Corolla Hatch 2014 7sp autos. Hyundai and Mitsubishi would have a good 3 years manufacturer warranty left. Elantra offers few more features like auto lock on moving, full size spare wheel etc. Looking at all this, I am singling out the Elantra. I have owned the brilliant Elantra CRDi in India and would love to get another shot. Heart and Brain thinking alike here.

I know the cars do not belong to the same class but all of them seem to satisfy my needs for the next few years. I would love to hear thoughts from more experienced members on my analysis. Any thoughts, any options I missed?