Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 8th April 2012, 13:40   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Steve Slater's blunders during commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Last week, I happened to find a video cassette (yes the good old VHS!) tape having the highlights of the 1994 Formula One season that I had recorded on my VCR. I have a functional National VCR on which I played the tape. I can confirm that it was indeed Allan McNish and Andy Smith doing the commentary with Jonathan Green as the studio presenter on Prime Sports in those days. Allan McNish was very young and used to race in Formula 3000 along with doing commentary on Prime Sports during that period.
Yup, I've been watching F1 since the last couple of races in 93 and full seasons from 1994. It was indeed Allan McNish and Andy Smith commentating with Jonathan Green as the studio anchor. Overall a better show for enthusiasts. I've dis-liked Steve Slater's commentary ever since he started and has become progressively worse.

Living abroad during the past few years, i've been watching races mostly online with excellent BBC F1 coverage and now that i'm back in India the F1 coverage seems like a step back into a prehistoric era.

The folks who haven't experienced the excellent BBC coverage wont know what they are missing.

Last edited by gomzi : 8th April 2012 at 13:42.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 07:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

And Slater's idiotic commentary continues. Incident's from yesterday:

- Maldonado overtakes Di Reista (not shown on coverage). Di Riesta fights back and SS was like "Di Riesta is challenging Maldonado for the position. I think he would be able to pull it off next time around". Idiot!

- Alonso challenging Senna through turns 5 to 7 (i think). Senna has the racing line. Alonso goes off the racing line and off the track. SS: "Alonso in trouble. Alonso in trouble. Problem with the car?". Doesn't he pay any attention to the TV monitor in front of him? Idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Living abroad during the past few years, i've been watching races mostly online with excellent BBC F1 coverage and now that i'm back in India the F1 coverage seems like a step back into a prehistoric era.
Couldn't agree more. I have watched some races covered by BBC and they were excellent (at least when compared to SS).
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 08:18   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
And Slater's idiotic commentary continues
It was quite hilarious, as well as irritating Ė the way Slater was going on with his errors, and Chandok correcting on every second statement.
I feel he should stop doing live commentary, and stick to pre-post match reporting / analysis. Donít think any other profession will allow such continuous inaccuracies to go on and on.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 09:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone notice Paula mistaking Alonso for Massa while looking at his picture on the backdrop

Man, both should be fired! I am happy that she is kept at the studio!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 09:39   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope Karun is being paid twice the normal amount, given that most of the times he is just trying to correct Steve's mistakes without ticking him off.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 10:39   #81
BHPian

Yeah. He again mistook the Williams of Maldonado for the Sauber of Perez.

There is something about the Williams paint scheme that Slater just doesnt seem to get

On a side note :

Does anyone else think Chandhok's commentary was absolutely brilliant this weekend and in general ?

I absolutely loved his commentary during Nico Rosberg's flawless pole lap at China. That lap + KC's superb commentary gave me the goosebumps. I think Karun can give the best in the world a run for their money in the box.

Also, during the race he was able to get all the strategies spot on which is a real relief. He was able to correctly guess the amount of time Button needed to make up to challenge Rosberg and was bang on for almost everyone else's strategy as well.

I hope he isnt leaving anytime soon !

Last edited by PuntoMania : 16th April 2012 at 10:49.
PuntoMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 11:57   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
Does anyone else think Chandhok's commentary was absolutely brilliant this weekend and in general ?

I absolutely loved his commentary during Nico Rosberg's flawless pole lap at China. That lap + KC's superb commentary gave me the goosebumps. I think Karun can give the best in the world a run for their money in the box.

Also, during the race he was able to get all the strategies spot on which is a real relief. He was able to correctly guess the amount of time Button needed to make up to challenge Rosberg and was bang on for almost everyone else's strategy as well.

I hope he isnt leaving anytime soon !

So totally agree with you! He's turning out to be a real good commentator compared to Steve Slater.
a*ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 12:08   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
Actually now that you mention it - Yes. He was quite good with the predictions. But I wouldn't call it brilliant. I would call it normal (if I compare it to BBC feed). It's Slater's stupidity that makes it look brilliant.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 12:12   #84
BHPian

That steve slater is turning losing his mojo - is a fact. Undisputed.

Karun obviously comes with experience of racing with an F1 team and obviously can read into things FAR better than Steve.

But still - looking back its awesome - he called it right about Rosberg's lap being unbeatable while there was still some time left in Q3 and then the race itself, he was spot on about the way strategies would play out, tyre wear etc.

Unfortunately I don't think he is looking forward to sharing the voice with a dolt on star sports.
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 12:19   #85
Senior - BHPian

A brilliant race was marred by Steve Slater's blunders in commentary. Sometimes I feel it is better to watch the race on mute.

I was hoping he would improve from race to race, but he is getting worse.
He exaggerates every single fault and every single moment of good driving.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 12:21   #86
BHPian

In the Malaysian GP, may favorite Slaterism, with just 3 laps to go.

"Alonso is firmly in the driver's seat".

I was like "Dude..."
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 12:31   #87
mgh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
"Alonso is firmly in the driver's seat".
IPL commentary with ex-players is even worse.
I would call that statement genuinely brilliant, compared to the Siddhuisms
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 12:59   #88
Senior - BHPian

yesterdays race had another SS gem- MS retirement incident, he states- Front right wheel problem, yes...you can clearly see the front right wobbling"- next shot and one can clearly see that there was no wobble! he then says" well you cant see the wobble but i have inputs from reliable sources in the pit that it is front right wheel wobble"!!!!!!!!!!
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 10:36   #89
BHPian

Well, well, so what about the multiple errors we saw at Barcelona by all 3 commentators ?

It looks like we are now on the cusp of history. We have 2 Slaters instead of one ! Now that KC is not with us anymore, the last remaining sensible voice has left the Star Sports team. Who was that moron with Slater on the weekend ? I think Slater has found his match.

Some of the errors this weekend were absolutely stunning !

1. During qualifying Q3, Vettel came out for what was clearly a single outlap without a timed lap to save his tyres. Slater and Co exclaim "Are Red Bull testing their car in Q3 ? Yes they are ! This is brilliant ! They are checking different settings on the car before they do a timed lap " At this point I was almost about to mute, when I heard another piece of horror by both Slater and the unknown moron (sorry I didnt bother to listen to his name even once). "Look ! It looks like the Red Bull suspension is higher ! Look at the rear of that car, they have fiddled with the set up"

Nothing beats this piece of absolutely dumb commentary in the past few years. Nothing.

2. During the race, Hamilton makes his way to 4th clearly because he hasnt pitted while the rest of the grid has. But the 3 stooges think Hamilton has already pitted and come out in 4th place and think this is the best drive ever. When LewHam finally does pit and come out in 11th place, Slater is stunned as usual. He mistook Button's pitstop as Hamiltons earlier

3. The classic "you can see his head banging against the car now, he is so tired" had to be replayed during the race. This time the victim was Vettel. While we could see Vettel was looking pretty comfortable from the onboard shots, Slater and the unnamed moron proceeded to give us the most cliched Slaterism of all time. Again. "Vettel is looking tired, his head his resting against the side of the car !"

The pre and post race analysis with Paula "whats that drivers name" Ali and Alex "I couldnt drive for nuts" Yoong is the final nail in the viewer's coffin.

Someone please save us from this nonsense.
PuntoMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 14:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Yup, I've been watching F1 since the last couple of races in 93 and full seasons from 1994. It was indeed Allan McNish and Andy Smith commentating with Jonathan Green as the studio anchor.
I think during the early days of Star Sports in India we had Jonathan Green in the studio and Murray Walker for the live commentary for F1, if my memory serves me right. Though Walker was quite excitable, him and Green were miles better than Slater.

JG still does live commentary for the World Superbikes Series. Have very fond memories of him during the famous Foggy era when I used root for a crazy Italian called Pierfrancesco Chili.
codelust is offline   Reply With Quote