Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 13th November 2010, 06:00   #1
BANNED

Default Report: MPH show 2010.

There are 4 different threads that I shall have of this fantastic day I had, Four completely different experiences and four different perspectives all together. I request the mods not to merge them.

PART 1: MPH SHOW 2010, Earl's Court Exhibition Centre, London.

There comes a day in every man’s life where he knows what he is about to do or about to see will create an everlasting impact on his life. Such days come plenty in ones life, but most of these come as a surprise to one. Very rarely is there such a day when one truly knows what he is getting into. The 5th of November 2010 was probably one of those landmark days, which I won’t be forgetting that easily.

The stress of an impending research project looming over my head, and after an all nighter spent at the library; there was still a lot of energy left for what the day had in store for me. Hidden beneath the heap of research papers, academic journals and a dozen really large books, was a current copy of a popular British Automobile magazine. In that magazine, was a small, almost bookmarkish handout that read “The MPH show 2010”. What would usually go un-noticed, immediately grabbed my attention. Why? Simple. There was a large photograph of a man with a white racing suit and a white Helmet. Some say he is a traitor and he writes books, all we know is, he is called The Stig. Alongside him, obviously, were the more ‘human’ Jeremy ‘Jezza’ Clarkson, Richard ‘Hamster’ Hammond and James ‘Captain slow’ May.

If this doesn’t catch your attention, the picture of the large explosion and half naked woman or the power sliding cars most certainly will. No! I though to myself, you have too much to study and not enough time. But come on, will a petrol head really pass over an opportunity like this???......

The show in question was the 2010 MPH show featuring “Top Gear Live”, and the “star car” list was not just impressive, it was positively orgasmic. What this show basically is, is an orgy of high performance cars from almost every manufacturer in the world, and to top it all off, there were some World Exclusive cars that would be unveiled there too, but more on this on another thread.
Frantically calling every phone number I could find, I finally managed to get hold of the head of Public Relations, who assured me that access to the show wont be a problem and there will be a special ticket with my name on it waiting at the Front Desk. Delighted as I was, I hadn’t slept for the last 30 hours or so and was terribly tired. There goes my chance of a nap then.

I call a friend up and ask him if I can borrow his Camera for the day, to which surprisingly, he agrees. So there I was, all kitted with a Camera, ready to go. I get on the First train to Earls Court, and am there in a jiffy. I love how organized British Public transport is. In fact, most of this was typed on the Tube too! Anyways, the Earls court Exhibition Centre is right outside the Earls court station, and lo and behold, the new GT-R awaits me. She looks regal in her usual grey and she has her playmates as company. A lovely red 370Z cope and another brilliant black 370Z Roadster! And irrespective of what people say, the roadster looks nice.

So I walk in and approach the Press office and tell the fellow at the counter that I am being expected. The rope is unhooked with a smile and a customary “There you go sir” and I’m in. And as promised, I have a Ticket waiting. I love how the British are really courteous and nice but playful and sometimes even a tad bit naughty at the same time. Makes you feel a little welcome I guess.

I walk in and stop. I think I’ve died and Gone to Heaven!!!...............

I don’t think I have ever seen this amount of absolute and utter beauty in one place. And I am not talking about those really really, really really, really pretty girls at the show.

We gear heads always have that one pantomime car that we lust after, our in most cases, we have a few cars that we lust after, and being in India all your life doesn’t expose one to these mobile artworks. They aren’t machines, they aren’t a collection of cogs, and they are a set of DaVinci’s on Wheels. Or maybe you can classify them as a set of Mozarts with a face. But, where Mozart or DaVinci managed to grab just one or two of the human senses and shake them to bits, these awesome cars manage to grab your soul by the neck and shake the living daylights out of them.
Coming back to the show though, it can easily be classified as an orgy of motoring excellence. The moment I walked in, a Flash of red met my eye, Standing in front of me, was Schumacher’s F1 Ferrari. I did not have much time to actually Gawk at her, as awaiting in the corner of the Massive Earl’s Court Centre, was the car I was really there for. More on her later though..

Moving on, I was like a kid in a candy shop. Completely bewildered, I knew not what to shoot. I kid you not, I just stood there for a couple of minutes wondering what I had done to deserve this gracious show of gratitude from the heavens! A green Koenigsegg, a White Zonda Cinque, a couple of Murcielagos, a McLaren SLR, a Veyron, and standing smug next to all these greats, the car I was there to see…………

More soon. Stay Tuned.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 06:04   #2
BANNED

Pictures: Batch 1.
Attached Images

Old 13th November 2010, 10:04   #3
BHPian

This indeed is an event that will have an everlasting impact!

The beauties look stunning.

In the first pic, is that Jeremy in the brown jacket close to the Top Gear logo?

Eagerly waiting for the rest of the thread. How was the actual show? Did you see THE STIG? Could you see "THE STIG" driving? Have a lots of questions, but will wait for the remaining posts.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 19:57   #4
BANNED

Walking through the show, I kept my eyes wide open and my ears tuned to any sign of a V12 bellow. I was looking for something in particular. Something that made the cockles of my heart melt and my brain go numb. I knew she was there, the search continues.

Saw some really beautiful machines while walking around the place though. Was the First time I saw many of these in real life. Of the various cars present there though, I was instantly drawn to the classics section. Instantly, I was drawn to the insanely beautiful Napier Railton, Probably my most favorite classic racecar. Yes, I prefer it to a Classic Ferrari! Amongst the other cars present were a Mercedes S600 Grosser, a Superb Ferrari Daytona, a Ford GT40, a few Shelby Cobras, a fantastic Ferrari 250, a collection of some really good Porsche 911s, and a Concourse worthy Mercedes SL amongst many others.

Amongst all these, I got my first glimpse of a Lovely white Ferrari 458 and the really exciting Lamborghini Countach who had a lovely LM002 for company. Also present was a nice SSC Ultimate Aero and a really well Kept BMW M635i.

And then it happened……my first glimpse of what I was waiting my whole life for. A glimpse of a legend stretching its “wings” skywards…

More Coming soon...

For more pictures visit
Autocar India Forum: Report: The MPH show 2010
Attached Images

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 13th November 2010 at 20:06.
Old 13th November 2010, 20:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ever since they removed it from Park Lane, I've missed seeing the love of my life as well The only car whose sheer beauty drew me to tears the first time I finally laid my eyes on it after countless posters, magazines and hours playing an ever so popular computer racing game in the mid to late 90s. Admittedly, I was 14 then, but nothing trumps a young boy's dream coming true. I hope we're on the same wavelength here

Last edited by aniguchisan : 13th November 2010 at 20:07.
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 20:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

You guys talking of the 300SL?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 20:07   #7
BANNED

Nope. I am not. Something very modern and very red. Stay Tuned. Pictures added BTW.
Old 13th November 2010, 20:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You guys talking of the 300SL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Nope. I am not. Something very modern and very red. Stay Tuned. Pictures added BTW.
>>>

The Countach?

Do you have the Marzal or the Espada there?
For me the star of the show so far is the Railton.

Any Ghibli there? The most beautiful car in the world, bar none.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 21:37   #9
BANNED

Nope Nope. He is an Italian Legend. Yes, i think of that car as a He and not a she. Quite fiting considering the heritage etc.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Nope Nope. He is an Italian Legend. Yes, i think of that car as a He and not a she. Quite fiting considering the heritage etc.
Ah, gotchya. Well, let's just say I toyed around with its predecessor in NFS II then

Was up close and personal with one (obviously not sitting inside or getting a ride) about two months ago, as they were taking it out of the Bob Forstner showroom on Park Lane!
aniguchisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 22:16   #11
BANNED

I think you have got the "drift" of it aniguchisan.
Old 14th November 2010, 04:04   #12
BANNED

Exclamation

Some more Pics before we go on with the rest...
Attached Images

Old 14th November 2010, 07:11   #13
BANNED

Lets continue. And let me get straight to the point. I am a MASSIVE Ferrari fan. My Friends all think I am crazy, but that’s just the way I am. I grew up in the Era of the Diablo, but it never excited me. Sadly, neither did the F50. Sure, the F40 probably made me drool and excited me to the core and so did the 355, but there was that madness that was missing.

Come 2003, the madness was replaced by jaw dropping beauty. Named after one of the greatest names in Motor Racing and in the Automotive world in General, Enzo Ferrari, The “Ferrari Enzo” is one of my all time favorite cars. Just the fact that the door opens in the way it does was enough to give me a “Crisis”. And there she was. My Dream. One of the Greatest Cars that have ever been made. The Almighty ENZO!! The Veyron is great, but think it looks like a Pig, and next to the Enzo, it just looked lost.

Posted below are some pictures I managed to take of the Enzo. From what I remember, I just stood in front of her for at least fifteen minutes doing absolutely nothing. Just stood there and admired here. I love her. And though she isn’t my Favorite car, she most certainly is in the top three.
There are three more threads coming up on something completely different… I hope they can stay separate and not be joined with this, as they all have a particular meaning behind them.

I know this report isn’t written the way Sam Writes his, but I will never forget that day… Never.

for more pics please visit http://archive.autocarindia.com/auto...s.asp?TID=7661
Attached Images

Old 14th November 2010, 09:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

What a beautiful line up of cars Cyrus,thanks for the pics.Worth drooling over.
Nice to know you finally saw your legend although i loved the F40 more

Those porsches are amazing,911 classics and is that a carerra 2.7l?I think suhaas hasnt seen the pictures yet or else he would have written a "longish" comment on them already!

Lovely aston vantage,man you could spend hours looking at these beauties.Is the 600 Grosser Jeremy's?
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 17:20   #15
BANNED

Yes, I believe that I jeremy's car. And James' Rolls was right next to it. Also, There was an F40 there too. but that will be in another thread.