Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread

Old 30th September 2010, 12:48   #16
BHPian

If I were Audi I would be damn annoyed. First VW screws Audi's brand equity by pasting the distinctive Audi rear look all over the $15,000 Jetta
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1594505 (Spied: New VW Jetta VI)

And now they go ahead and liberally borrow from the Audi front face for the $22,000 Passat!
Attached Images

Old 30th September 2010, 12:53   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
If I were Audi I would be damn annoyed. First VW screws Audi's brand equity by pasting the distinctive Audi rear look all over the $15,000 Jetta
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1594505 (Spied: New VW Jetta VI)

And now they go ahead and liberally borrow from the Audi front face for the $22,000 Passat!
They own Audi so they can do what they want.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Am quite sure that the 3.0 Litre Passat CC engine you mentioned is a petrol ,not an oil burner. 300bhp ?? If i am not mistaken its rated at 265hp.

A7 sport back at 57 ex showroom ????? WOW i expected a lot more ( say 70 for the 4.2 TDi )
I love the A7 for its looks and it is definitely on radar as 1 of the future targets. From point of view of pricing that i expected, 57 ( maybe for 3.0 TDI ) is very good IMO.
An A7 with that 350ps 700 odd NM torque V8 oilburner. My my....how badly would i want that !
>>>Platzda Turbo,

The 3.0 litre is indeed not an oil burner; I overlooked that.
The ACI has done a brief (all too brief in my view) TD of the A7 on Sardinia's twisties in a separate section and have come to the conclusion that it is a sheep in wolf's clothing (I would prefer my car to be a wolf in sheep's clothing) and so it has more style than handling savvy. The headroom at the rear is limited too as is the case with these fastback style statements. Moreover the price of 57 l is for a 2.0 litre CRDI ( I think); there was no mention of the 4.2 TDI. How I wish the A7 had more powerful engines with handling to match! The interiors are nice, with yacht style wood panelling. I would have expected the ORVMs to be the ones that were shown on the Sportback concept a year ago- those were superb. In fact I had voted the Sportback concept as one of the most beautiful cars that I had seen.

Given the info that we have currently, I would rather plump for the CC, which seems to have better engines, a more commodious rear and obviously is almost half the price. It is another matter that to afford the CC I have to discover an oil well in my residential building.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 30th September 2010 at 13:04. Reason: Made additions
Old 30th September 2010, 13:31   #19
BHPian

I am desperately waiting for this car.According to ACI the car will hit our shores around February 2011.It will have the similar power train like the Skoda Superb which includes a 1.8 TSi and a 2.0 Diesel.

In my opinion there will be still no DSG in the petrol variant and one will only get it in the diesel variant.
Old 30th September 2010, 16:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Yawn, it looks boring, it seems like more of a facelift. Similar to the Golf 6, strategy, something a little more than a facelift but not a complete makeover.

This reminds me of Intel's tick-tock strategy for the processor model. The "tick" is when they bring out something hot, followed by a "tock" a year down the road where they tweak it to remain competitive till the next "tick"
Old 4th October 2010, 10:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>Platzda Turbo,

The 3.0 litre is indeed not an oil burner; I overlooked that.
The ACI has done a brief (all too brief in my view) TD of the A7 on Sardinia's twisties in a separate section and have come to the conclusion that it is a sheep in wolf's clothing (I would prefer my car to be a wolf in sheep's clothing) and so it has more style than handling savvy. The headroom at the rear is limited too as is the case with these fastback style statements. Moreover the price of 57 l is for a 2.0 litre CRDI ( I think); there was no mention of the 4.2 TDI. How I wish the A7 had more powerful engines with handling to match! The interiors are nice, with yacht style wood panelling. I would have expected the ORVMs to be the ones that were shown on the Sportback concept a year ago- those were superb. In fact I had voted the Sportback concept as one of the most beautiful cars that I had seen.

Given the info that we have currently, I would rather plump for the CC, which seems to have better engines, a more commodious rear and obviously is almost half the price. It is another matter that to afford the CC I have to discover an oil well in my residential building.

Regards
Pardon me mods for the part again but really now issigonis, if you had an A7, would you be sitting in the rear considering you are a true petrolhead ???? I dont think we would spot NON enthusiasts with sportbacks like the A7,CLS and the likes. For them there are always the phaeton-like sedans to flaunt their money though they have no particular interest in the machine. I am quite tall at 6 feet 1, yet the limited headroom at the rear would hardly be a bother as i would hardly ever sit behind. I still have no clue how it feels to sit at the back of my A4.
2.0 CRDI, not happening. Just yesterday i saw C & B driving the A7 in Italy and there are two 3.0 TDI engines in the diesel segment. What you probably mean is , the 201 BHP engine. Its not 2 Litre but 3, just that it is detuned. You are spot on about 2 things though. There is no mention of the 4.2 TDI ( but considering its made its way into the A8 and Q7, its a matter of time till we see one on the A7 ) and second is the handling part. Again, like most Audis, CNB was complaining about the lack of feel in the steering.
For me as well, the A7 is probably 1 of the best looking cars and with that 4.2 TDI , it would be a WOLF IN WOLF's CLOTHING ,wont it ???
Old 4th October 2010, 14:29   #22
BHPian

Here is video of New VW Passat at Paris Motor Show 2010

Old 18th November 2010, 15:41   #23
BHPian

Hey Guys i went to the VW dealer in my city Dehradun.I went to book the Passat.But the guys told me that VW has stopped the production of the current Passat and Jetta(Petrol).He was not sure about the diesel Jetta.
They told me that the New Passat will be available by Maythe 2011.They were even accepting the booking for the new model and it was Rs 1,00,000/-.I was not sure about it so didnt book the car.But i called the dealer in Chandigarh to cross check and they also gave me somewhat similar answer.
Old 21st November 2010, 22:14   #24
BHPian

Thumbs up would be a Killer!

Now it will definitely be a Accord and Camry killer. The German seems to be loaded with futuristic features and will surely be at par with Japanese counterparts in safety and refinement. Just hope the prices will be competitive!
Good Luck VW.
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:46   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Now it will definitely be a Accord and Camry killer.
Ironically, VW shouldn't be bothered with killing the Accord or Camry (which Toyota hardly sells any of really). Within the Indian market, it's the Skoda Superb which rules the 20 lakh rupee game. Skoda pulled off a master move with the Superb's price & positioning, while VW couldn't have handled the current Passat any worse than they did.

Also, they had better focus on making reliable Passats. The current is a dud.
Old 22nd November 2010, 23:53   #26
BHPian

Default Germans taste

In my view Indian taste is not developed yet for the Germans autos. (Beemers and Merc are bought more for premium badge rather than their engineering value)
Superb is surely a superb package but anyways Skoda is also a VW subsidiary.
But superb lacks that road presence and this is the arena where Accord scored high.
With the new passat coming our shores German will surely be able to increase road presence.
I hope they provide good after sales service.

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion on The VW Passat Review Thread (Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review).

This thread is closed.

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2011 at 13:57. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread