Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 13th May 2011, 13:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Schumi likely to hang up his boots (again)

A point to prove that it is not the Shumi of old racing is, that for the first time in his career he has apologized straight away for a racing incident! This is when he hit Petrov.

Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 18:31   #47
BHPian

My Faith is still far from fading away.
This is the same guy who moved to Ferrari in 96 after winning 2 chamionships at Benetton. It took him 5 years at Ferrari before he could win a championship.
It is easy to say that he is finished and everyone else is quicker than him including his team mate.
The fact is, he is still in F1, trying his best as always and slogging it out with guys half (almost) his age, while his true fans will support untill he chooses to race.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 23:16   #48
BHPian

When Schumi retired he was considered as a "LEGEND" in motorsport. But after his come back this attribute attached to his name has faded. Probably Schumi made the biggest mistake of his career by coming back to the sport after his retirement. He's treated like a nobody on the track these days, even though i'm not a Schumi and Ferrari fan, its really a sad sight to watch.

Please retire Schumi before they literally sack you.
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 15:43   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
When Schumi retired he was considered as a "LEGEND" in motorsport. But after his come back this attribute attached to his name has faded. Probably Schumi made the biggest mistake of his career by coming back to the sport after his retirement. He's treated like a nobody on the track these days, even though i'm not a Schumi and Ferrari fan, its really a sad sight to watch.

Please retire Schumi before they literally sack you.
Hope people like you stop making Uncharacteristic comments after this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters Interview

Michael Schumacher took issue with his Formula One critics on Thursday with a confident prediction of sunnier times ahead and a return to the podium before the year is out.

"Oh yes," asserted the seven times Formula One world champion, who recognized he had underestimated the challenge facing him when he ended three years of retirement last year to make a comeback with Mercedes.

"I am more than sure to be on the podium this year," he said without a trace of self doubt after his arrival at the Spanish Grand Prix , a race he has won six times before.

Schumacher's last appearance on the podium was with Ferrari in 2006.

The 42-year-old, looking completely at ease as he faced reporters in the team motorhome, clarified comments he made after the Turkish Grand Prix two weeks ago that were interpreted by some as indicating he had fallen out of love with the sport.

"If you saw the whole interview it should have been very clear that this was meant for that race," he said of his remark to BBC television that "the big joy is not there right now."

"Having a car that was capable for fifth and sixth... and not being there, that's obviously not the biggest fun," said the 42-year-old German.

"The mood coming into this race? That's no different than at any other event," he added.

"If you think that anything has changed in myself, no. Certainly not. Again, even doing that race I enjoyed part of that race with all the overtaking and action that I had. But the result certainly I didn't enjoy."

SUN SHINES

Schumacher finished 12th in Istanbul, after qualifying eighth, with a ragged performance that prompted renewed speculation the sport's most successful driver could call it quits at the end of the year.

The German, winner of 91 races in a Formula One career spanning 20 years, said he feels almost flattered by the attention.

"In a way I should probably take this as a compliment... I should be honoured that you guys are still putting so much interest in myself," he said.

"In a way we both live from this. Sports are about emotions and they go up and they go down in certain moments and I am more than certain I will have the upper hand by the end. So I'm not worried.

"Naturally you would prefer not to have unnecessary critics but that's part of our life. I've been through this so often and after every storm the sun always comes out."

Schumacher made clear last year he was coming back to win races and titles and he said that motivation had not changed.

It just might take a little longer than envisaged.

"This is the only thing why I am coming back... we'd rather win today than tomorrow, that's for sure, but then I didn't understand the whole situation as well as I do now," he said.

Source:REUTERS

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 20th May 2011 at 15:47.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 15:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

His current form suggest he is not doing well. Today in testing he was 7th while Rosberg was in the top 3. I am just suggesting he is definitely not quicker than the newer generation and lacks the extra .5 of a second alertness and skill he used to have previously before retirement.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 16:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
His current form suggest he is not doing well. Today in testing he was 7th while Rosberg was in the top 3. I am just suggesting he is definitely not quicker than the newer generation and lacks the extra .5 of a second alertness and skill he used to have previously before retirement.
Testing is not really a pointer towards actual pace. If that was the case, Schumi was only a tenth slower than Vettel ( and faster than everyone else ) in Practise 3 in Turkey. And we all know how the race went. So stop using testing pace to prove a point. We don't know what testing plans and what fuel loads the drivers were on. Most teams don't even push too hard in FP1.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 16:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We don't know what testing plans and what fuel loads the drivers were on. Most teams don't even push too hard in FP1
Agreed if i am comparing his pace with another team. The early timing appears to favor Rosberg and looks like Schumi is unable to get that extra second of pace from the car that Rosberg is able to.
Old 20th May 2011, 16:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed if i am comparing his pace with another team. The early timing appears to favor Rosberg and looks like Schumi is unable to get that extra second of pace from the car that Rosberg is able to.
Check the timings of Rosberg and Schumi in Turkey FP3 or in Malaysia or even FP2 and FP3 in Australia . Schumi was faster than Nico in all those sessions. The problem is not the pace, he is still close or faster than Nico in many sessions. The problem seems to be when putting together a proper qualifying lap in Q2 and Q3. In the first few races, he had an issue with the DRS and finally when he did make it to Q3 in Turkey, he didn't put a proper qualifying lap.

And quali is very important for Merc coz their race pace sucks. And due to Schumi qualifying lower, he is having a lot of problems with others during the race, where qualifying ahead is helping Nico. I agree Nico is doing much better than Schumi but Schumi's results look worse than he is doing due to the above problems. Also, no one complained when he had a great race in China. It is only after the terrible race in Turkey that the knives were out again for him.
Old 20th May 2011, 17:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

@NewPunter

I am just saying he doesnt have time to keep making mistakes and expect everyone to wait for his one peak performance. This GP will decide his future whether he will continue or hang is boots.

He has to show better performance.
Old 20th May 2011, 19:01   #55
BANNED

Quote:
@NewPunter

I am just saying he doesnt have time to keep making mistakes and expect everyone to wait for his one peak performance. This GP will decide his future whether he will continue or hang is boots.

He has to show better performance.
In such cases, Massa, Sutil, Barrichello or anyone below top 4 has to retire ASAP
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 19:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Schumacher refutes retirement talk - The Times of India

But somehow, I am not convinced!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:11   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, Schumacher finished ahead of Nico in the Spanish GP. I guess he is doing pretty well with the machine and support he got!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:34   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Straight from the horse's mouth.

Schumacher refutes retirement talk - The Times of India

But somehow, I am not convinced!
I don't know why or what is so hard to comprehend.

This thread is based on the reports of the "no big joy" interview that Michael gave to the BBC right after the Turkish GP.

And I wrote the following in this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Coming back to the topic, I watched the race in BBC and saw the interview as well. What he said has been twisted out of proportion.

Lee McKenzie asked Schumi about the race and he told this "The big joy is not there right now." I thought he just meant that there are no big points, podiums or wins to look forward to right now. I guess that's all there is.
This weekend, at Catalunya Lee McKenzie asked Michael again about that, Michael insisted that he was referring specifically to his display in Istanbul."It was definitely meant to be [about] the part that that I could have been fifth to sixth [in the race] but I was 12th, so I was disappointed," he said.

Read the full interview here: BBC Sport - I am committed to Formula 1, says Michael Schumacher
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, Schumacher finished ahead of Nico in the Spanish GP. I guess he is doing pretty well with the machine and support he got!
He needs to have a problem free quali for once. He has been having all sorts of problems when it comes to Q2 or Q3, from DRS issues to KERS issues. If not for his bad quali positions, he could have scored more points by now.
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:13   #60
Senior - BHPian

BBC Interviewer: Are you as competitive as you were in Ferrari?
Schumacher: Am I as good as I was at 25? Well, No. I could be better.

He goes on to say that he's probably not as fast, but its not just raw speed thats required and he's got it covered in all other areas.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote