Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 26th February 2011, 11:55   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Top Gear Season 16

I havent seen a single episode this season but Episode 6 I sure will and will make up for everything. All three cars that I love. Should be a cracking episode.
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 15:23   #137
Senior - BHPian

What a drive!!! I am speechless....the best thing in season 16.

I'll watch it again and again.

Last edited by amit V8 : 28th February 2011 at 15:33.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 19:05   #138
Senior - BHPian

Havnt seen the episode 6 yet,is it good?
avishar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 19:40   #139
Senior - BHPian

The 6th episode is good. The challenge, the 80's super cars and the lunar vehicle were all well presented. The cool wall is also back after two years in this episode.

Last edited by speedmiester : 28th February 2011 at 19:42.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 03:24   #140
BHPian

Amazing. The 959 vs the F40. Wow. The XJ Suspersports as well. I got goosebumps during the Ayrton Senna segment. Loved it!
Karthik-zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 14:07   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
5th Episode episode was boring. Are they just going through the motions this season ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Ep.5 was quite boring. When are they coming back with challenges like the train vs. GTR or Veyron vs. airplane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
Done with episode 5. Didn't quite enjoy it.Don't know what exactly is the matter with TG this season.Where have all the supercars gone? There were quite a lot of them..
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
It's official. This Sunday marks the last episode of the current series.

I somehow haven't enjoyed the current series at all. I hope the final show makes up for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Episode 5 was boring.
I wish I could forward this thread to the folks at TG. I have every episode of the show and was looking forward to this season because there was SO much to showcase - the SLS, the 458, the MP4-12C. They could have done so many interesting things with these cars - each of them was practically made for an epic challenge like the old DB9-to-Oslo, Veyron-vs-Plane, 612-Scaglietti-to-Verbier, or GTR-vs-Bullet-train episodes. They could have even done one of these epic challenges as a farewell tribute to the Zonda.

Is TG losing their touch? Im beginning to wonder. The fact that Bentley refused at the last moment to send them the Mulsanne to test in Albania is worrying to me, because it tells me that TG is losing their clout and more importantly their relevance. Clarkson once said that this show was about "driving a great car on a great road", but by what stretch of imagination does dropping a Beetle from a helicopter have to do with this?

I would've loved to see May review the new 5-series, and hear what they thought about the new design. May once did a great test of an Alfa 159 against a man crossing the Humber River. Why couldn't they do something like that in this season for the 5-series? Or take 3 new sports coupes from 2010/2011 and do a new version of the episode where they compared the RX-8, Audi TT, and Alfa Brera?

Clarkson, May, and Hammond used to be the last word when it came to reviewing cars but the last couple of seasons have been more about indulgent flights of fancy and less about the cars themselves, which is why car manufacturers probably see little advantage gained in sending over their latest products for review.

I REALLY hope they come to their senses with the next season.

EDIT: I just noticed this was my 300th post. Woohoo!!

Last edited by ghostrider : 1st March 2011 at 14:09.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 19:29   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
there was SO much to showcase - the SLS, the 458, the MP4-12C. They could have done so many interesting things with these cars - each of them was practically made for an epic challenge like the old DB9-to-Oslo, Veyron-vs-Plane, 612-Scaglietti-to-Verbier, or GTR-vs-Bullet-train episodes. They could have even done one of these epic challenges as a farewell tribute to the Zonda...

...I would've loved to see May review the new 5-series, and hear what they thought about the new design. May once did a great test of an Alfa 159 against a man crossing the Humber River. Why couldn't they do something like that in this season for the 5-series?
Ah yes the epic challenges! I know exactly what you mean. In episode 6, Jeremy races the Jaguar XJ-L Supersport against the Sun! Which may seem ridiculous, but it was extremely funny!

Quote:
Is TG losing their touch? Im beginning to wonder. The fact that Bentley refused at the last moment to send them the Mulsanne to test in Albania is worrying to me, because it tells me that TG is losing their clout and more importantly their relevance. Clarkson once said that this show was about "driving a great car on a great road", but by what stretch of imagination does dropping a Beetle from a helicopter have to do with this?
I don't think TG will ever lose their touch. Some companies have their own reasons for not giving journalists a car. The Beetle dropped from the helicopter is just a stunt. It's sensation at the end of the day, and that's what TG is all about.

Quote:
Clarkson, May, and Hammond used to be the last word when it came to reviewing cars but the last couple of seasons have been more about indulgent flights of fancy and less about the cars themselves, which is why car manufacturers probably see little advantage gained in sending over their latest products for review.
TG is more entertainment than informative. People must know that the hosts' words should not be taken seriously, as they keep cocking about. They themselves admit it all the time.

I don't think Clarkson, Hammond and May used to be the last word when it came to reviewing cars. People watch TG for its humor and the their sensational cinematography.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:42   #143
Senior - BHPian

@suhaas: +3 to you. (+1 to all 3 segments )
Episode 6 was brilliant. The 959 v/s f40 left me speechless. The power crazed turbocharged beasts were a whole different ballgame. And I've no idea why the producers bothered giving Jezza a choice between the Supersport and the diesel XJ The moon buggy bit was nice too!
shamik.bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:49   #144
BHPian

An overall ok episode, but the 959 vs F40 was the high point. Only, Richard drove and talked about the Porsche more (obviously). Kindof wished Jeremy did that segment instead, and would have loved to see a lap time.

I guess they forgot to put in that armored vehcile segment which they showed in the Season preview. Just like Hammond in the bullet proof car from a few seasons ago, I guess that will be confined to the storage bin.

Still, no more Top Gear until June :(
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:34   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Ah yes the epic challenges! I know exactly what you mean. In episode 6, Jeremy races the Jaguar XJ-L Supersport against the Sun! Which may seem ridiculous, but it was extremely funny!
I know, I watched it... but it seemed a little blah to me. Especially compared with some of the previous epic challenges they've done.

Quote:
I don't think TG will ever lose their touch. Some companies have their own reasons for not giving journalists a car. The Beetle dropped from the helicopter is just a stunt. It's sensation at the end of the day, and that's what TG is all about.
I know car companies have their own reasons, and Bentley could've had a million reasons for declining to give them a Mulsanne for that episode, but my point is that Im starting to see a trend where the sensationalism is becoming a little cliched and less and less relevant. Earlier seasons were great, because underneath a thin veneer of sensationalism and "cocking about" was usually very real and very relevant information. Case in point - the Fiesta test where they stormed the beach. Good stuff.
I don't agree that they're all about sensationalism... they are quintessentially a car show and like I mentioned in my previous post, in Clarkson's own words the show is about driving a "great car on a great road". Remember the Humber bridge episode (Zonda vs GT vs 430)? Or the 'Greatest Driving Road' episode (Vantage Racer vs Superleggera vs GT3RS)? Those were brilliant, I've watched them a dozen times each. I can't remember the last time they did something of that caliber. Even the Romania episode (California vs DBS Volante vs Gallardo Spyder) seemed a little..... 'meh', if you know what I mean.

Quote:
TG is more entertainment than informative. People must know that the hosts' words should not be taken seriously, as they keep cocking about. They themselves admit it all the time.
I don't think Clarkson, Hammond and May used to be the last word when it came to reviewing cars. People watch TG for its humor and the their sensational cinematography.
I'd like to politely disagree again. Yes they keep cocking about, but I dont think that's all it is. I also found that the earlier seasons of TG gave us some wonderful insights on the cars that were being reviewed... like the Alfa 159 in the Humber River test, or when May reviewed the Bangle 5 series, or countless others. I guess I think they need to dial down the pointless and dial up the relevant a little bit.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 23:13   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I know car companies have their own reasons, and Bentley could've...

...I think they need to dial down the pointless and dial up the relevant a little bit.
Well if you had to nitpick, yes TG seems to have gotten a little boring off late. But I wouldn't write them off either. Yes many older episodes were quite informative despite being silly. They did have some seriously relevant points.

I'm not really worried about TG being less informative and more about entertainment. For info, I'd watch 5th Gear, or even subscribe to magazines, or heck, browse Team BHP! But for the sheer fun and entertainment, I'd never miss TG. Some episodes might seem boring, and some might seem alright, but TG does have magic in them, and we do see it every now and then, and that's what separates them from the others.

I'm really looking forward to the new 17th Season that's slated to commence from June. The Ferrari FF, the new Pagani Huayiayuayiuayau, and the new Lamborghini Aventador are the cars to watch out for. Not to mention the new Aston Virage and a whole slew of hot hatches and fast sedans. Yumm!!!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 16:24   #147
BHPian

Default Top Gear now in BBC Entertaintment channel

It's about time. Top Gear now in BBC Entertainment Channel. If it's been on for long then

Channel # 912 in TATA Sky.The next show is @ 5.00 PM and waiting to see which series is on.

@Mods : Pls merge if a similair thread exists. i could find only series specific threads.

Last edited by 2theMax : 17th March 2011 at 16:32.
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 17:11   #148
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Top Gear now in BBC Entertaintment channel

Oi, they've already been through a season or two...
I think the last episode i saw had the kia, so probably season 15 now.
Anyway, if you became a TG nut when it was on BBC news, then you gonna love this.
full episodes!!
As a righteous fan, i abstained from TG all these years to watch legitimate airings on mass media channels.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 17:16   #149
BHPian

The last time I watched, they just showed 40 minutes of the original 1 hour show because of the ads due to which the climax of their feature film was cut.

P.S: It's showed on channel 205. The 900 series is reserved for your favourite channels.

Last edited by prateekm : 17th March 2011 at 17:18.
prateekm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 17:55   #150
Team-BHP Support

It's on channel 205.

Today they showed an interesting feature of Gallardo Biocolore edition. They compared this feature with how extensive caravaning ( highest number in Europe is in UK) ruining the open roads of UK and a unique solution of reaching a caravan site by hot air balloon with the Gallardo closely following the airborne balloon.

Quite a witty anology with some great footage of the Gallarado.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote