2012 VW Passat (US Version). World Premiere Pics on Page 2-2012vwpassat11.jpg  

2012 VW Passat (US Version). World Premiere Pics on Page 2-2012vwpassat12.jpg  

2012 VW Passat (US Version). World Premiere Pics on Page 2-2012vwpassat13.jpg  

2012 VW Passat (US Version). World Premiere Pics on Page 2-2012vwpassat14.jpg  

2012 VW Passat (US Version). World Premiere Pics on Page 2-2012vwpassat15.jpg  

Old 11th January 2011, 01:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: 2012 VW Passat (US Version). World Premiere Pics on Page 2

I like the interiors but overall it looks like a bigger Vento, specially from the front
Old 11th January 2011, 07:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default re: 2012 VW Passat (US Version). World Premiere Pics on Page 2

Quote:
..but overall it looks like a bigger Vento, specially from the front...
I kind of felt like looking at an Audi over a Vento. The headlights for a second felt like Audi and the rear just looks like A4 except for the exhaust pipes.

The interiors looks very classy and the chrome trim on the doors adds more snub value. The dead pedal is HUGE

I personally feel like seeing an Audi..
Old 11th January 2011, 09:33   #19
BHPian

Default Re: 2012 VW Passat (US Version). World Premiere Pics on Page 2

VW looks like going back from stunning designs to plane Jane ones. I don't think that will help much in increasing sales, especially in the US.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

i wonder if this is as cheapened as the new jetta

Oh i am pretty sure it would.Cheapened with regards to interior trim quality & hence price as well. Going by the way the Superb is selling , it would be almost mandatory for VW to price it a notch below what they did before ,if they hope of making any headway at all. For now and for sometime to come at least, the Superb is king.
I wonder though, what would they offer MORE than the superb to make customers deviate from Autohangar/JMD etc to VW downtown,east,west etc.
In our market, both of them are pitched along side eachother unlike other places where VW is above Skoda. VW does not command the brand value of the Teutonic trio. To add to their troubles, the superb is ridiculously loaded with limo-like space that is hard to beat. I dont think even the NEW Passat that we see here as Superb beating rear space.
VW had a chance of affecting Skoda sales by providing excellent A.S.S as anyone interested in buying a car from this segment would more often than not ,be aware of the Skoda A.S.S horror stories. Yet, though VW havnt given out absolute shockers in A.S.S like skoda have (as of now) , not much has been commented upon their A.S.S either. All i have heard is that they are not all that pleasant to deal with either. Damn what is wrong with the VW group ?? Everyone including Audi, A.S.S is never a smooth ride !
Anyway,pricing is the probably the only area from where they could eat into Superb sales.
Expect them to price it bang on in Superb territory. Should be fun
Old 11th January 2011, 15:45   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As one from the old-school of design, I absolutely love the new Passat! VWs were never about being flashy or wearing unconventional designs. In fact, I much prefer the styling of the Passat over the Superb. Gotta give it to VW & Audi for keeping their look clean, proportionate and sans any quirkiness.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:12   #22
BHPian

+1 GTO

Passat was never flashy in the past. The new version is clean, straight forward and is true to it's roots.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:50   #23
BHPian

As rightly pointed out it looks like a overgrown vento.

For me the front looks like vento and the rear is taken from Audi. Nothing new. The interiors looks w\very well put together but nothing innovative or drastically new.
Old 11th January 2011, 19:14   #24
BHPian

If I read correctly somewhere, the US version starts at 7000 USD less than the base EU version.
So if that isn't a result of cheapening WHILE STILL increasing length and wheelbase by about 100 mm, and width by about 15 mm over the EU version, I do not know what is!
The Passat in Europe has LED daytime running lights, with option for xenons; this one doesn't.
Take a look at the back bench; no rear AC vent!
EU Passat has LED tail-lights, which are shaped totally differently to the US version.
EU Passat has front and rear park sensors; notice anything missing here?
EU Passat has a colour MFD, and larger Head Unit screen.
And so on...
If any of the two versions are to be considered slab-sided, it would probably be the longer wheelbase US version!
Old 11th January 2011, 20:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....If I read correctly somewhere, the US version starts at 7000 USD less than the base EU version......
How to build a cheap VW Passat - Car and Car-Buying News - What Car?

Guess you are referring to the above article. Going by that article the current Jetta in US does not have the multi link suspension that We have.

The cheapening exercise is definitely there for the US markets. The question is whether the Indian Versions(similar to EU versions) will undergo such cuts to atleast match the current market price.
Old 12th January 2011, 11:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
As one from the old-school of design, I absolutely love the new Passat! VWs were never about being flashy or wearing unconventional designs. In fact, I much prefer the styling of the Passat over the Superb. Gotta give it to VW & Audi for keeping their look clean, proportionate and sans any quirkiness.
I think your choice is clearly reflected in your cars as well. The CIVIC is probably the most clean and attractive design in HONDA's recent history.

I too like the new design language of VW. They give this clean and somewhat sexy looking cars without any of the 'unnecessary detailing'. I simply don't like odd looking cars. for e.g. I believe the current gen Hyundai Verna (post facelift) is the worst looking car in its segment.

GTO, whats your pick on the 'new' Jetta? Any idea when this could come to India. I am in for a new sedan this year

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 12th January 2011 at 11:13.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GTO, whats your pick on the 'new' Jetta? Any idea when this could come to India. I am in for a new sedan this year
I don't know how much one can trust the dealers. But the one in chennai suggested the Jetta will reach India only by late december or early 2012. May be he was trying to impress me with current Jetta. He said VW is looking at launch of Passat first.
Old 13th January 2011, 12:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know how much one can trust the dealers. But the one in chennai suggested the Jetta will reach India only by late december or early 2012. May be he was trying to impress me with current Jetta. He said VW is looking at launch of Passat first.
I don't have visibility either. I like the Vento too but for its spartan and somewhat 'hard feeling' plastics (though none of it is cheap like those of ANHC central console). If Vento had been any 'plusher', I would have gone for it right away. BTW, any concrete info on the release of new Jetta in India?

After looking at the 'uninspiring/confused' design of the new CIVIC, suddenly the new Jetta looks even more enticing

Yes, I agree the new Passat may come in first..
Old 13th January 2011, 13:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After looking at the 'uninspiring/confused' design of the new CIVIC, suddenly the new Jetta looks even more enticing
Personally I like the grill from the old Jetta and didnt like the fact that Vento and Jetta may look exactly alike from the front which takes away the snub factor for me. The current cars in display in the Chennai show room as both Vento and old Jetta. The more I visit the show room the more i am leaning towards the Old grill. I have to tell you that I like old school. My RE bullet still looks like the old bullet. My friends even suggesting hiring someone to hold an umbrella for me and suggesting me to wear the see through, red dress made out of silk.
Old 13th January 2011, 13:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion on The VW Passat Review Thread (Volkswagen Passat : Test Drive & Review).

This thread is closed.

Beautiful!

Though it looks like an extended Vento to me. Especially the rear side resembles the Vento a lot.

@VW2010: I agree with your experience at the dealer. Same happened with me when I talked with a Ford dealer regarding the new Fiesta. He said it might come this year or next year. But he said "sir there is close to 80K discount on the current Fiesta. Why dont you go for that?"...

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2011 at 13:58. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread