Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 10:41   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
PlatzdaTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,304
Thanked: 314 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Nothing is confirmed he says but heartening stuff nonetheless. Eccentric and weird he might be but i like the flying finn. Was taken aback when he suddenly quit F1 2 seasons ago and thought he might never return but will be happy if he does.
To me he was always like a bomb waiting to explode & as good as any f1 driver out there. Tremendous potential though i feel we never got to see his 100%.
Hope we see a fresh beginning and a more consistent Kimi.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 6th November 2011 at 10:43.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 12:18   #17
BHPian
 
aditya116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: calicut
Posts: 314
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

couldnt help but post a video of king of spa in 2005 when perhaps he was at his peak and had the fastest albeit fragile machine at his disposal.
aditya116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 20:54   #18
BHPian
 
iceman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 700
Thanked: 254 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

...And the rumours keep getting stronger...

McLaren and Ferrari urge Sir Frank Williams to sign Kimi Raikkonen | Williams | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Raikkonen’s managers in Abu Dhabi with Williams

Whitmarsh backs Williams' Raikkonen bid | F1 News | Nov 2011 | Crash.Net

F1 teams eye Kimi return
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 19:16   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,134
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Here's a short video of his maiden F1 test for Sauber

Kimi Räikkönen
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 22:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,676 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Why are we all getting worked up?I dont think he can prove anything sitting in a Williams. Even Force India gave them a good trashing this year.

How much could MS do with a Brawn(y)Merc?

Now if Vijay Mallya decides to pick him up, that would be something, would'nt it?

Last edited by Mpower : 17th November 2011 at 23:34.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 23:15   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,233
Thanked: 1,221 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

^^ The brain or the lucky stone that got Williams to wherever they are now has moved on and is safely with Mclaren! Add Rubens to their crisis and their situation looks far worse.

I hope to see them get better with time, even if they dont sign Kimi I personally hate to see such a great team to be running as low as they are now!
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 11:04   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Sometimes I wonder whether F1 is becoming a fast Dad's Army'. Even MS is realising that it might not have been such a good idea to return.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 11:44   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,134
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Why are we all getting worked up?I dont think he can prove anything sitting in a Williams. Even Force India gave them a good trashing this year.

How much could MS do with a Brawn(y)Merc?

Now if Vijay Mallya decides to pick him up, that would be something, would'nt it?
For one Kimi is a world champion from not too long ago. He's still about 10 yrs younger to MS so if he could do it surely Kimi would be upto speed sooner than later. Not to forget, he has done that before. From the youtube link above, he made the fastest journey from lower series to F1 and was nabbed by Mclaren after the very 1st year.

As far as I am concerned, I would prefer for Kimi to return in a Williams, as I support that team. If it wasn't the Williams, then I would prefer it to be in a Sauber or STR or Lotus Renault (among the mid-field teams) rather than a Force India. For me that team is Mallya's hobby which he is trying to sell in India by name it that way. It's about as Indian as JLR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
^^ The brain or the lucky stone that got Williams to wherever they are now has moved on and is safely with Mclaren! Add Rubens to their crisis and their situation looks far worse.
I guess you meant Adrian Newey - who has been with RBR since 2006 season. I don't think you can put all the success on one guy. Williams had already won champions in 1980s when he joined the team. Patrick Head was known to be a brilliant engineer then and was equally responsible for there domination in the 90s. Unfortunately, they couldn't find a equally brilliant successor to him, not to mention the costs which have shot up astronomically in the past decade. I hope the old association from 1990s (with Renault) can boost their morale for the next season. Kimi would be a big big morale booster for any of the mid to back of the grid teams.

Rubens is a good 2nd driver who could sometimes match MS or Button in their championship winning years but he cannot be blamed for their miseries. I hope their recent shuffle helps them next year.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 11:48   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,233
Thanked: 1,221 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
I guess you meant Adrian Newey - who has been with RBR since 2006 season. I don't think you can put all the success on one guy. Williams had already won champions in 1980s when he joined the team. Patrick Head was known to be a brilliant engineer then and was equally responsible for there domination in the 90s. Unfortunately, they couldn't find a equally brilliant successor to him, not to mention the costs which have shot up astronomically in the past decade. I hope the old association from 1990s (with Renault) can boost their morale for the next season. Kimi would be a big big morale booster for any of the mid to back of the grid teams.

Rubens is a good 2nd driver who could sometimes match MS or Button in their championship winning years but he cannot be blamed for their miseries. I hope their recent shuffle helps them next year.
Everyone knows what Newey can do!

I was talking about Sam Michael. IMO, he is one of the highly overrated big boys in F1
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 11:59   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,134
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Everyone knows what Newey can do!

I was talking about Sam Michael. IMO, he is one of the highly overrated big boys in F1
Oh! my bad. I hope it was Sam Michael. On the other hand if SM turns to be a success at Mclaren and Williams continues to struggle, I will begin to wonder what goes on at Williams.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 15:40   #26
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 916
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

It would obviously be a good thing if Kimi comes back, and i am excited at the prospect of seeing him taking his car to places it doesn't deserve. He has it in him to contribute for another 3-4 years easily and may be even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Sometimes I wonder whether F1 is becoming a fast Dad's Army'. Even MS is realising that it might not have been such a good idea to return.
I wouldn't be fair to put Kimi in Dad's army. He is just 32 years old and isn't even a dad in real sense. We had Damon hill earlier who made his F1 debut after he was 30. Kimi has been active at other forms of racing in last 2 years so it would be easier for him to come back to F1 unlike MS who was sitting idle at Ferrari pit wall.
SilentEngine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 18:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,676 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

I guess love is blind.

I'm sure he will be up to speed in no time. But that speed in a Williams is only good for 12 or 15th place as things stand. He cannot do magic if the car is slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
For one Kimi is a world champion from not too long ago. He's still about 10 yrs younger to MS so if he could do it surely Kimi would be upto speed sooner than later. Not to forget, he has done that before. From the youtube link above, he made the fastest journey from lower series to F1 and was nabbed by Mclaren after the very 1st year.

As far as I am concerned, I would prefer for Kimi to return in a Williams, as I support that team. If it wasn't the Williams, then I would prefer it to be in a Sauber or STR or Lotus Renault (among the mid-field teams) rather than a Force India. For me that team is Mallya's hobby which he is trying to sell in India by name it that way. It's about as Indian as JLR.
Regardless of weather its a hobby or not. Force India is the 'best of the rest' today after the Big3 and Mercedes. They soundly trashed Sauber and Williams. I know its hard to digest because Williams was once a c'ship winning constructor.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 19:28   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
asr245's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,134
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I guess love is blind.

I'm sure he will be up to speed in no time. But that speed in a Williams is only good for 12 or 15th place as things stand. He cannot do magic if the car is slow.

It's not love of the driver - it's love of the sport. Regardless of how good/bad Williams is next year if Kimi is as motivated as he was in 2005 and as quick as he was before, I am sure he won't be in a Williams or any other mid-field car for more than 2 seasons. So if 2010s 4 or 5 way battle for WDC is converted into a 5 or 6 way battle, I am quite sure it will be much more interesting for us fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Regardless of weather its a hobby or not. Force India is the 'best of the rest' today after the Big3 and Mercedes. They soundly trashed Sauber and Williams. I know its hard to digest because Williams was once a c'ship winning constructor.
Well, RBR was once Jaguar & Stewart Ford & probably something else before it. Back then Williams were champions and "RBR" was just another team. So it's not about who's trashing whom. I have a problem with him using the name "India" & then trying to sell it to us.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 02:48   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,428
Thanked: 1,676 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

Well Kimi was good at one time, but lets not forget his last season at Ferrari where he was quite de-motivated and it showed in his driving.


Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Well, RBR was once Jaguar & Stewart Ford & probably something else before it. Back then Williams were champions and "RBR" was just another team. So it's not about who's trashing whom. I have a problem with him using the name "India" & then trying to sell it to us.
Give credit where its due, the engineers, mechanics and the 2 drivers who have worked hard to achieve this feat.

Force India have beaten even Mercedes themselves on more than one occasion.

Each to his own, but I'm pretty impressed with Mallya being the unpaid (& unappreciated) brand ambassador for India.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 16:10   #30
Zed
BHPian
 
Zed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 456
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: Raikkonen to return to F1 in 2012?

@ asr245
I guess credit is due to VM - im not passing judgement on him as a businessman or a politician, but as an F1 boss he is passionate about the sport and his team and has shown his commitment by investing into the team - which is starting to produce results. Not sure whats wrong in associating the name India with an F1 team. Its not like naming the team this way has given him a tax break. And if he is able to catch the imagination of the indian sporting public, in one way or another, to popularize a sport that many of us recognize as a SPORT and not an evening of entertainment as some of our authorities believe we ought to applaud Dr.VM for his effort. Kimi in a Force India would be fantastic IMHO.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kimi Raikkonen won’t return to Formula One next season kraft.wagen Int'l Motorsport 16 22nd July 2010 17:12
Kimi Raikkonen vs Ken Block anachronix Int'l Motorsport 6 5th June 2010 11:26
Raikkonen back to McLaren? Could it just be? McLaren Rulez Int'l Motorsport 116 9th October 2009 14:38
Kimi Raikkonen is 2007 F1 World Champion amitverma Int'l Motorsport 124 26th October 2007 16:21
Raikkonen crowned best driver of the year IndianDawg Int'l Motorsport 6 4th January 2006 17:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:42.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks