Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 16th November 2010, 12:05   #1
BHPian

Default Honda to discontinue the Civic for the Japanese local market

In Japan.

That news was shocking to me as it used to be the top selling car for Honda along with Toyota's corolla.

Source:
2010/11/16 00:52 - Honda To Stop Selling Civic In Japan
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 12:40   #2
BHPian

@ ramkris,
Same here. It really seems to be a shocking news as Civic has also grabbed a huge fan following & also a good amount of market share here in India.
But we should really wait till there is a official announcement by Honda Motor Corporation, Japan.
From the news, sources says that Honda will discontinue the current version along with the hybrid version that is currently available in Japanese market.
Honda seems to have a plan to go with Green Cars.
Here is the news:
Honda Stops Selling Gas Civic In Japan Market
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 16:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed most surprising. Obviously the Japanese market is moving the Hybrid way in their reckoning.

However, I expect the Petrol engined vehicle to continue for some years at least. The chassis/engine bay will certainly take the engine etc. and there will be decent engines (and gearboxes) available.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 16:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
In Japan.

That news was shocking to me as it used to be the top selling car for Honda along with Toyota's corolla.

Source:
2010/11/16 00:52 - Honda To Stop Selling Civic In Japan
really shocking!!
And if they do the same for india then the civics would be selling like dirt cheap in the used market.Finally I can own one
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 16:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
really shocking!!
And if they do the same for india then the civics would be selling like dirt cheap in the used market.Finally I can own one
"The automaker will continue selling the Civic around the world. A fully updated model is due to be launched next year."

No such luck for you...

Last edited by AbhiJ : 16th November 2010 at 16:38.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 17:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
civics would be selling like dirt cheap in the used market.Finally I can own one
Not necessary, they can be priced even 10-20% more than the current market price as the numbers would be less & becomes a pride to own a Civic.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 17:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Not necessary, they can be priced even 10-20% more than the current market price as the numbers would be less & becomes a pride to own a Civic.
Rather than pride, I think they'd be more concerned about the fact that their car is now out of production! Esp. for people who would plan to sell it, the resale value will tumble.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 20:06   #8
BHPian

Default That's shocking news

The article starts with the below:-
"
TOKYO (Nikkei)--Honda Motor Co. (7267) plans to end domestic sales of its Civic midsize sedan as soon as existing inventories run out.
The automaker will continue selling the Civic around the world. A fully updated model is due to be launched next year.
"

They say they will sell till inventories last.

Now one question. This is basically due to the lack of knowledge of various car companies's plant facilities in India.

Are the Civic engines manufactured in India or are they imported?
Does engines come under the category of "inventory" ?

The 2nd sentence seems to be contradicting the 1st one unless they have plants wherever Honda has launched Civic.

Right now, I am confused
bkbkr1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 20:24   #9
BANNED

No worries in India. Honda will continue selling the Civic even if is discontinued elsewhere. Otherwise they may increase the price of the City.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 20:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
The 2nd sentence seems to be contradicting the 1st one unless they have plants wherever Honda has launched Civic.

Right now, I am confused
The article clearly says that "Even after domestic sales end, the company will continue manufacturing the car for export at its Suzuka plant in Mie Prefecture." So whats the confusion?
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 20:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
The article clearly says that "Even after domestic sales end, the company will continue manufacturing the car for export at its Suzuka plant in Mie Prefecture." So whats the confusion?
Ooopsey, I missed that part. Thanks for clearing HH. Sorry
bkbkr1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 12:24   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Part of the problem is this : Unlike few volume markets like India which feel "bigger is better", most developed countries actually prefer compact / well-sized cars. The new Accord is a classic case : It's simply a h-u-g-e barge. Also, the Civic of today compares to the size of Accords only 3 - 4 generations old. There's a limit to how much bigger a car gets (if at all) with each successive generation. I've read some articles on how Americans haven't taken kindly to the Accord's increased proportion. And it's a known fact that the Japanese love it small!

I guess this sums it up:

Quote:
Honda sold only 9,000 Civics in the Japanese domestic market in 2009, when the model's global sales totaled 609,000 units.
Quote:
Honda's Japanese domestic sales totaled 182 Civics and 270 Civic Hybrids.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 18:24   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Both the Civic (sedan) and the Accord (US version) are designed solely for American customer. Whatever they sell in other countries is just a bonus.

On the contrary, the Fit/Jazz has been a chart topper for many years.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 11:49   #14
BHPian

Just an update:
Honda Corporation, Japan is not discontinuing Civic all the way, but only the current generation as they will be launching New Civic in 2012 & it has been already spied testing in Japan. The current generation will be available till the stock lasts.
Here is the link to this news:
New Honda Civic 2011 | CarTradeIndia.com
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote