Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 15th July 2016, 06:42   #106
BHPian

Default Buying a Car in Australia

Check out Ganagon's small car reviews. He is just awesome and brutally honest when it comes to reviews in Australia.
Auto expert is what his channel is called on you tube.
I was watching a few videos of his last week. He seems to suggest the Elantra and the Mazda.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 15th July 2016 at 06:58.
Arjun Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 06:52   #107
BHPian

Default Re: Buying a Car in Australia

Thanks Arjun for the video link. I am a member at his site, his views are outright honest. Some of the posts are great eye openers.

I cant find any good Mazdas in the price range, so most probably I would end up with an Elantra.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 06:52   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
2. Buy a 2014 or newer car with 20k-50k on odo for around 13k-16k
Pros: Newer cars, still under manufacturer warranty at least for another year
Cons: Finance arrangements to be made, more paper work to sort out, if getting secured car loans, even more paper work post loan closure

Pretty much fixed on option 2 now.

Cars I finalised here were Hyundai Elantra Active/Elite 2014 auto models, Mitsubishi Lancer ES CJ/Sport 2014 auto or Corolla Hatch 2014 7sp autos. Hyundai and Mitsubishi would have a good 3 years manufacturer warranty left. Elantra offers few more features like auto lock on moving, full size spare wheel etc. Looking at all this, I am singling out the Elantra. I have owned the brilliant Elantra CRDi in India and would love to get another shot. Heart and Brain thinking alike here.
For your requirements, and being a primary car, the Jazz is a misfit. Trust me, you will have buyer's remorse once you hit the highways surrounded by the SUVs, trailers and faster but more heavier and hence stable cars.

Elantra is a good choice, and you should be able to easily find one in your budget. When buying used, do look for one which is well maintained and also the higher variant as far as possible. Also, when compared to a Toyota you get a car equipped with more features as well. 'carsales.com.au' is a good source of finding cars and you can also check local dealer yards, but dont let your emotions get in the way. Think it through and i would recommend getting a finance pre-approval from a bank for the approximate budget before you go to the dealer. This way you wont end up at the mercy of the dealer for finance, which in some cases will be more than if you shop around.

You have a week till your next test, so use this opportunity to hunt down good deals, as well as finance options. All the best for your driving test.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 07:10   #109
BHPian

Thanks Ben for the prompt response and sound suggestions and wishes. I do understand that the Jazz is a misfit, its thrown out of the list already.

Do you reckon looking at cars a few more years older? I can see many Lancers from 2012/13 with around 60k on the odo for less than 10K. No company warranty, but aren't the Lancers pretty reliable?

When going with finance, I am tempted to go with a secured car loan, IMB bank is giving a comparison rate of less than 7%. They also do not have any part prepayment charges. My only concern is about removing the 'hypothication' from the car once the
loan is closed.

Another option I was thinking was to buy on my credit card and do a balance transfer at 0% for 15 months or so.

Any thougths, or better options from those who have done this already.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 15th July 2016 at 07:17. Reason: added comments
Old 15th July 2016, 11:41   #110

All the best for your driving test next thursday. One trick I used when appearing for my driving test was, apart from the sign boards, to keep an eye on the markings on the road. Speed is a bit tricky if you miss the sign boards.
ynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 12:14   #111
BHPian

Thanks for that ynot. I feel there is a lot to unlearn for me than to learn, thanks to many years of chaotic driving in India. One final thing to do now is to train your left eye to look out for marking for variable speed limits, 'give way' and 'stop' signs.
Old 15th July 2016, 13:05   #112
BHPian

Wow this thread reminds me of my college days when I bought a student/work car. I already had a license in Victoria, went to a dealer to buy an old Ford Falcon. But at the last minute mind took over and bought the Nissan Pintara 1989 automatic. The process look around an hour and drove the car straight to work. It cost me AUD 4000 in 2007.

Used the car for 2 years and sold it off to another student for AUD 2500. The car was reliable and maintenance free except for routine service.

But I was a student and I think Elantra will be a good buy for you.

Somehow cars abroad seem to last longer than the ones back here.

Sorry for going OT but here are some beautiful memories.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a Car in Australia-nissan-1.jpg  

Buying a Car in Australia-nissan2.jpg  

Buying a Car in Australia-nissan3.jpg  

tazmaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 05:28   #113
BHPian

Hey guys, I'm back again. Lots changed since my last post.

Got my license test cleared yesterday, so now I can indeed go and test drive cars. Have plans to dedicate the entire weekend for this.

The one and only car in contention is a Kia Cerato S MY17 auto for 19,900 drive away. It has 7 years unlimited warranty, 7 years capped servicing and 7 years road side assistance. Very similar to Hyundai Elantra, but a lot cheaper. Some extra features too, like front parking sensors. I am awaiting my loan to be pre-approved to make the move.

While waiting for the loan, I came across this car on carsales.com.au
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...AG-AD-13034035
I will be test driving this Lancer also tomorrow. I should be able to pull this off at a very decent price. I know the shortcomings, but I can buy this without a loan, this is a big advantage.
In a years time, I should be in a position to buy a better car.

Any thoughts?
Old 22nd July 2016, 07:05   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm back again. Lots changed since my last post.

Got my license test cleared yesterday, so now I can indeed go and test drive cars. Have plans to dedicate the entire weekend for this.

The one and only car in contention is a Kia Cerato S MY17 auto for 19,900 drive away. It has 7 years unlimited warranty, 7 years capped servicing and 7 years road side assistance. Very similar to Hyundai Elantra, but a lot cheaper. Some extra features too, like front parking sensors. I am awaiting my loan to be pre-approved to make the move.

While waiting for the loan, I came across this car on carsales.com.au
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...AG-AD-13034035
I will be test driving this Lancer also tomorrow. I should be able to pull this off at a very decent price. I know the shortcomings, but I can buy this without a loan, this is a big advantage.
In a years time, I should be in a position to buy a better car.

Any thoughts?
The car has crossed 100,000 mark so the questions that you need to ask are:
1) Has the major servicing being done post that 100,000 km and the required/ recommended changes by company done or pending?
2) I am aware after 5 years of car you have inspection by RTM, check out what all was identified. especially when were tires replaced.

My brother in law recently bought a similar lancer so sharing it with you.
RishiSuri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 08:23   #115
BHPian

Thanks for that RishiSuri, do you know any independent mechanic whom I can approach to get an evaluation. I am planning to get a CarFacts report as well. Anything else that can authenticate the dealers claims?
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:05   #116
BHPian

I found this car at one of the best auto dealers in Sydney, at their Audi branch.
http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...12873212/?Cr=0

Test driving this one tomorrow too.

I am tempted to go for this one rather than the Lancer, considering the kilometers. Any thoughts?
Old 25th July 2016, 09:37   #117
BHPian

Was an awesome weekend. Went car shopping, alomst bought a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid HL done 87K for 22800 from a Toyota dealer. Coudn't go past the leather everything, power everything and amazing fuel efficiency. Paid advance of $1K and applied for finance. However, was worried about the big loan and the long term reliability of the car, given that my usage would be very minimal. Did a carfacts.com.au report and it showed 4 prior owners, couldn't sleep at night, so decided to cancel this morning.

Financial sense prevailed and made a split second decision to get another car I had test drove, a 2007 Mazda 3 Neo with 50K on the odo for $11K all inclusive. This came from an Audi dealer belonging to the same group as the Toyota dealer. With 3 years unlimited kms warranty and another six month of rego to go. Drives nicely for a 2007 car, 0 rattles, 0 issues as far as I could see, carfacts.com.au report also clean.

Head wins over the heart and the Mazda it is for some time, thanks for all the suggestions and guidance. Drive safe.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 25th July 2016 at 09:38. Reason: add more content
Old 25th July 2016, 12:28   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Was an awesome weekend. Went car shopping, alomst bought a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid HL done 87K for 22800 from a Toyota dealer. Coudn't go past the leather everything, power everything and amazing fuel efficiency. Paid advance of $1K and applied for finance. However, was worried about the big loan and the long term reliability of the car, given that my usage would be very minimal. Did a carfacts.com.au report and it showed 4 prior owners, couldn't sleep at night, so decided to cancel this morning.

Financial sense prevailed and made a split second decision to get another car I had test drove, a 2007 Mazda 3 Neo with 50K on the odo for $11K all inclusive. This came from an Audi dealer belonging to the same group as the Toyota dealer. With 3 years unlimited kms warranty and another six month of rego to go. Drives nicely for a 2007 car, 0 rattles, 0 issues as far as I could see, carfacts.com.au report also clean.

Head wins over the heart and the Mazda it is for some time, thanks for all the suggestions and guidance. Drive safe.
Good call mate. Congratulations on the acquisition, wish you many happy kms.

Do post some pictures.
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 10:25   #119
BHPian

Quote:

Mazda, Honda and Toyota are hassle free cars, Good choice. I also bought a Mazda SP25 last month and been loving the drive
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 10:32   #120
BHPian

I've been enjoying the car too, however my 1K advance is stuck with the Toyota dealer. Hopefully, they will refund it. Fingers crossed.

Have any of you used the GPS systems which have a wireless reverse camera and Bluethooth and FM function to stream music as well as directions to the cars stereo?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/3510...pid=107&chn=ps

Are they any good? Any other options available to add navigation and bluetooth.