Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 12th July 2011, 13:18   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Steve Slater's blunders during commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I think it was for 5-7 laps where he and Gary Anderson both mistook Nico Rosberg and Kamui Kobayashi having a tussle, when it was infact Kobayashi's teammate Perez who was trying to overtake Rosberg. One look at the charts would have shown that Kobayashi was 2-3 places ahead, having his own race. Good heavens, what were they smoking? Mistaking a driver for a single corner is acceptable. It gets frustrating after half a lap. They kept going on and on.
Best part is Steve Slater went on and on about Kobayashi and I was waiting for Gary to correct him. Then he comes on and says, wow what car control from Kobayashi blah blah...

Then later in the race Steve Slater says..Kobayashi's teammate is now having a crack at Rosberg! It was a battle that had been going on all race long!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think the same chaps are on aunty as well. One has to make a proviso that they are talking extempore, with a lot of excitement. So some slips are but natural, and we should take them in the right spirit.
Agreed. But other commentators are speaking extempore too. I have never witnessed so many slips (with such consistency) from any other sport broadcast - cricket, IRL, football, you name it - or even from BBC F1 for that matter.

I can understand making mistakes with car numbers. But visual differences are easy because drivers wear different helmets! In case of Kobayashi and Perez, KK's is white and red while SP's is green! How bad does one's eyesight have to be to keep making that mistake over and over again.

And even if the helmet is difficult to spot (which it is not!) the lead driver in a team has a RED camera and the 2nd driver has the YELLOW camera on his car. It has been like that for many many years now so there is no excuse for Slater and Anderson to bungle so much.
good.car-ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 16:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

What ever it is, I like Steve's commentary a lot.

OT - by the way ESPN HD is on the way. Will be get a chance to watch F1 in full HD?

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 20:11   #63
Senior - BHPian

Yea, or atleast parts of it. The rest of the time will be wasted in showing advertising in high definition.

BBC gets the HD feed anyways.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 09:59   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Yea, or atleast parts of it. The rest of the time will be wasted in showing advertising in high definition.

BBC gets the HD feed anyways.
HD channels dont have ads (atleast so far).
good.car-ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 15:02   #65

wow, i am impressed people had already started a thread for SS blunder's, ever since i started watching F1 in Star sports, SS is always making mistakes with cars, drivers and pathetic pitstop strategies, earlier chris goodwin was there to correct him, now a days with experience he is making too many mistakes.

earlier he used to do mouth piece marketing for Ferrari / MS combo, in a way it was ok that both of them were winning. now a days he is doing his marketing stuff on undeserving f1 drivers (for ex: the toro rosso drivers and a few more). F1 now a days is best watched with volume muted and with a laptop connecting to F1.com for race data.

P.S no offense to SS fans and followers, its my point of view and i cant tolerate his way of commentry
grkannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 11:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

Over the 6 years since I have been watching F1, SS commentary has progressively worsened. You have to watch a race from BBC feed (torrent or otherwise) to know how had he is. The biggest by far has to be the one the thread started has already stated - Canada 2011. Calling Maldonado as Rosberg who left the team like 2 seasons ago!! Why is this guy still there???

And of course, the numerous times this guy has started to create a drama of something happening to the race leader 6-7 laps from the end who is in fact so far ahead that he is actually slowing down to save machinery. Every time I hear him doing that I find myself screaming to myself - "Shut the **** up!"

What an idiot!!

PS: I hope I haven't broken any rules here. I needed to vent out.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 12:26   #67
BHPian

Personally I hate the way he lavishes praise on Vettel all the time and bashes Hamilton. Gary, more often than not has a much more knowledgeable view on drivers, incidents and cars. I think even Paula is more objective than Slater (Just kidding). But, you know, Steve has become more like a habit now and although it is silly, I cannot imagine watching a race start without Steve yelling...."the five red lights go off and the Belgian GP is GO"!
skjlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 14:05   #68
BHPian

Did Anyone watch the Qualifying round of the Brazilian GP 2011?

Steve Slater once again cocked up after he mistook Maldonado for Barrichello and then smoothed his way out of it! It was EPIC! I was Laughing my *** off!
esoticoreventon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 11:05   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
Did Anyone watch the Qualifying round of the Brazilian GP 2011?

Steve Slater once again cocked up after he mistook Maldonado for Barrichello and then smoothed his way out of it! It was EPIC! I was Laughing my *** off!
I didn't watch qualifying but not unusual for him to screw-up.

From the race -

- He believed Button was going for a 2 stopper when Button switched to the Medium tyres on lap 31 of the race. That's more than half the race distance on a single set of tyres. I, for one, never believed that Mclaren would do such a thing.
- Believed that MS should have been penalized for the clash with Senna. Why?? Fortunately stewards agreed with me. Anyway, race destroyed for both of them.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 13:46   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I didn't watch qualifying but not unusual for him to screw-up.

From the race -

- He believed Button was going for a 2 stopper when Button switched to the Medium tyres on lap 31 of the race. That's more than half the race distance on a single set of tyres. I, for one, never believed that Mclaren would do such a thing.
- Believed that MS should have been penalized for the clash with Senna. Why?? Fortunately stewards agreed with me. Anyway, race destroyed for both of them.
Actually the Schumacher incident was more due to Gary Anderson insisting it was MS's fault, when it quite clearly wasnt. Slater, who normally doesnt have a proper opinion when it comes to all things motorsport anyway, just decided to support him since he's so clueless.

Apart from the obvious mistakes he makes while spotting drivers, I dont remember the last time he's got a drivers strategy right. If you have a look at the BBC commentary, Brundle is correct at predicting strategy, and is also reasonably accurate at predicting who ends up where after a round of pitstops. (which is not hard to do if you're following live timing anyway)

But, our lovable Steve, is always shocked out of his wits when he sees drivers coming out of their pitstops. "Oh ! How did that happen ? "
PuntoMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 22:14   #71
BHPian

Smile Re: Steve Slater's blunders during commentary

I started watching Formula One back in 1993 on Star Sports. In those days the channel was known as Prime Sports. The commentary team then comprised of race driver Allan McNish and Andy Smith (hope I got the name right) which I felt was the best ever team on Prime/Star Sports. Jonathan Green in the studio was one of the best presenters.

Steve Slater is OK but again like many people pointed out, he speaks when the team radio audio is on, mixes the names of drivers etc etc. The most irritating commentary blunder he made was during the Monaco Grand Prix (not sure which year). He kept on repeating that a F1 driver changes gears 3000 times per lap around Monaco! Chris Goodwin then corrected him later on stating that it was around 3000 gears changes for the entire race!

But again, commentating is a difficult job and you cannot expect one to be right all the time. Even the legend Murray Walker had his own Murrayisms which still bring a smile on anyone who reads them.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2011, 23:29   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
I started watching Formula One back in 1993 on Star Sports. In those days the channel was known as Prime Sports. The commentary team then comprised of race driver Allan McNish and Andy Smith (hope I got the name right) which I felt was the best ever team on Prime/Star Sports. Jonathan Green in the studio was one of the best presenters.
It cant be Allan McNish. He would have been ridiculously young to be doing TV Commentary at that time.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:40   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It cant be Allan McNish. He would have been ridiculously young to be doing TV Commentary at that time.
Last week, I happened to find a video cassette (yes the good old VHS!) tape having the highlights of the 1994 Formula One season that I had recorded on my VCR. I have a functional National VCR on which I played the tape. I can confirm that it was indeed Allan McNish and Andy Smith doing the commentary with Jonathan Green as the studio presenter on Prime Sports in those days. Allan McNish was very young and used to race in Formula 3000 along with doing commentary on Prime Sports during that period.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 23:01   #74
BHPian

Given the article here : Edwards, Anderson join BBC team | Planet F1 | Formula One News, it looks like Gary's not going to be around to correct Steve any more ...
FourWheelDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 11:41   #75
BHPian

Guys looks like we did not revive this thread. How about complaining to ESPN about this? That guy is downright rubbish.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote