Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 6th December 2010, 14:32   #1
BHPian

Default What are the best selling cars around the world?

Hello everyone,

In the past 6 weeks I have worked on a blog to reference the best selling cars in as many countries around the world as possible. So far I have managed to add information about 113 countries.

The blog is here: Best Selling Cars Matt's blog

For most of the main car markets in the world, the figures are official and sourced on local car websites which I always provide a link for in the articles.

For other markets where no data is available, I relied on observation in the country if I had the chance to visit that country (Egypt, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe for example), or if not I tried to find recent (2009 or 2010) YouTube videos of the streets/roads of that specific country and extrapolate what should be the best sellers there. Some countries are pretty easy to decipher as a few models have a big market share and appear very frequently in the streets, some are harder...

My objective is to publish information about the best selling models in all countries in the world that have more than 1 million inhabitants. I still have 43 to go as of today, 28 of which in Africa...

Obviously the more people that come to the party to share data or their view of which are the best selling cars in their own specific country or a country they have visited or know, the more accurate the information on the site will be.

I have become a member of team-bhp about a month ago and have been thoroughly impressed by the amount and the quality of the knowledge that you guys display on the site. Team-bhp is truly one of the most expert and knowledgeable car communities in the world.

That's why I thought there is no better place than to share the fruit of long evenings and nights spent compiling the best selling car info on my blog and open it up to the community for you guys to share your views, impressions about all this data: what countries do you think you have a better knowledge of, what surprised you, why do you think the cars sold in different countries are so vastly different from one another? Anything that comes to your mind after viewing the blog...

To finish I would like to share a little compile that I have done (but not yet published because I still don't have info on ALL the countries in the world) and I guess this can be a good "thread-starter".

Based one 2010 Year-to-date official rankings, estimations, and pure (honest) speculation from myself after viewing as many recent YouTube videos as possible, I have listed the number of countries in which a specific car is or is estimated to be the best seller.
All countries count for 1 so it doesn't matter the size of the market (and therefore this doesn't reflect the worldwide sales of each model) what matters is that specific model is #1 in that country.

So far with 113 countries listed, the 3 cars that appear most often at the #1 position are the Toyota Corolla (13 countries), the Toyota Hilux (10 countries) and the Volkswagen Golf (9 countries). Again a lot of this is speculation but I thought it would be interesting to share this listing.

Again for the detail in each country please see Best Selling Cars Matt's blog

Number of countries in which the model is/is estimated to be #1 (countries listed in alphabetical order):

13 for Toyota Corolla: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Kenya, Myanmar, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe (one of 2 models to be #1 in 4 separate continents)

10 for Toyota Hilux: Botswana, RD Congo, Ethiopia, Iraq, Laos, Panama, South Africa, Sudan, Thailand, Yemen

9 for VW Golf: Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Norway, Switzerland

7 for Toyota Yaris/Vios: Bahrain, Greece, Guatemala, Malta, Oman, Peru, Philippines (that is 4 separate continents too!)

5 for Chevrolet Aveo: Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt, Venezuela

5 for Toyota Camry: Cambodia, Hong Kong (China), Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia

4 for Dacia Logan: Bulgaria, Moldova, Morocco, Romania

3 for Chevrolet Corsa Classic: Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay

3 for Skoda Octavia: Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia

2 for Ford F Series: Canada, USA

2 for Ford Focus: Cyprus, Hungary

2 for Kia Cerato Forte: Singapore, Syria

2 for Maruti Alto: Bhutan, India

2 for Renault Megane: Estonia, Portugal

2 for Renault Symbol: Algeria, Tunisia

2 for Toyota Land Cruiser: Qatar, United Arab Emirates

2 for VW Polo: Iceland, Netherlands

1 for BYD F3: China

1 for Chevrolet Captiva: Albania

1 for Chevrolet Optra: Lybia

1 for Chevrolet Spark: Macedonia

1 for Fiat Punto: Italy

1 for Ford Fiesta: UK

1 for Holden Commodore: Australia

1 for Hyundai Accent: Turkey

1 for Hyundai i10: Nepal

1 for Hyundai Sonata: South Korea

1 for Kia Picanto: Lebanon

1 for Lada 2104: Russia

1 for Mazda3: Israel

1 for Mitsubishi Lancer: Jordan

1 for Nissan Sentra: Bolivia

1 for Opel Astra: Croatia

1 for Nissan Sunny: Sri Lanka

1 for Nissan Tsuru: Mexico

1 for Perodua MyVi: Malaysia

1 for Peugeot 207: France

1 for Peugeot 405: Iran

1 for Renault Clio: Slovenia

1 for Seat Ibiza: Spain

1 for Skoda Fabia: Bosnia

1 for Skoda Yeti: Lithuania

1 for Toyota Avanza: Indonesia

1 for Toyota Aygo: Denmark

1 for Toyota Innova: Vietnam

1 for Toyota Prius: Japan

1 for UzDaewoo Nexia: Uzbekistan

1 for VW Gol: Brasil

1 for Volvo V70: Sweden

1 for Zastava Koral: Serbia

1 for ZAZ Lanos: Ukraine

Looking forward to your reactions!
cheers
Matt
Aussie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 18:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Matt, firstly welcome to the forum and a hearty congratulations on putting in some really hard work compiling this list. This list just shows how far ahead Toyota is in the mass market!
shamik.bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 18:42   #3
BHPian

Wow 113 countries?? Great!!!
The numbers reflected in your blog are really interesting. Its amazing to see different models/companies have different consumer record/appreciation accross the world as the taste buds differ

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 6th December 2010 at 18:49.
RemingtonSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:22   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys, glad you like the site! Yes it has been a labour of love... I have added Ghana yesterday and working on Mozambique today... Fascinating though...
I would love to know what results surprised you...??
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 18:29   #5
BHPian

Default Re: What are the best selling cars around the world?

Now updated with Italian November figures, Polish October figures, and last but not least... Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) a very interesting market shifting towards low cost 4WD's like the Great Wall Hover and the Dacia Duster...
Any reactions?
bestsellingcars
Old 20th December 2010, 17:56   #6
BHPian

Hey guys!

I now have completed 151 countries, that is roughly all countries in the world that have more than 2 million inhabitants...
And the ranking by models I posted above has changed dramatically, so I thought I'd give you an update before I actually publish it on my blog.

See the updated list below, if you want to check any country in the world go here: Best Selling Cars Matt's blog

27 for Toyota Hilux: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Rep, Chad, RD Congo, Congo (Rep), Cote d'Ivoire, El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iraq, Laos, Liberia, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Panama, Senegal, South Africa, Sudan, Thailand, Yemen

18 for Toyota Corolla: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Burundi, Georgia, Jamaica, Kenya, Myanmar, New Zealand, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Rwanda, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe

9 for VW Golf: Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Norway, Switzerland

8 for Toyota Camry: Cambodia, Hong Kong (China), Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan

7 for Toyota Yaris/Vios: Bahrain, Greece, Guatemala, Malta, Oman, Peru, Philippines

4 for Chevrolet Aveo: Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt

4 for Dacia Logan: Bulgaria, Moldova, Morocco, Romania

3 for Chevrolet Corsa Classic: Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay

3 for Lada 2104/2105: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia

3 for Skoda Octavia: Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia

2 for Chevrolet Optra: Lybia, Venezuela

2 for Ford F Series: Canada, USA

2 for Ford Focus: Cyprus, Hungary

2 for Ford Ranger: Haiti, Sierra Leone

2 for Hyundai Accent: Cuba, Turkey

2 for Kia Cerato Forte: Singapore, Syria

2 for Maruti Alto: Bhutan, India

2 for Mitsubishi L200: Honduras, Madagascar

2 for Renault Megane: Estonia, Portugal

2 for Renault Symbol: Algeria, Tunisia

2 for Toyota Land Cruiser: Qatar, Somalia, United Arab Emirates

2 for Toyota Prado: Guinea, Togo

2 for VW Polo: Iceland, Netherlands

1 for BYD F3: China

1 for Chevrolet Captiva: Albania

1 for Chevrolet Spark: Macedonia

1 for Daihatsu Terios: Costa Rica

1 for Fiat Punto: Italy

1 for Ford Fiesta: UK

1 for Holden Commodore: Australia

1 for Hyundai i10: Nepal

1 for Hyundai Sonata: South Korea

1 for Kia Picanto: Lebanon

1 for Mazda3: Israel

1 for Mitsubishi Lancer: Jordan

1 for Mitsubishi Pajero: Ghana

1 for Nissan Sentra: Bolivia

1 for Opel Astra: Croatia

1 for Nissan Frontier: Dominican Republic

1 for Nissan Sunny: Sri Lanka

1 for Nissan Tsuru: Mexico

1 for Perodua MyVi: Malaysia

1 for Peugeot 207: France

1 for Peugeot 405: Iran

1 for Renault Clio: Slovenia

1 for Seat Ibiza: Spain

1 for Skoda Fabia: Bosnia

1 for Skoda Yeti: Lithuania

1 for Toyota Avanza: Indonesia

1 for Toyota Aygo: Denmark

1 for Toyota Innova: Vietnam

1 for Toyota Prius: Japan

1 for UzDaewoo Nexia: Uzbekistan

1 for VW Gol: Brasil

1 for Volvo V70: Sweden

1 for Zastava Koral: Serbia

1 for ZAZ Lanos: Ukraine

Enjoy!
Matt
Best Selling Cars Matt's blog
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:10   #7
BHPian

Hi everyone!

Final 2010 figures and rankings are now available in most major countries in the world, and you can see what the best selling cars in the following countries are:

Algeria: Renault Symbol #1

Argentina: Chevrolet Corsa #1

Australia: Holden Commodore # 1 for the 15th year in a row...

Austria: VW Golf in the lead

Brazil: VW Gol #1 for the 25th year in a row!

China: BYD F3 #1

Czech Republic: Skoda Octavia #1

Denmark: Toyota Aygo #1

Europe (27 countries): VW Golf #1 for the 3rd year in a row...

Finland: VW Golf #1

France: Peugeot 207 #1 for the 4th year in a row

Germany: VW Golf #1

Greece: Toyota Yaris #1

India: Maruti Alto #1 with over 300,000 sales!

Indonesia: Toyota Avanza #1

Ireland: Renault Megane #1

Italy: Fiat Punto #1 for the 17th year in a row...

Japan: Toyota Prius #1 and breaks record!

Latvia: VW Golf #1

Mexico: Nissan Tsuru #1

Netherlands: VW Polo #1

New Zealand: Toyota Corolla #1

Norway: VW Golf #1

Romania: Dacia Logan #1 for the 6th year in a row

Russia: Lada 2105/2107 leader

Slovakia: Skoda Octavia #1

Slovenia: Renault Clio #1

South Africa: Toyota Hilux #1

South Korea: Hyundai Avante #1

Spain: Seat Ibiza #1

Sweden: Volvo V70 #1

Switzerland: VW Golf #1

UK: Ford Fiesta #1

USA: Ford F Series #1 for 24th year in a row...

Venezuela: Chevrolet Aveo #1

Vietnam: Toyota Innova #1

Enjoy!
Matt
Old 8th February 2011, 12:01   #8
BHPian

Great information and thanks for sharing with us. I wonder how Honda is not there in the list?
vsk2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 12:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: What are the best selling cars around the world?

@Aussie,

Great information, appreciate the hard work that has gone towards it.

One question - Ford Fiesta is no 1 in UK. Is this the hatch you are referring to.

Was surpised to know Toyota Innova is no 1 in Vietnam. Is this based on the sales figure or preferability?
Is there no country where Honda, Suzuki, Mitsubhi top the charts? I thought Honda Civic may find a mention in some country.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 13:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is brilliant piece of work mate! I guess nobody in the world would have compiled this kind of data. As far as countries that I know of, your picks are spot on: Saudi, Kuwait, India and Srilanka. Hondas, Mistubishis, Nissans, Mazdas are obviously falling far behind the clear leader Toyota as far as Japanese cars are concerned in terms of Volume.
Toyota is to the World what Maruti Suzuki is to India in terms of volume sales.
Looking for more interesting world patterns in cars.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 13:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Fiat Punto | The best selling car in Italy for 17 years in a row!

Now, I've one good reason to feel proud being a FIATian!

Quote:
December car sales are down 22% in Italy at 131,202 units, bringing the 2010 total to 1,972,617, down 9% on 2009. The Fiat Punto is the best selling car in Italy for the 17th year in a row (the 1st gen Punto launched in Nov 93) with sales down 15% at 155,301 (7.9%).

The Top 6 is unchanged this year: the Fiat Panda is #2 for the 9th year in a row, down 19% at 7% share, ahead of the Ford Fiesta (-8% at 5%), Fiat 500 (-15% at 3.5%), VW Golf (-8% at 2.6%) and Opel Corsa (-2% at 2.6%). The VW Polo is up 69% and 12 spots in 7th and the Renault Clio is up 34% and 5 spots in 10th.

In December, the Mini breaks into the Top 10 for the first time since its reintroduction in 2001: it is 10th with 2,440 sales, the new Ford C-Max is #17 and the Fiat Doblo reaches its best at #21.

More commentaries, December and Full Year Top 50 below.

Other 2010 highlights include the 15th place of the Opel Astra, up 9 spots and 29% with 26,681 sales, the 20th place of the Renault Megane (+30%), the 24th place of the Peugeot 206+ (+ 18 spots), the 25th place of the Renault Scenic (+96% and 34 spots!) and the arrival of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta at #34 (14,399 sales) and the Chevrolet Spark at #38 (13,530 sales).
Source :

1) Italy December 2010: Mini in Top 10, Punto #1 for 17th year Best Selling Cars Matt's blog

2) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post2218048 (What are the best selling cars around the world?)
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 13:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Punto | The best selling car in Italy for 17 years in a row!

Thats some news but was wondering why no one posted this info earlier? You sure about the source?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 15:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk2009 View Post
Great information and thanks for sharing with us. I wonder how Honda is not there in the list?

I was wondering the same thing
its heartening to know that our very own Maruti figures in two countries
san2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 15:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Honda will not be on this list, as India is different than world. Please understand. When I came to India after 15 years in the middle east, and studied the car market scenario here, I learnt how Honda has built its image and exploiting on it and I was also wondering the opposite, 'Why Honda cannot do the same anywhere in the world'?
Look at our neighbors Srilanka - they have a proven workhorse Nissan Sunny as best seller, proven for reliability for over 3 decades all over world. You will hardly see a Honda City there. All other brands are equally popular - Mazdas, Mitsus, Toyotas, Hondas, Even Tatas - almost equal share there with Nissan with a marginal edge. We are different, mate!
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 16:23   #15
BHPian

@vsk2009, @san2: glad you're enjoying the data compilation! The Honda Civic and City simply fall behind the Toyota Corolla and Yaris/Vios in most countries around the world. There just don't seem to be a country where they are standout winners...

@ ghodlur: thanks for the praise I really appreciate it! It's a similar story to Honda for Suzuki and Mitsubishi... although popular and well-known these brands don't have a model that does extraordinarily well and ranks #1 in a given country. Mitsubishi does really well in the Philippines at 19% share (see here: Philippines Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog) but does not rank its best model #1: the Fuzion is at best 3rd behind the Toyota Vios and Innova

For the UK ranking, yes I am referring to the Ford Fiesta hatch. The sedan version is not available in Western Europe. However the UK leadership may change this year as the new generation Ford Focus is being launched: see the January 2011 UK article here:
UK Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog

As far as Vietnam is concerned the figures published are official sales figures from VAMA, the Vietnam Automobile Manufacturers Association (:: Welcome to Vama ::) and I can tell you this is verified in the country: I was in Vietnam for Christmas and the Toyota Innovas are everywhere to be seen!

@ RajaTaurus: thanks very much for your comment! It would be awesome to think that no one else in the world has compiled this kind of data! Glad to see that you can confirm Saudi, Kuwait, SriLanka and India...

@ All: check out the January 2011 articles in the first 3-4 pages of the blog here: Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog

If you are interested in getting the monthly figures as soon as I publish them you might want to subscribe to my blog or follow me on twitter: it's all in there!

For those who are wondering about the source of all those figures, I mention my source at the end of every article (below the ranking table) and clearly state when the article is an estimation based on observation in the country.

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited by Aussie : 8th February 2011 at 16:34.