Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 9th February 2011, 22:38   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Punto | The best selling car in Italy for 17 years in a row!

Interesting. They should have launched the Punto here instead of the GP which is now the lowest selling hatchback along with the Aveo.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 22:58   #32
BHPian

WOW!!!!!feels great that I have owned 2 of the largest selling cars of 2 countires.Alto & Punto
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 14:32   #33
BHPian

Default Re: What are the best selling cars around the world?

@ DicKy:
Can't wait to know more about the Saudi Arabian market! Regarding your question on the Ford F Series selling more than any other vehicle in the USA, this has been the case for the 24th year in a row (uninterrupted since 1986). You can see the article about the USA 100 best selling models in 2010 here.
I think one thing to remember is that sales of the Ford F Series may not happen in big cities like New York or Los Angeles, but as soon as you get out of the big cities it is amazing the number of Ford F-Series and other pick ups that you can see.
Plus New York and Los Angeles have maybe 15 million inhabitants each, and a few other big cities like Chicago, San Fransisco, Miami etc maybe amount altogether to 60-70 million in total, given the whole population of the USA is 313 million (source here), that leaves over 200 million inhabitants living in big regional areas and buying mostly pick-ups. I don't believe there is such a thing as 'rural' in the US, at least the way you would mean it for India for example. And Texas still has 25 million inhabitants on its own (nearly half of France's population) mostly regional, so it's still massive.

Also, not all Ford F-Series sales are workhorses, it is also considered a cool 4WD vehicle to have even if you don't own it professionally (I have observed the same trend in Australia where I reside with the Toyota Hilux being the 3rd best seller in the country).

-> So this is my humble attempt at an explanation :-)

@noopster: thanks for your compliments, I really appreciate it!

As far as the BYD F3 is concerned, BYD is a Chinese brand (Build Your Dreams is the entire name) and the F3 is their best-seller (the front is inspired by the previous gen Toyota Corolla and the back by the previous gen Honda City), reaching the #1 spot in the Chinese market for the 2nd year in a row in 2010.

You can find the list of the 200 best selling models in China in 2010 (with pictures for the entire Top 10!) here.

Also you mention 37 countries having a Toyota as best seller out of 113. You might want to check the latest update of my list of best-sellers here (I update it every time the best-seller in a country changes). The number of countries with a Toyota on top of their models sales ranking has now gone up to 70 out of 154! In other words, nearly half the countries in the world have a Toyota as the best-seller, with the Toyota Hilux estimated to be the best-seller in 28 countries alone!

Lastly noopster, I have covered Pakistan and Nepal in my blog:

Pakistan official car sales for the whole of 2010 as well as for each year back to 1995 can be seen here. The Toyota Corolla is #1 by far with a mammoth 30% share.

In Nepal I have estimated that the Hyundai i10 is the best seller there, with the Maruti 800, Swift, Wagon R, Tata Indica, Kia Rio and Hyundai Verna are also selling very well. I don't have any official figures yet so if any one can help in that domain that would be amazing.

@ all: you can check the best sellers in 154 countries around the world by going to this page and clicking on the country of your choice on the right hand side of the page.

Most popular countries/areas by number of visitors so far are India (obviously! :-)), Iran, Germany, Europe, USA, Philippines, France and Egypt.

Enjoy!
Matt

Last edited by Aussie : 10th February 2011 at 14:51.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 18:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

@Asdon Grande Punto is not the same as Punto.
Old 10th February 2011, 18:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
@Asdon Grande Punto is not the same as Punto.
Don't tell me that you're kidding!

For your info, Fiat Grande Punto is the facelifted 2nd generation Fiat Punto.

If I start to think the way you does, I can shout to the whole that the Suzuki Alto that is being sold worldwide is 7th generation of the Suzuki Alto that was launched in 1979!!

Last edited by Surviving Brain : 10th February 2011 at 18:53.
Surviving Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 20:02   #36
BHPian

Wow that's great news.Punto is the no.1 hatchback in India to many including me.I have never seen a car that combines beauty and build like the Punto in its class.
fast&furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 20:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am tempted to say, "So?". Because in Italy people seem to by buying the Punto just like people in India buy the M800s and the Altos. As alluded to in HammerHead's post.

Fiat seems to have blown it again. In India that is. I am a Fiat owner and love their cars. But they just do not seem to know how to sell. :(
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 20:59   #38
BHPian

Hi,

I feel proud to own a No 1 product for 17 years in a row.
wish to see the No. 1 position here in india also!!

& here is my GPE+
Attached Thumbnails
What are the best selling cars around the world?-dsc_3721.jpg  

subbarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 21:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

@subba,

Beautiful picture of a beautiful car. I wish I could see more on the road instead on the web.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 02:08   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Brain View Post
If I start to think the way you does, I can shout to the whole that the Suzuki Alto that is being sold worldwide is 7th generation of the Suzuki Alto that was launched in 1979!!
Jesus man, my head is spinning trying to make sense of this. Why dont you take a look at this

FIAT/Showroom/Punto 5 door

Quote:
Don't tell me that you're kidding!
OK, I wont

Quote:
For your info, Fiat Grande Punto is the facelifted 2nd generation Fiat Punto.
oh really

Last edited by Mpower : 12th February 2011 at 02:16.
Old 12th February 2011, 10:57   #41
BHPian

Guys just so it is clear for everyone:

When I say the Fiat Punto has been #1 for 17 years in a row in Italy this means:

- From November 1993 to September 2005 the 3 different generations of Fiat Punto successively held the pole position in Italy (Punto I: 1993-1999, Punto II: 1999-2003 and Punto II phase 2: 2003-2005)
- From September 2005 to 2009 the figures are for the Fiat Grande Punto AND Punto 'Classic' (in actual fact the Punto II phase 2) combined as the UNRAE doesn't distinguish between the 2 models.
- From 2009 onwards the Punto figures are the combination of Grande Punto, Punto Evo and Punto Classic. The Punto Evo is in fact a Grande Punto phase 2 so really the same model, and Punto Classic sales are very low anyway.

Hope this makes sense?

For the list of all generations of Punto and illustrations see here.

For the Top 50 best selling models in Italy in January 2011 (with the Punto Number 1 again at 8% market share) see here.

Lastly, since 1993 more than 6 million Fiat Punto were produced, and more than 2 million Fiat Grande Punto!

cheers
Matt

Last edited by Aussie : 12th February 2011 at 11:03. Reason: Added production figures
Old 12th February 2011, 11:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

I lived in Saudi for 11 years and I can give my observations (nothing official about it, though).
Toyota obviously leads by miles in terms of sedans. Even you can buy there a Cressida in good running condition now! Their outlets, dealers, service centers and parts availability is incredible. They have almost subdued all other Japanese and Korean car makers big time.
Next I would say will be Hyundai and Mazda, closely followed by KIA and Nissan. Mitsubishi is almost non-existent there,though very popular in other Middle east countries.
As far as German cars, all makers have almost equal shares in cars in the luxury segments.
In terms of SUVs, Lexus seems to be the leader here, though all other makes are also quite popular.
MUVs of course dominated by the inimitable 'Suburban' of the Chevvy closely followed by Ford's biggies like Explorer.
Pick up trucks though have almost spread-out share, not dominantly Toyota.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 22:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Got it right @RajaTaurus.
Toyota is king in Saudi Arabia especially among the expatriates and Cressida. (phew perfect sedan).
Regarding Germans, all i have seen are Mercs and BMWs. Have yet to see an Audi from 1992 to 2003. Maybe now the scene has changed.
And the MUVs you have told about. Even though their usage and characteristics are more like an MUV with long bonnet, they are still technically SUVs and vastly popular among the domestic buyers(including the muttawas).
And pick ups it's a close fight between Toyota,Nissan and Mitsubishi.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 01:11   #44
BHPian

Ok Punto being No.1 for 17 odd years in Italy is a nice achievement.

But what about the Maruti 800? I guess this too must have been on the No.1 list for a quite a long while.
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 11:00   #45
BHPian

Hi everyone,

One more country now has Full Year 2010 figures available:

See the Top 20 best selling models in Croatia here
There is debate over whether the VW Polo or Opel Astra should be considered the best selling car in Croatia...

Now 27 countries have January 2011 best selling models available:

Argentina with the Peugeot 207 Compact #1 for the first time

Australia with the Toyota Corolla #1 for the 3rd consecutive month for the first time in the country

Brazil with the VW Gol at 10% and the VW Voyage at #10

Canada with the new Hyundai Elantra already #1

Czech Republic with the Hyundai ix20 breaking into the Top 20

Finland with the Nissan Juke up to #21

France with the Peugeot 206+ at best ever 5th

Germany with the new VW Passat up to #2, check out the 200 (yes 200!) best selling models on the link

Greece with the Opel Corsa #1

India with the Maruti Alto, Hyundai i10 and Ford Figo beating volume records

Ireland with the Toyota Avensis #1

Japan with the Toyota Prius dethroned by the Honda Fit (aka Jazz)

Mexico with the Chevrolet Spark at #6

Netherlands with the Renault Twingo #2 and the Seat Ibiza #5

New Zealand with the Toyota Corolla at 12% share

Norway with the Mistubishi ASX up to #11

Romania with the Dacia Logan #1 at 'only' 15% share

Russia with the VW Polo in the Top 10 for the first time thanks to the sedan version

Slovakia with the Kia Sportage up to #3

South Africa with the VW Polo Vivo back to #1 and the Ford Figo at best ever #4

South Korea with the new Hyundai Grandeur up to #6

Spain with the Seat Ibiza #1 and the Seat Exeo in the Top 20 for the first time

Sweden with the new Volvo V60 up to #3

Taiwan with the locally-built Luxgen 7 SUV at best ever 6th place

UK with the Ford Focus #1 ahead of the new generation's launch

USA with the Chevrolet Cruze in the Top 20 for the first time at #12

Venezuela with the Chevrolet Aveo over 20% market share

Enjoy!
Matt