Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 5th January 2011, 18:37   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Post Camaro Dethrones Mustang from its 24 Years of Rule

I must say it doesnt come as much of a surprise keeping in mind how Stunning the latest Camaro looks, The Bumblee Factor must have helped

Quote:
General Motor Co.’s Chevy Camaro snatched the sports-car crown Ford Motor Co.’s Mustang had held for 24 years.

The Camaro in 2010 outsold the Mustang 81,299 to 73,716. The two models have been battling for sports-car sales supremacy since the redesigned Camaro returned to the market in 2009 after a seven-year hiatus. Mustang had been the U.S. leader since 1986, according to Ward’s AutoInfoBank of Southfield, Michigan. The rivalry dates to the 1960s.

The muscle-car matchup broke out as President Barack Obama and automakers sought to shift U.S. vehicle buyers to more fuel- efficient models. GM just introduced the Volt plug-in hybrid, Nissan Motor Co. has begun selling the Leaf electric hatchback and Ford has new hybrid and electric models that are scheduled to be revealed at the Detroit auto show next week.

“This race represents the America that loves cars,” said Rebecca Lindland, an auto analyst with IHS Automotive in Lexington, Massachusetts. “These vehicles demonstrate that Americans still love well-designed, well-proportioned and well- performing cars.”

Camaro sales rose 32 percent in 2010, while Mustang sales rose 11 percent. Sales of both fell in December: Camaro by 26 percent, Mustang by 16 percent.

For Complete Article check Source
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 18:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Camaro Dethrones Mustang from its 24 Years of Rule

Well, Mustang had the first mover advantage in the 2000s revived muscle car fight as it was never phased out,unlike the other two.
Now the Camaro rightly deserves it.Heard that the Mustang engines were not as powerful(the stock v6 ones).
Where does it leave the Challenger? I just love the retro style and it's size, but compared with the other two, its nowhere near the fight.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 19:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Attaboy Camaro. Even though there are far lesser Camaros on the road but this is a welcome news. It certainly has got the looks and muscle. But 24 years of rule is outstanding nevertheless. I hope it can stay this way for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Camaro Dethrones Mustang from its 24 Years of Rule-img_0545-large.jpg  

Attached Images

prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 21:14   #4
BHPian

It would be interesting to see how much of these sales were contributed by "Transformers".

Anyway, I see both these cars are wannabe sports cars, something a college goer wish to own.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 21:20   #5
BHPian

Better engine, new look led Camaro all the way. Mustang has been sitting with the same design for over 5yrs now, and the engines are less responsive compared to the Camaros.
With the Convertible Camaro coming in March i think its going to jump up those numbers

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 5th January 2011 at 21:22.
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 21:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Anyway, I see both these cars are wannabe sports cars, something a college goer wish to own.
The Mustangs are every college goer's dream car here and there is a way about the mustangs that you have never really driven it unless you have been ticketed by a cop. Thats strange. The Camaro however has found a place in most Arab kids' heart who can afford Camaros. Probabaly I'll snap a parking lot during Jumu'ah prayers. Infact the camaro that I posted was in a parking lot of a masjid, and belongs to a middle eastern guy.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 5th January 2011 at 21:33.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 22:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Better engine, new look led Camaro all the way. Mustang has been sitting with the same design for over 5yrs now, and the engines are less responsive compared to the Camaros.
With the Convertible Camaro coming in March i think its going to jump up those numbers
The new 3.7 V6 with 305 hp and 5.0 coyote V8 are significantly more refined, responsive and modern in the 2011 mustang. Dual VVT, 24 and 36V DOHC and all aluminum construction have changed the mustang's game. The camaro's sales peaked at a time when mustang was undergoing engine changes and its horrible 4.0 and 4.6 V8s were replaced. The camaro will again get a new L38 V6 with 3.6 and 330 hp so the battle will get more interesting. Dodge too has upgraded the challenger with 3.6 pentastar V6 and 6.4 V8 in the SRT. 2011-12 will be an interesting year too see the pony car wars but i think that the mustang may take the lead again. Reason? The Boss 302.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 23:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
The new 3.7 V6 with 305 hp and 5.0 coyote V8 are significantly more refined, responsive and modern in the 2011 mustang. Dual VVT, 24 and 36V DOHC and all aluminum construction have changed the mustang's game. The camaro's sales peaked at a time when mustang was undergoing engine changes and its horrible 4.0 and 4.6 V8s were replaced. The camaro will again get a new L38 V6 with 3.6 and 330 hp so the battle will get more interesting. Dodge too has upgraded the challenger with 3.6 pentastar V6 and 6.4 V8 in the SRT. 2011-12 will be an interesting year too see the pony car wars but i think that the mustang may take the lead again. Reason? The Boss 302.
Absolutely the 2011 Mustangs offer better engine options esp the 5lt in GT, which is missing in the Camaros, but how many GTs sell compared to the base..atleast from what I have seen its the premiums that sell more than the GTs. Will the Boss add much value to the existing numbers?
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 01:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
It would be interesting to see how much of these sales were contributed by "Transformers".

What do you mean wanna be sports cars dude ?? The 2011 Mustang 5.0 is as fast as the BMW M3, and i do mean on a proper race track. I clearly don't think that the M3 is a wanna be sports car.

The Camaro's position on top will surely be short lived. The 5.0 Mustang and the new V6 engines are just awesome from Ford. There is no way in hell the Camaro can remain on top in 2011, definitely not with all that weight and impracticality.

And no matter what Chevrolet brings out Ford has the answer with the Boss 302. It's no surprise since Mustang's were in the game for the past 20 years while the Camaro just popped up after a 20 year gap. It clearly shows in Mustangs interiors, ride, engine refinement and practicality.

The only reason Camaro sold well in 2010 was because the 2010 Mustang used an old 4.6 iron block V8 and it was being replaced by the 5.0 in 2011 plus all the Camaro fan boys waiting all these years for the Camaro just needed to buy one in 2010.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th January 2011 at 02:31. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 10:22   #10
BHPian

The engines were getting replaced for the 2011 model (in year 2010) as such lots of mustang fans held off their purchase.

The current V6 has more HP than then outgoing V8 from the previous year.
Warhound is offline   Reply With Quote