Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 29th October 2012, 09:02   #76
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 2012 F1 - Indian Grand Prix -Buddh International Circuit

I frankly felt that the podium position for Mclaren was theirs to lose. McLaren gave Alonso the lead IMHO!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 09:14   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
They fly Italian Navy flag, we should fly Kerala Police flag. Tit for tat.

Just a suggestion to racegoers.

Then again, flying a navy's battle flag is a sign of aggression, is it not?
Us Fly the Kerala flag on what, and i doubt if any will be even bother whatever flag we sport during international sporting. Moreover F1 Teams and FIA will have lots of other things on top priority to worry about.
varunlaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 09:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

Was never really a F1 fan. So this was my first 'serious' outing on seeing our desi F1 on my HD projector...lolz. I liked Ferraris so Alonzo it had to be. ESPN HD on - check. 5.1 Dolby system on - check. Volume UP - check. Popcorns with my son - check. Blast off...

What a race it turned out to be. The most exciting part was Alonzo beating Weber for the 2nd position. Read wiki on DRS's. New knowledge. And Schumacher's tyre burst was something or not. Kartikayen as always disappointed. Force 1 is getting there. My wife screaming to turn the volume down... priceless.

All in all, the best 25 bucks I have spent!!
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 10:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

The best thing that Alonso did was getting past the McLarens soon after the start. The race showed that he definitely had better race pace than both of them, so he could've lost a lot of time behind them if he hadn't got past them as soon as he did. That in turn helped him be close enough to Webber to capitalize on Webber's misfortune.

I don't really think there was anything special in Alonso "hunting down" Webber. Webber was literally a sitting duck on the straight without KERS against Alonso with KERS+DRS. Without Webber's KERS malfunction, I don't think Alonso would've got close enough to challenge for 2nd - which is sad in a way because it means that however well he drives, he won't get to the title without the RedBulls hitting problems.
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 10:54   #80
BHPian

Great stuff by Hulkenberg. He is definitely becoming the better of the two Force India drivers. 23 points away from Sauber. Definitely bringing the fight to them. Not sure how much they can convert the remaining races but I do hope they close the season much closer than 23 points.
What was that stuff about double KERS on one of the teams? (sorry cant remember which)
gtonsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 12:28   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunlaxman View Post
Us Fly the Kerala flag on what, and i doubt if any will be even bother whatever flag we sport during international sporting. Moreover F1 Teams and FIA will have lots of other things on top priority to worry about.
The navy flag was due to Luca's political ambitions. It does not serve any purpose and frankly mixing politics and F1 is not good.

Vettel was in total control and we had some nice overtakes as well and that too when we had core committee members of the "Carbon Fiber Club" doing that.

From Planetf1:

Overtaking Move of the Race
Lap 16: Bruno Senna on Pastor Maldonado, Williams-Renault
Pastor Maldonado's never the easiest driver to overtake and certainly he and Grosjean have had their moments this season. So when they both headed towards Turn 4, together with Bruno Senna in close attendance, you had three of the five members of the Carbon Fibre Club in place (Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez being the other two). Pastor defended, Grosjean had the DRS advantage and Senna had the not-being-able-to-defend-against-two-drivers-by-looking-in-both-mirrors-at-once advantage over his team-mate. Grosjean got past thanks to the technology, but Senna's move by running wide and then getting on the power early on the exit to outdrag Maldonado to Turn 5 was as neat as you'd expect from Alonso. And nobody touched. Senna's pass of Rosberg late in the race looked equally classy. A point for Bruno is good, but it's hardly going to change hearts and minds at Williams.
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 12:53   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I frankly felt that the podium position for Mclaren was theirs to lose. McLaren gave Alonso the lead IMHO!
It can't be. If they do it, they will be losing position to Ferrari in WCC, worth millions of $$$$. But for Alonso magic, McLaren have fared better than Ferrari this season, they deserve to be number 2 in WCC.
sa_kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 13:57   #83
BHPian

wow! what an mindblowing experience!

the banshee wail of live f1 engines is something no tv can ever replicate.

This was the first time I saw a formula 1 car.

I had been dithering about attending the race because of the ticket prices and general lethargy. A friend called me two days back saying he had Jaypee Hospitality passes, and then I had no more doubts. I used to follow F1 during Schumacher-Hakkinen days; haven't really been tracking it race to race since then, except for logging into crash.net once a quarter.

I started around 12 from my house in East of Kailash, picked up my friend and his brother from CP, tanked up (because I was worried about longish jams after the race), used the DND and were in Buddh International by 2 pm. Smooth drive, no traffic jams anywhere (5 mins slow traffic as you just enter the expressway).

On the way we realised that our passes were Jaypee hospitality passes, and were for the paddock zone, parking pass (which says VIP ) was also provided. We go ahead and park my trusty old baleno, with its bumper falling apart, next to Audis and BMWs. Put on our shades and trudge forward as if we belong there.

The shuttle from the parking to the paddock zones were primarily Merc B classes (Merc seems to have gotten down at least 20-30 cars for this - will they be sold at a discount after this?) ; with a couple of Ertigas and Xylos thrown. My bad luck - aage mercedes, piche mercedes, mujhe maruti!

Basically the paddock zone is built like this - ground floor is the pit lane - and for crews; first floor is the Jaypee Lounge which is for the celebs/specific invite, second and third floors are for the Jaypee Hospitality section which seemed like it was full of the Delhi free pass regulars (dunno if they sell tickets for this). The paddock zone seemed to have the best view (360 degree balcony to walk around) of the two long straights, the first and second corners. The team resthouses were right behind the paddock zone, and the main grandstand right in front.

No frisking/ security checking etc for Jaypee hospitality/lounge pass holders - you can carry anything in - people were with 400mm lenses, cigs etc. Amenities included full service staff bringing you your food and drink of choice. I was very impressed. But then the F1 engines started revving up, and I promptly forgot about all food, drink - I was drinking in the noise - music, and heaving out exhaut fumes. They were lined up on the starting grid for the warm up lap, and I positioned myself close to the start line to catch it close. When they started on the warm up lap I felt goose bumps, and I knew that the actual race start with the engines at 18000rpm would be special, and hurried to the other end of the balcony where I would get a clear view of the first corner which is where all the drama generally is.

There is one thing I will say - nothing, nothing - no rock show, no lamborghini exhaust, no superbike comes close to replicating the F1 engine howl. The closest I have been to such mechanical music genius is while sitting at the balcony of the Pune ATC tower with Mig 29s and Mig 21s doing their jet engined sound and light show.

And then the five lights lit up, and the 20 engines fired up high, my blood pressure shot up and my knees thrembled, and those vehicles cannoned out, up shifted and then engine braked, and HOW DID THEY NOT PILE UP IN A 10 CAR MASH UP AT THE FIRST CORNER?

I will never be able to day dream that I could have been a race car/rally driver if I was born in the relevant family with the relevant moneys - this is something else - world beating driving skills by talented people in supreme machines, with balls of steel.

Last edited by GTO : 30th October 2012 at 15:23. Reason: PM coming up
manolin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 14:04   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

@manolin; The banshee wail is now muffled. Remember do-deci cilinderi going at 20,000+ rpm. That was a real banshee.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 14:13   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@manolin; The banshee wail is now muffled. Remember do-deci cilinderi going at 20,000+ rpm. That was a real banshee.
I have only seen heard that on TV.
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 17:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

Watched as a spectator this time. The noise just provides an adrenaline rush. Unbelievable!!

The race - well quite frankly I was starting to get bored in the 2nd half. Vettel had flown away, Alonso was trying hard to overcome Webber and when he did Vettel was just too far to do anything. I left about 1.5 laps from the end to avoid the exit rush after the race (successfully).

My wish for the final 3 races - a straight on track fight between Alonso and Vettel. I want the title to go down to the last race with just a few points between them. And hopefully Alonso would win.

PS: forgot all about the Ferrari/Luca politics - race was all I had in my mind.
asr245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2012, 17:39   #87
Mik
BHPian

This was my second time at the races. I was in "Premium Stand North", the stand at Turn 1. I was almost wishing that there be a big car pile up
It was awesome seeing the cars decelerating from 300 plus speeds and the slight reddish circles being formed on the brakes.
But, one big grouse i have is with the non existent TV screens. This particular stand doesn't get any view at the screens so its almost impossible to follow the race. Infact, i knew the race was over when i saw Sebastian waving to the crowd instead of racing away. Massa Vs Raikkonen was a treat.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 11:57   #88
BHPian

Well I personally thought the race was pretty boring... Apart from the small snippets of action the race seemed pretty straightforward. Also, from what I could see on TV, there seemed to be many empty stands !

Here's an opinion on the race : http://en.espnf1.com/india/motorsport/story/93230.html

I wonder why so many stands seemed empty ? I personally think the airlines are to blame for a lot of the empty seats. They priced out a lot of people (myself included) from attending the race with skyrocketing fares for the race weekend. A lot of F1 crazy people I know from Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and Kolkatta also missed out due to the terribly high fares since the past 2 months for this race. Next time I'll make sure to buy those airline tickets even further in advance !
PuntoMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 12:20   #89
Senior - BHPian

Headache at F1

Name:  Headache at F1.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  438.2 KB
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 12:42   #90
BHPian

Well I thought the race was better than last year's. They were atleast a few duels which took place. Alonso-Webber, Webber-Hamilton, Massa-Raikonnen etc.

Getting in to the circuit this time was a breeze. ONe more good thing was they organised the music concert at a separate place. But the shuttle buses should have been of better quality and also the bus drivers shouldn't have allowed people into the buses when the seats were taken. Reminded me of my DTC experience in college

A great experience over-all.
kewlferrari is offline   Reply With Quote