Circuit Name: Buddh International Circuit – Greater Noida, India
Length: 5.14 km
Turns: 16
Highest point of elevation: 14m
Width of the track: Between 18m - 20m
Top speeds on the circuit: About 320 km/hr
Total seating capacity: About 150,000

Circuit location from Google Earth

NOTE: Click on picture to open a larger higher-resolution version in a new window.
2011 Formula 1 Airtel Grand Prix Of India-map.jpg

Time Table

2011 Formula 1 Airtel Grand Prix Of India-timetable.png

The circuit has been designed by renowned German architect and racetrack designer, Herman Tilke. The track's combination of straights, corners and elevation changes has been designed to allow high speeds and provide opportunities for overtaking, the perfect ingredients to make motor racing exciting.

Pirelli, the official tyre supplier to the FIA Formula One World Championship, will be providing Teams with the soft tyre which will be used as the prime compound along with the hard tyre as the option. With initial impressions suggesting that the asphalt at the brand-new Buddh circuit is quite abrasive and with high ambient temperatures expected, Pirelli hope the choice will cater for every eventuality and strategy.

With a long straight about 1.2Kms followed by sharp bends and multi apex turns it will be tricky for teams to setup the car for maximum down force and minimum drag.

Hope we all will enjoy a spectacular eventful race.
myavu is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 10:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: 2011 Formula 1 Airtel Grand Prix Of India

So who will claim the pole for the maiden Indian F1 Grand Prix.

My take

1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Webber

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 11:42   #3
BHPian

Default Grand Prix India - Secret revealed

"MercedesGP plans with an aggressive development programme for the new season. The silver arrows have a special ACE up its sleeve. As "Auto, motor und sport" on his site reports, the Swabia open the F-slot in the front wing, which is an ingenious technology trick."

This is the excrept from the following article(in German):

Grand Prix Indien - Geheimnis gelüftet: Pfiffiger Frontflügel - Yahoo! Eurosport

The next project is a F-Duct in the front wing, which was already secretly tested by Suzuka's training. Normally, the oval opening at the tip of the nose is covered. In the first training in Japan the intake was not closed, making the air in the right and left part of the front wing flow.

"Miracle" or hot air?

The driver must operate the system manually. The air under the front wing which flows to the underbody is reassured by the trick and help to boost downforce. The advantage is a higher top speed on the line. Allegedly, the excess of the speed should be at 5 to 8 kmph.

Because the technique is difficult to get is in the grip, the knowledge of Mercedes could be a decisive advantage for the coming year. "If you start now, is late already", said McLaren team boss Martin Whitmarsh in terms of the new "miracle".

from Autosport:

Mercedes is experimenting with an innovative front wing that uses the F-duct concept to boost downforce.

The airflow entering the slot on the front of the nose is, under certain air pressure conditions, diverted through channels in the front wing assembly and then redirected out of slots in the bottom of the main plane.

This airflow is fed to the diffuser, boosting the downforce generated at the rear of the car. This has also improved the way that the Mercedes uses its rear tyres.

While the F-duct, which required the driver to cover a hole in the cockpit with his hand, arm or leg, has been outlawed, the Mercedes design is legal as it does not depend on any such direct influence.
Attached Images

Last edited by Suess : 20th October 2011 at 11:43.
Suess is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 12:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2011 Formula 1 Airtel Grand Prix Of India

Hamm-Ill-tonne!
Hamm-Ill-tonne!

My fervent hope is to cheer a McL to the finish in the lead.
Also, I wish that the 2011 IGP is what people will recall as where the stranglehold of the redbull was shattered.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 12:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: 2011 Formula 1 Airtel Grand Prix Of India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Also, I wish that the 2011 IGP is what people will recall as where the stranglehold of the redbull was shattered.
Me too wish if Redbull was fighting hard for anything less than 5th position. But RB is a strong technical package with superb down force without compromising straight line speed. I dream MS winning the race (with current car he need a lottery to do so)

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 20th October 2011, 13:46   #6
BHPian

Getting excited and nervous out here. Hope it all works out well and a superb race to remember. Go India !!
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 14:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone suggest various options to reach the Circuit say from Airport / New Delhi ?
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 14:13   #8
BHPian

Does one need F1 ticket to attend autograph session on Thursday? I want as many autographs as possible and I still have not decided if it is worth paying thousands of bucks to attend the race.
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 14:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Apart from Formula 1 , are they planning to use this track as MotoGP track also ?

PS: Are MOTOGp and Formula 1 tracks different in rest of the world ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 15:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: 2011 Formula 1 Airtel Grand Prix Of India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can anyone suggest various options to reach the Circuit say from Airport / New Delhi ?
BIC circuit is around 65 KMs away from IGI Airport.

You can book a Cab

For booking
* Meru Cabs: contact them on +91 11 44224422 or Meru Cabs | Book a taxi online for Mumbai, Bangalore, New Delhi, Hyderabad in India
* Easy Cabs: contact them on +91 11 43434343 or Easy Cabs- Cab Service,Book a Cab,Online Cab Booking,Radio Taxi Cab
* Mega Cabs: contact them on +91 11 41414141 or Mega Cabs
* Wyn Cab: contact them on +91 11 48000000 or Cabs Delhi-WynCabs-Taxi Service-Radio Cab-Airport Taxi Delhi-Mega WynCabs: Wyncabs

If you had opted for BIC Bus pick-up then Metro is the best option. Take Airport Metro to New Delhi Railway station. Then interchange to Yellow Line (Towards HUDA City Centre) Metro

Option 1 - Interchange at Rajiv Chowk Metro Station (next station from New Delhi railway station) to Metro going towards to NOIDA City Centre Metro Station. Catch BIC Bus from NOIDA City Centre Metro Station

Option 2 - Interchange at Central Secretariat (third station from New Delhi railway station) to Metro going towards to Badarpur Metro Station. Get down at Nehru Place Metro Station and catch BIC Bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Apart from Formula 1 , are they planning to use this track as MotoGP track also ?

PS: Are MOTOGp and Formula 1 tracks different in rest of the world ?
Yes they are in talk with MotGp and SBK.

Few tracks are shared by both MotoGP and F1. e.g. Monza.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 20th October 2011, 15:36   #11
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: 2011 Formula 1 Airtel Grand Prix Of India

News just in. Jaypee group have started releasing tickets for raceday only at special reduced prices.

Indian F1 GP tickets at reduced rates - Rediff.com Sports
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 16:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post

Time Table

Attachment 829462

Any more information about the Drivers Autograph session on 27th would be highly appreciated.
Can anybody show up at the track for this or we need invites?
vagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 15:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Post India preview quotes: Mercedes

India preview quotes: Mercedes

Michael Schumacher: "For the next race, we are heading to India for the first time; a country which a lot of people tell me is fascinating. I'm looking forward to experiencing this new culture and seeing the track for the first time. I am sure we will be impressed with what has been done there. There has been a lot of interest in the build-up to the event, and therefore hopefully we will entertain a lot of new fans in India. I've always been happy to welcome new tracks on the calendar and enjoy the challenge of adapting to them. The outcome of the last race in Korea was unlucky for us, therefore I am extra-motivated to score some points next weekend, and reward the good work of the team."

Nico Rosberg: "This will be my first visit to India, and it will be very exciting for me to discover the new culture. I am planning to spend a few days in the country and looking forward to doing some sightseeing, particularly making a visit to the Taj Mahal. I hope the first race in India will be a great show for all motorsport fans there, and a big success. I enjoy going to new tracks for the first time as I tend to learn them quickly, and it will be very interesting to set the car up as there will be so many unknown points. I hope to be able to fight in amongst the top six cars again, like during the last race in Korea, but this time hopefully I will be able to stay ahead of one of them until the end of the race."

Ross Brawn, Team Principal: "The Indian Grand Prix will be a new adventure for Formula One, and we are all looking forward to experiencing the country and the Buddh International Circuit for the first time next week. A tremendous amount of work has gone into the new venue and the preparations for this inaugural event, and the interest in India seems to be growing daily. In the second most populous country in the world, this can only be good for Formula One as we continue to expand our fan base by taking the sport to new markets The circuit itself looks to be an interesting challenge and we have been preparing back at the factory with circuit maps, simulations and models. You can do a great deal of work beforehand but nothing replicates the feedback from the drivers on their first laps out on the new circuit on Friday. With just three races remaining, we will be aiming to finish the season on a high and pushing hard to score good points at each one."

Norbert Haug, Vice-President, Mercedes-Benz Motorsport: "MERCEDES GP PETRONAS is pleased and proud to be part of Formula One's visit to India and its inaugural Grand Prix at the Buddh International Circuit. India is a country with a rich cultural heritage which is admired and respected across the world, and it is also a country of the future: there is a vibrant, growing economy and, for Mercedes-Benz, a rapidly accelerating market for our cars. The Buddh International Circuit promises to deliver the excellent facilities we are used to at the most modern Formula One venues. It presents a complete challenge to the cars with a range of faster and slower corners, as well as long straights that may make the compromise between downforce and straightline speed delicate to find. On the operational side, a new circuit levels the playing field somewhat between the teams and all of us must start from zero; however, it does provide an opportunity for our race team's operational excellence to pay dividends. We saw some signs of promising potential in the early stages of the last race in Korea, although this did not ultimately translate into the final results. But we will be aiming to build on this potential in India, and our team will keep pushing at every race this year to extract the maximum from our current technical package."

Source: India preview quotes: Mercedes - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 21st October 2011, 16:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Post India preview quotes: McLaren

India preview quotes: McLaren

Lewis Hamilton

Q. Have you been to India before?

"Yeah, I've been a few times before - we've done a few Vodafone promotional days there. The last time was just crazy – just after Singapore, we did a demo run in Bangalore and were expecting 5,000 people to turn up. On the day, there were around 40,000 fans – it was just incredible."

Q. Do you think India is looking forward to Formula 1?

"You can't believe how many people are aware of Formula 1 and how many are looking forward to the race next week. There's already a great deal of knowledge about the sport – I think it's going to be a big deal.

"India's a sport-mad nation – mostly, it's about cricket, which is understandable because they're a very successful cricketing country, but I really think the people of India are going to take Formula 1 to their hearts. The reception we've had in the last few years has been greater than I could ever have predicted and I think the whole country is ready for something new and something exciting.

"I really hope India will get turned on to Formula 1 in a big way – it would be amazing to have an entire continent supporting you – and I really hope we can put on a fantastic race!"

Q. Do you think Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will be competitive next weekend?

"It's too early to say, but I think we're set to be competitive at all of the final three races. We were quick at Singapore, Japan and Korea – and I think the pattern at the front has sort of settled down now as we reach the end of the season. I think we have a car that can be quick anywhere, so I'd like to think we'd be in the hunt again next weekend."

Jenson Button

Q. What challenges do you face when learning a brand new track?

"The first time you run on a new circuit is a strange experience because you're piecing together an incredibly diverse and vivid set of data in your mind. That's quite an intense experience.

"You're quickly gathering everything together – constantly assessing the grip-level, watching for unexpected bumps, checking the kerb-height, run-off areas, pitlane entry and exit, gradient. And that all happens at about 170mph!"

Q. What are your first impressions of the Buddh International Circuit?

"Well, I can't really say properly until I've driven it. But the track itself has quite a nice mix of corners – the start of the lap is pretty stop-start, there are a couple of long straights mixed with tight hairpins, but it's the end of the lap that's more interesting: there are some pretty high-speed changes of direction through the esses and some gradient change.

"One of the things that looks really interesting is the double-apex banked corner at the back of the circuit – that's pretty unusual. It's sort of a mix between Turn 13 at China and Korea's Turn 11.

Q. Are you looking forward to the race?

"I always look forward to the next grand prix. The word is that people in India are really excited about Formula 1 and the event – it's important for the sport that we make a good first impression and I really hope we have a fantastic race. Our car's been pretty competitive recently and we'd like to win more races before the end of the season."

Martin Whitmarsh - Team principal, Vodafone McLaren Mercedes

Q.How important is the Indian Grand Prix for the sport of Formula 1?

"Certainly, every new venue we visit is important to the sport of Formula 1 and to our partners, many of whom have a considerable presence in India, and who are delighted by the prospect of the inaugural Indian Grand Prix.

"I think it's important that the world championship is fully represented on the world's stage – and a grand prix in India is certainly a very positive step. For Formula 1, the most important thing is to educate, nurture and cultivate our audience – I firmly believe that Formula 1 is the greatest sport in the world and I want us to spread that word across the whole Indian subcontinent.

"Secondly, we want to take Formula 1 to the people. I know that our partners such as Vodafone are already very actively engaged in this activity in India, but I think we've done the right thing by establishing the circuit close to New Delhi. Initial impressions suggest the track will be a good one, with particular regard paid to close and exciting racing. And I'm also told that the prospect of the grand prix is causing a great deal of excitement within the city and the country as a whole.

"So I think we're doing everything right – and I sincerely hope we can walk away on Sunday evening having done a great job for the country and for Formula 1."

What is the atmosphere like within the team now that both world championships have been settled? "There's not been a great distinction: we go racing to win, and, as I've said before, that's the firm intention we take with us to all remaining races on the calendar. We've made some good progress recently with the 2011 car and we feel we have a car that can challenge for victory at all the remaining grands prix.

"While we're winding down the development of the 26 and ramping up development of MP4-27, we still have a few more opportunities to track-test components and developments that can be carried over to next year.

"And we take plenty of positives away from the last two races: I think Jenson's win in Japan and Lewis's drive in Korea were two of the best performances of their respective careers. Both drivers are motivated to win and want to lead the team through these final few races and into the winter. There's a lot of positive energy back at MTC, and you're seeing that at the racetrack, too."

Source: India preview quotes: McLaren - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 21st October 2011, 16:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Post India preview quotes: Sauber

India preview quotes: Sauber

Kamui Kobayashi: "It will be my first time in India and I'm very curios to discover a bit about the country. Everybody is telling us to be careful with the food. In a way I'm a bit worried about my stomach, but at the same time butter chicken curry is my favourite food and I would love to have it where it comes from. Obviously I don't know the track yet. Maybe I will walk it, although generally I don't regard track walking as being really very useful. The speed you have when you are on the circuit with the F1 car is so different it changes everything. I certainly want to get a good result for the team, as well as for myself at the inaugural Indian Grand Prix. I also hope there will be huge interest from the people, as this is always a crucial question for debut races, and excited fans do create a good atmosphere."

Sergio Perez
: "I am looking forward to this new track in India. It is another unknown circuit for me, but this time it will be new for everybody, so it won't only be me who has to start from zero. On Monday before the race I will actually get to know a bit more about the circuit when I will be testing in the Ferrari simulator. I think the first Indian Grand Prix will be a very exciting event. I have some Indian friends and they keep telling me how emotional everybody is there about it. In any case, it is my goal to make the most out of that race weekend and score points again."

James Key, Technical Director
: "After our performance in Korea was clearly below our own expectations, we analysed all the data carefully and came to the conclusion that we underestimated the limitation on the front axle and front tyres. As a result we suffered from too much understeer, which resulted in over loading the front tyres. Concerning the Grand Prix in India, we are obviously very much looking forward to going to a new venue in a country which is new to Formula One. Obviously the track itself is fairly much unknown to everyone, apart from using the simulation, and the other preparation work you can do with the information you have. You never really know what to expect until you are there. Like Korea last year, at a brand new track we expect that things like the evolution of grip will be quite significant over the weekend. This will influence the balance of the car, and you will possibly have to change the downforce level. The track itself looks pretty interesting, as it has one long straight and a fairly high downforce requirement in some of the winding bits at the back. The track is not unlike other new circuits. There seem to be some overtaking opportunities, but the drivers need to learn where that works and how effective the DRS is. The downforce level is most likely similar to recent events. We will have the soft and the hard tyre compound there. It's quite some time since we ran the hard compound, so we'll have to see how that goes. A lot depends on track temperatures, but given the nature of the track with several highly loaded corners, it could be that the hard tyre will warm up okay and last. Maybe the soft will struggle, but you never really know until you're there. On the car we will have some small modifications to the rear wings and some small updates on the front wing."

Source: India preview quotes: Sauber - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Cheers!

Vinu