Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 1st April 2011, 03:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Earthquakes and the Jap Car Makers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I am not sure about the recovery of auto OEMs. However Japan as a country is already on its way to recovery.
Thats for sure. Got this via email distribution.

Quote:

Subject: 10 things to learn from Japan

1. THE CALM

Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief. Sorrow itself has been elevated.

2. THE DIGNITY

Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a rough word or a crude gesture.

3. THE ABILITY

The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings swayed but didn’t fall.

4. THE GRACE

People bought only what they needed for the present, so everybody could get something.

5. THE ORDER

No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on the roads. Just understanding.

6. THE SACRIFICE

Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?

7. THE TENDERNESS

Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared for the weak.

8. THE TRAINING

The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they did just that.

9. THE MEDIA

They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters. Only calm reportage.

10. THE CONSCIENCE

When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the shelves and left quietly
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 08:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I am not sure about the recovery of auto OEMs. However Japan as a country is already on its way to recovery.

I am amazed at their hard work and efficiency. They did this is 6 days!!??

Here is the original link - Japanese repair quake-ravaged road in just six days — Autoblog
i think the photo is photoshopped. The trees on right and left are dead give away. Look how different they are in color, density and where they are placed.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 18:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i think the photo is photoshopped. The trees on right and left are dead give away. Look how different they are in color, density and where they are placed.
Me too had a nagging suspicion. However what I suspect is that the post photo is actually a pre-quake photo taken in a different season.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 23:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Me too had a nagging suspicion. However what I suspect is that the post photo is actually a pre-quake photo taken in a different season.
If you look at the location of electricity line tower and that green sign post on the left side and compare the position of trees to it, they seem correct along with the assumption that some additional trees and shrubs are cut off.

All bets are off, if the photo is taken prior to the Earthquake

Last edited by gshanky : 1st April 2011 at 23:20.
gshanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 07:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Toyota to cut India output by 70% due to parts shortage

Toyota to cut India output by 70% due to parts shortage - The Economic Times

Quote:
Japan's Toyota Motor will cut production at its Indian subsidiary by up to 70% between April 25 and June 4 due to disruption of supplies following last month's earthquake and tsunami in the country's northeast. The two Bangalore-based plants of Toyota Kirloskar Motors, the joint venture between Toyota and the Kirloskar group, will not operate on Mondays and Fridays during the period.

The restructured production plan will see about 7,000 fewer vehicles being produced a month, leading to a revenue loss of around 500 crore for the Indian subsidiary. The world's biggest automaker produces 11,000 units a month at its JV, in which it holds 89% equity.

"It is a temporary measure to adjust production as per the supplies from our overseas locations. Based on the availability of components in future, we will chalk out our future strategy," said Sandeep Singh, Toyota Kirloskar Motor's deputy MD (marketing). In India, Toyota produces the multi-utility vehicle Innova, premium sedan Corolla Altis, SUV Fortuner, and the Etios sedan, which has a long waiting period.
Honda, Suzuki also Face Similar Problems

Quote:
"We anticipate another month of waiting for most of the models that currently ranges from one month to three months due to this production schedule," Singh said. Japanese carmakers Suzuki and Honda, which have large units in India, were anticipating similar problems in sourcing critical parts from home companies.

Honda Siel Cars expects some production bottleneck from May, when its stock of critical parts could go dry. "We are looking at possible options to get over any kind of crisis, but some of the components sourced directly from Japan may interrupt regular production in future," a company spokesperson said. Suzuki, which operates in India through Maruti Suzuki, may face problems from tier-II supplies.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

Similarly I have been seeing news pieces that they ramping down at even other places.

In Japan its half!

News Headlines

In UK they are reducing to day and a half week.

BBC News - Toyota to reduce UK output due to earthquake
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Re: Earthquakes and the Jap Car Makers

Quote:
No it isn't photo shopped. It's real guys. Here is the link of the construction company that did the work.

constructionbtechnologybEast Nippon Expressway Company Limited

OT : No wonder the Japanese are miles ahead of us technology wise. We take months and sometimes years to construct a road and even then the road develops cracks after a few months.

Well I know its it's more to do with our politicians and road contractors who eat away half the money than technology too
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 00:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

There was an earthquake to day on 11/4/12 . It is centered in Indonesia and the tremors were felt in Chennai. The employees of a software company were evacuated and given holiday.A scene of that time in OMR Chennai.
Attached Thumbnails
Earthquakes and the Jap Car Makers-img_0005.jpg  

Earthquakes and the Jap Car Makers-img_0006.jpg  

navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote