Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 16th May 2012, 10:47   #106
BHPian

Default Re: 2012 F1 - Spanish Grand Prix

The whole incident has been blown out of proportion. I think it was a racing incident. No one can be blamed there. The penalty is ridiculous as the accident was not avoidable by both drivers. (which is what is called a racing incident)
PuntoMania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 10:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

Well, it's Michael Schumacher. You either love or hate him. Few are neutral.

Agree with vb-san there (in post 108). Rest of the post deleted.

Mods: please delete if necessary.

Last edited by asr245 : 16th May 2012 at 11:18.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 11:02   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Let’s not make this another Schumacher v/s others discussion.

Read on ESPNSTAR that McLaren has offered to loan equipment to Williams, so that they can compete as strongly as possible in Monaco. Here is the relevant link:
Formula 1 | McLaren offer Williams assistance | ESPNSTAR.com
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 14:07   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
P.S. I am warming up to Hamilton now since this season he seems a lot different and calm. Wouldn't mind him at Ferrari.
Lewis is growing up fast. He does not show his emotions and talks like a statesman these days. Even during the qualifying pole interview he talks warmly about his former team-mate Fernando (same exact words) and also about Pastor feeling special. He is probably seeing light these days rather than making comments like "Because, I am black !".

No, He is not going to 'Bar-code on the wing' Ferrrrrrrari .
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 15:10   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
The whole incident has been blown out of proportion. I think it was a racing incident. No one can be blamed there. The penalty is ridiculous as the accident was not avoidable by both drivers. (which is what is called a racing incident)
I usually agree with your posts but this one is way off!

A racing incident when one driver barges up the other's back?? Come on!

As for the penalty inequality - one was for dangerous driving and the other was for knowingly breaking the rules. Its the stewards' discretion I guess. We will all have different opinions.
good.car-ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 15:37   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post

Well, this is not a normal road accident where the following driver is always to blame.
Its an F1 race and drivers in front can also be penalized for dangerous driving.

The long and short of it is,

1. Senna has admitted in his interview that he was moving to the outside to leave enough room on the inside for Schumacher. This shows that Senna's sense of the following driver was a bit off, as MS is clearly already committed to the outside line. This is the only driver error I can pinpoint in the whole accident.
2. So Schumacher trying the last minute change of direction is not a mistake, rather it shows the old man's reflexes and split second decision making are still very much intact
3. Senna brakes very early into the corner as his tyres have fallen off the cliff already. Now, there is no way for MS to anticipate where Senna is going to brake and thus the big crash onto the rear. I'm pretty sure Schumacher was expecting an early braking move, but not as early as Senna's actual braking point.

Its really no ones fault here. I dont see how either can be fully blamed. One can understand Schumacher's frustration as he may have thought Senna first changed direction in a braking zone and then braked too early. For Senna it was unavoidable because he saw Grosjean nearly rear ending him the previous lap, and the tyres had lost all grip so he had to brake safely within limits to avoid going off track.

Last edited by PuntoMania : 16th May 2012 at 15:39.
PuntoMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 15:49   #112
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
The long and short of it is,

1. Senna has admitted in his interview that he was moving to the outside to leave enough room on the inside for Schumacher. This shows that Senna's sense of the following driver was a bit off, as MS is clearly already committed to the outside line. This is the only driver error I can pinpoint in the whole accident.
2. So Schumacher trying the last minute change of direction is not a mistake, rather it shows the old man's reflexes and split second decision making are still very much intact
3. Senna brakes very early into the corner as his tyres have fallen off the cliff already. Now, there is no way for MS to anticipate where Senna is going to brake and thus the big crash onto the rear. I'm pretty sure Schumacher was expecting an early braking move, but not as early as Senna's actual braking point.

Its really no ones fault here. I dont see how either can be fully blamed. One can understand Schumacher's frustration as he may have thought Senna first changed direction in a braking zone and then braked too early. For Senna it was unavoidable because he saw Grosjean nearly rear ending him the previous lap, and the tyres had lost all grip so he had to brake safely within limits to avoid going off track.
Spot on!

He braked way too early. Schumacher was following Bruno for a lap, if he was braking early due to bad tires or whatever, should have been doing it at every corner. Schumi must have sensed it but nop. He just braked too early at Turn 1.

Michael's penalty is harsh and couldn't have got at a wrong time, Monaco! I guess he is going to struggle there too especially after bumping him into lower order. I don't expect any fireworks!

Don't say Lewis penalty was harsh! He deserved it. Mclaren was trying to pull a fast one by running him on fumes. Not a great way to Pole Position.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 16:31   #113
Senior - BHPian

Makes sense dude. Lots of it actually

Here is a similar incident and I think FIA should have shot Webber on the track, right!?

See the minor movement that Heikki makes that was enough to send Webber flying on the track!? A similar racing incident is what happened in Spain. Move on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post

As for the penalty inequality - one was for dangerous driving and the other was for knowingly breaking the rules. Its the stewards' discretion I guess. We will all have different opinions.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 16:53   #114
Senior - BHPian

Should have been a penalty for Webber, IMO. If it wasn't, glad they rectified it this time around. Actually, I think MS ran into the back of someone last year in S'pore too, and I think he was penalized for it. I guess Webber was lucky not to get a penalty.

Did they have race driver stewards in 2010?
Old 16th May 2012, 18:05   #115
Senior - BHPian

Huh! Webber was lapping Heikki BTW

They were not racing for positions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Should have been a penalty for Webber, IMO. If it wasn't, glad they rectified it this time around. Actually, I think MS ran into the back of someone last year in S'pore too, and I think he was penalized for it. I guess Webber was lucky not to get a penalty.

Did they have race driver stewards in 2010?
Old 16th May 2012, 18:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Huh! Webber was lapping Heikki BTW

They were not racing for positions!
So he couldn't be penalised for spoiling HK's race?

And are you sure? As far as I remember, Webber was just out of the pits and trying to overtake him. If that's true why did he dive under HK's rear wing to save split of a tenths and risk it? His own doing IMO.
Old 16th May 2012, 18:28   #117
Senior - BHPian

Well, they were racing for position! Sorry about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
So he couldn't be penalised for spoiling HK's race?

And are you sure? As far as I remember, Webber was just out of the pits and trying to overtake him. If that's true why did he dive under HK's rear wing to save split of a tenths and risk it? His own doing IMO.
Old 18th May 2012, 08:00   #118
Senior - BHPian

Happy Sir Frank and the team!

2012 F1 - Spanish Grand Prix-pastor.jpg

Name:  WebBut.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  SirFrank_Newey_Horner_70_r600.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  70.3 KB

Source: AF1 Forum
Old 19th May 2012, 19:42   #119
BHPian

Just came across this.
Schumacher takes shortcut (old part of the track) and rejoins the track dangerously in front of Hamilton to block him in Friday practice. Why would anyone do this?
In the same lap earlier Hamilton was ahead and was going a bit slower to start the flying lap, schumacher was behind and may have got slowed down because of that. But what Michael did is a bit silly.

Spain 2012 - FP3 Hamilton Schumacher Incident - Video Dailymotion

Spain 2012 - Schumacher's Weekend - Video Dailymotion

Last edited by SilentEngine : 19th May 2012 at 19:46. Reason: links
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote