Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 17th March 2011, 18:28   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Top Gear now in BBC Entertaintment channel

What's the difference between top gear and fifth gear? I see some ex top gear car jornalists like tiff needle and vicki henderson butler appear on 5th gear but the format and the overall look and feel is just like that of top gear? Is it a rival program or just that the older episodes of top gear are being shown on Discovery Turbo as 5th gear?
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 18:58   #152
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Top Gear now in BBC Entertaintment channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
What's the difference between top gear and fifth gear? I see some ex top gear car jornalists like tiff needle and vicki henderson butler appear on 5th gear but the format and the overall look and feel is just like that of top gear? Is it a rival program or just that the older episodes of top gear are being shown on Discovery Turbo as 5th gear?

blasphemy!!

seriously though,yes there's been host migration.
you go to fifth hear for technical points.
you come to tg for entertainment, and JC..
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:23   #153
BHPian

Default Re: Top Gear Season 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'm really looking forward to the new 17th Season that's slated to commence from June. The Ferrari FF, the new Pagani Huayiayuayiuayau, and the new Lamborghini Aventador are the cars to watch out for. Not to mention the new Aston Virage and a whole slew of hot hatches and fast sedans. Yumm!!!
Do you know for a fact that they're going to cover these cars or are you just assuming they will?
If you're assuming, I think you'll be disappointed. Look at how long after the SLS was released they covered it. What about the Mp4-12C? STILL no review, no first drive. New M5? Same story. New 6-series? Same story. Bentley Mulsanne? Still no review.

A lot of people seem to think that TG's only an entertainment show and everything is very tongue in cheek and that it's just there for a few laughs. I disagree. It used to be that you'd peel back a thin veneer of buffoonery and 'cocking about' and you'd glean some very relevant information about the cars being reviewed. Not any more.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:46   #154
Senior - BHPian

^^you recall how long it took them to get the veyron around their track?

off note:try reading hammond's book, "on the edge".
it gives a really good insight into TG, apart from his life.
and how he landed the job.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:27   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Do you know for a fact that they're going to cover these cars or are you just assuming they will?
If you're assuming, I think you'll be disappointed. Look at how long after the SLS was released they covered it. What about the Mp4-12C? STILL no review, no first drive. New M5? Same story. New 6-series? Same story. Bentley Mulsanne? Still no review.

A lot of people seem to think that TG's only an entertainment show and everything is very tongue in cheek and that it's just there for a few laughs. I disagree. It used to be that you'd peel back a thin veneer of buffoonery and 'cocking about' and you'd glean some very relevant information about the cars being reviewed. Not any more.
Nope, I don't know for a fact that they will feature these cars in the next season. That would be impossible. Yes, it's an assumption. Well, in the 16th Season, they mentioned the likes of the new Pagani, the Ferrari FF and even featured the new Mclaren MP4-12C in their studio. So I may safely assume that they might feature these cars in the next season.

But what I'm really looking forward to is a new Jeremy Clarkson film, akin to the 2010 Italian Job. All cars that featured in S16 were seen in that film, and it was out a good month or so before S16 hit the screens.

Yes, under all the 'cocking-about', there is quite a lot of info that you can take from it. But it's 70% cocking-about, and 30% seriousness. Unlike 5th Gear, which is exactly the opposite.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote