Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 27th February 2014, 13:46   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Porsche Macan - baby SUV coupe'

Jalopnik's preview is quite a good read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopnik
The engine in the Turbo, with 400 horsepower and 406 pound feet of torque, is an absolute Leviathan. Power is immediate with basically no turbo lag. Combine that with Porsche's PDK, which is still the best gearbox out there, and you have a combination that is at home on track and in Sport Plus is brutal. The Macan S and its 340 horsepower is definitely slower than the Turbo, but it's still a strong combo. A strong, heavy combo that cooks its brakes after just a few hard laps on track. And even though it's not made to do this, it's a ton of fun.
Porsche Macan - baby SUV coupe'-19gcnx39aoldnjpg.jpg

Porsche Macan - baby SUV coupe'-19gcnx39ipnvfjpg.jpg

Porsche Macan - baby SUV coupe'-19gcnx77ih7pcjpg.jpg

Porsche Macan - baby SUV coupe'-19gcnxb5e2slmjpg.jpg

Porsche Macan - baby SUV coupe'-19gcnxb5kgh7ajpg.jpg

Jalopnik
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 14:56   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Porsche calls Macan the 'sports car' of the compact SUV segment. 1.3 million copies already sold. Coming to India MID 2014.

Source: Hormazd tweet
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 19:57   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Porsche calls Macan the 'sports car' of the compact SUV segment. 1.3 million copies already sold. Coming to India MID 2014.

Source: Hormazd tweet
I think you need to rephrase this a bit. I read your post as ‘1.3 million copies of Macan are already sold’.

From what I could understand, the tweet says 1.3 million premium compact SUVs sold worldwide, and hence the potential (for Macan) is huge.
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 07:46   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
From what I could understand, the tweet says 1.3 million premium compact SUVs sold worldwide, and hence the potential (for Macan) is huge.
According to AutoCar UK, its already sold 50K units and the waiting period is more than a year long.

Watch the Macan V6 Diesel taking on the Evoque.

deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 22:37   #65
BHPian

Somehow I find myself falling in love with this car. And if it costs around 50l, it will fall right in my budget!

But I must ask, I've looked around the forum but can't seem to get any clue about the maintainance costs for a Porsche? Are they much higher than, say, BMW or Audi?

If so I might do well to wait for the X4..
venom_op is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 12:01   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Somehow I find myself falling in love with this car. And if it costs around 50l, it will fall right in my budget!

But I must ask, I've looked around the forum but can't seem to get any clue about the maintainance costs for a Porsche? Are they much higher than, say, BMW or Audi?

If so I might do well to wait for the X4..
I doubt the car (coupe, if brought) would be in the 50 lakhs on road range, seeing porsches pricing i think it would be higher.

The maintenance cost is as much as a BMW or Audi..the spares and consumables are higher. My friend for his 911 shells out a lakh for service.
speedy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 13:18   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I doubt the car (coupe, if brought) would be in the 50 lakhs on road range, seeing porsches pricing i think it would be higher.
I watched Autocar's weekly show on Bloomberg UTV yesterday. Hormazd Sorabjee was reviewing the Macan when he mentioned that Macan is likely to be priced just below the elder sibling the Cayenne in India. He too, like Speedy above, mentioned Porsche's pricing strategy as a likely reason for such pricing.
mahesh_sn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 10:00   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

The maintenance cost is as much as a BMW or Audi..the spares and consumables are higher. My friend for his 911 shells out a lakh for service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
I watched Autocar's weekly show on Bloomberg UTV yesterday. Hormazd Sorabjee was reviewing the Macan when he mentioned that Macan is likely to be priced just below the elder sibling the Cayenne in India. He too, like Speedy above, mentioned Porsche's pricing strategy as a likely reason for such pricing.
Thanks speedy & mahesh_sn! Yeah. Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant 50l ex showroom. I am hoping it will be around 70 lakhs. Basically in the same ball park range as the Evoque.

And I hope/doubt the maintenance for a diesel baby SUV costs less than a 911!

I've heard Porsches ,in general, are super reliable! I was hoping for that reliability and fun factor. JLR don't really have the best track record when it comes to reliability, as far as i know. Or has that changed in recent times?
Old 18th March 2014, 12:13   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks speedy & mahesh_sn! Yeah. Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant 50l ex showroom. I am hoping it will be around 70 lakhs. Basically in the same ball park range as the Evoque.

And I hope/doubt the maintenance for a diesel baby SUV costs less than a 911!

I've heard Porsches ,in general, are super reliable! I was hoping for that reliability and fun factor. JLR don't really have the best track record when it comes to reliability, as far as i know. Or has that changed in recent times?
I am hoping too, that the 3 variants of the Macan are priced in the Rs 45 lakhs exshowroom starting range onwards and resulting to Rs 60 lakhs unto Rs 75 lakhs on road. Wishful thinking but lets hope for the best.

I think the maintenance for a diesel should be less but again its a Porsche..thats where they make their money.

Porsches are very reliable and do not break down that easily. The only cars i have seen giving trouble are the ones not looked after by the owners. In JLR i would say the older Sport and the Vogue gave trouble..i seldom have heard of an Evoque or freelander owner complain.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 13:16   #70
BHPian

The Macan might beat the Evoque in terms of driving fun and handling, but I feel it won't turn heads like the Evoque does where ever it goes.
The Evoque is much more beautiful and looks quite grown up as compared to the Porsche.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 10:36   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
The Macan might beat the Evoque in terms of driving fun and handling, but I feel it won't turn heads like the Evoque does where ever it goes.
The Evoque is much more beautiful and looks quite grown up as compared to the Porsche.

-Bhargav

That is definitely true! It's very hard for any other car to "evoque" the same level of desire as the baby RR.

But the Macan seems to have one of the most refined Diesel engines! Besides, it's a six cylinder! Refinement will be a key factor. And I doubt the Evoque will give the same kind of driving pleasure as the Macan.
Old 30th March 2014, 11:46   #72
BHPian

Well now. Autocar India's article says that the Porsche Macan is expected to cost between 80 lakhs to a crore.
Old 15th April 2014, 14:20   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Porsche Macan India launch in June.

Quote:
Quote:
The Macan which will compete against the likes the Audi Q5, the BMW X3 and the Range Rover Evoque in terms of size and purpose, will retail for almost twice the price of its base competitor models!

The demand for the Macan in international markets is already high and the capacity at Porsche's Leipzig facility where the Macan is made (50,000 units annually), is already running full steam. This means, allotment for the Indian market for the Macan will be limited in any case. And whatever this allotment might be,Porsche India is confident it will find takers, the Macan's premium pricing not withstanding.
Porsche will not homologate the Macan for India and it will come in as a CBU; also the reason it has decided not to bring the 3-litre, biturbo, 340PS Macan S petrol to India. Though Porsche India isn't saying much about the pricing of the Macan, expect it to cost Rs 90 lakh.
http://www.zigwheels.com/upcoming-la...in-june/18282/

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th April 2014 at 14:21.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 16:27   #74
BHPian

if the vehicle costs nearly the same as a Cayenne, my simple question is why wouldn't I buy a Cayenne !

It has to be around 75 L on road !! Please ! Opinions ???????
CBU route means 100% duty ? or more ?
harpreetkanwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 12:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Porsche Macan India launch in June.
At 90 Lakhs Porsche is really dreaming and another good product will either be sitting in the showrooms or in the companies stock yards, with no large volumes of sales. CBU route means higher costs and there are higher segment SUV's available in the market. Hope they are talking of the Macan Turbo costing Rs 90 Lakhs on road, even then its expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetkanwar View Post
if the vehicle costs nearly the same as a Cayenne, my simple question is why wouldn't I buy a Cayenne !

It has to be around 75 L on road !! Please ! Opinions ???????
CBU route means 100% duty ? or more ?

I feel even Rs 75 Lakhs on road is expensive for this car. CBU route means more duty and if i remember right the duty is 160 or 180 %

Last edited by speedy : 18th April 2014 at 13:00.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote