Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP Worldwide > The International Automotive Scene

Old 5th April 2011, 11:22   #1
BHPian

Default Pinnacle engines. 30% more efficient

Hello guys,

Saw a related article in a blo and followed it to its source. The company claims to have an minimum efficiency improvement of 30% and max of 50%.
They also say it is suitable for petrol, diesel, GNG, LPG engines alo.
Imagine my car giving an milage that is more than half of what my motorcycles provide. You can enjoy speeds of 150 kmph and yet you get a milage of 20 kmph..mmm I am loving it

Source: Pinnacle Engines | Technology

article
Quote:
Pinnacle Engines has taken old ideas around engine efficiency and combined them with breakthrough engineering to create something entirely new. We have developed and patented an ultra-efficient engine design based on a four-stroke, spark-ignited (SI), opposed-piston sleeve-valve architecture using conventional engine manufacturing techniques. The design is enhanced through the use of the Cleeves cycle, which Pinnacle Engines has been developing and refining since its inception. In essence, the Cleeves cycle provides Otto cycle combustion (constant volume combustion) or diesel cycle combustion (constant pressure combustion), depending on operating condition. Additional efficiency improvements can be realized by incorporating variable valve timing, our low-cost variable compression ratio mechanism, direct injection, and turbocharging.
Independently Verified Results
To date, we have over five hundred hours of successful engine testing supporting our performance. FEV, a globally recognized leader in engine development, has independently verified our engine performance. Based on simulations performed by Pinnacle Engines, the test data indicate a 30–50% improvement in drive cycle efficiency, depending on content and application. The resulting low-cost power train system will provide dramatic reductions in fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, effectively meeting existing and projected global tailpipe emissions standards.
Big Gains, Low Costs
By delivering maximum efficiency gains for the lowest cost, Pinnacle Engines effectively breaks the mold when it comes to the two choices normally facing manufacturers and consumers: big improvements for big cost, or small improvements for small cost. Pinnacle Engines’ technology provides critical and substantial improvements in fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions with very little cost increase.
Flexible, Scalable Design
Our easily scalable, inherently fuel-friendly engine architecture demonstrates significant efficiency gains across gasoline, CNG, LPG, and alcohol fuels. Our design will ease the transition to petroleum-displacing fuels (like ethanol) by providing enhanced miles per gallon compared to traditional engines.
Attached Images

barathvajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 13:44   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Pinnacle engines. 30% more efficient

ji

great to see that technology is increasing at a fast pace...

from the picture you have attached, it looks like the engine has two crank shafts. any idea how they couple that into one output?

also it looks like both the opposed cylinders have a common combustion chamber. how is the reaction load taken care of? any idea?

and hey, i have got my i20 crdi delivered last week. do let me know if you are interested in a TD.
wild child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 14:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Setup similar to the Jumo engine. But where does the added efficiency come from?

Any texts on the 'Cleeves' cycle.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 14:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

From the image what I understand is that 1 & 4 will get power strokes simultaneously and similarly for the other strokes (same for 2&5, 3&6)

Am I right? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Please do share some more info on the subject
Attached Images

Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 15:01   #5
BHPian

How is the power going to be distributed in this case? There are 2 crankshafts in there. The engine size is reduce to a suitcase which is what every company wants right now.
knob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 15:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

No whitepapers, no technical information, just marketing bull.

Probably makes a little bit of sense though. You get the extra displacement of a long-stroke motor, without the stroke actually being very long. The dynamic compression ratio will be HUGE, so unless you plan on using some fancy fuel, the extra tech might not be all that useful. Plus you can rev it to high RPMs easily. But I'd still want to see how they plan to implement mechanical timing and combining the output from 2 cranks, though the latter problem should be easily solvable.

Last edited by pranavt : 5th April 2011 at 15:26.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 16:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Combining multiple crank outputs shouldn't be a problem since some motorcycle engines like Ariel Square Four and Suzuki RGV250 have already accomplished this.

There are already some delta Diesel engines out these which uses opposing piston and common combustion chambers, aren't there?

Anyways nice to see new engines being developed before the planet runs out of Dino juice
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 18:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Combining multiple crank outputs shouldn't be a problem since some motorcycle engines like Ariel Square Four and Suzuki RGV250 have already accomplished this.
Please excuse me for my ignorance but will these twin crankshafts be further integrated into one? Or both of them will be in use, one for each wheel?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 20:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Please excuse me for my ignorance but will these twin crankshafts be further integrated into one? Or both of them will be in use, one for each wheel?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
The output of both cranks will be combined using gear-train. This unified output shaft will then drive the vehicle gearbox.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 20:22   #10
BHPian

I really don't see how this can be more efficient than a stright 6 or a straight 4 cylinders for that matter, won't double the crank have more moving parts involved? and to move more parts, requires more energy, then where will that energy come from?
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 15:33   #11
BHPian

Hi friends,

Sorry for the delay in reply. Honestly speaking i do not know how this engine is more efficient than our regular IC engines and as rightly pointed out it seems to have more mechanical losses because of multiple mechanicle parts involved (read twin crank shafts, associated bearing, gears etc).
I got this while info in cnet.com while i was looking for a review for the new audi A8 (dont expect me to buy one. Its just review). then i gooles for it and i got lot of information all providing the similar limited info. Then i found the source website which also provided the same info. I got info from cnet that these guys have got some huge inflow of vitamin M to progress with the development of enngine.

Will be on the look out for more info on the topic and will provide it.

Barath
barathvajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 17:40   #12
BHPian

The 30% extra efficiency can be put down to increased compression ratio (the reason CI (diesel engines) are inherently more efficient than SI (petrol)).

Normally, this design parameter is limited by knocking (fuel quality plays a role here).

Does this design somehow allow for higher compression ratios?

The absence of valves is interesting and boosts efficiency as well (reduced mechanical losses)

Wonder if it really is a viable option or if it just BS.. Guess only time will tell.
'72 Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 08:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

& out of 5 directors two are Indians. (we )

Pinnacle Engines | Leadership
jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 10:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

How is this different from Six stroke version called M4+2 ?
How is this different from the Six Stroke engine covered in ACI a few years back where in there was a small piston above the combustion chamber which eventually gave excellent torque ( which is what practically required in India ) ?

1) IMO, the mechanical losses are very high, but at the same time we get massive compression which can help.
The biggest improvement will be in dynamics considering that the engine can be compact and placed where one can get better dynamics.

2) The negative part of high compression is higher stress and hence tougher build which in turns means higher weight. For example, the K10B available in A-star, Alto, Waggie weights only 47 kg dry which is quite good. What would be the weight of this engine ?

3) Two cranks = more mechanical loss.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote