Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 8th November 2012, 12:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Why is Karthikeyan so slow?

In the video of the HRT, you can see how the car understeers in one corner oversteers in another and the way Narain has to correct the steer mid corner.

Pedro definitely has more experience than Narain, was in F1 all these years unlike Narain and is faster. I dont want to call him slow, he has done a lot better in other series. He did win a race for the Indian car in A1GP too.

But I think he is well past his time in F1 and may be move on. If HRT is dumped from F1, I would be even more happy!
anachronix is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 12:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Narain's car doesnt have KERS- so thats 80 BHP less.....maybe that explains it
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 12:49   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I fail to understand what has background got to do with individual performance in the sporting field/track. When Saina Nehwal looses to top Chinese shuttle's we don't talk about what environment she came from, although when she wins its just an awesome feeling. Thats what differentiates a awesome sportsperson from a good one.
The problem is that F1 is different from other sports. Or maybe not?

To be among the 20 F1 drivers in a given F1 season, you need money / power / lots of skill. Preferably a mix of the three. You need to have a lot of brass in your pocket to make it big. By the virtue of your skill and good team-work and some necessary funds, you could find yourself up there.

N.K. is a great driver. Unfortunately, he hasn't been as lucky as some of the others out there. And now, he has probably peaked already, given his age.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 19:06   #19
BHPian

If you look at Narain's career history, he has not had that much experience with F1-like cars, and if you speak about wins in the open wheel cars series, there are flashes in the pan, here and there.

To be frank, he was not exactly extraordinary in previous series either. I am sure he is a stellar human being, but he should save himself any further embarrassment, I mean getting the middle finger thrown at you by someone 10 years younger (Vettel) is a bit telling about his career progress.

He needs to leave HRT or get out of that damn car, I do not see the latter happening, and he's being schooled by Pedro in HRT. So where exactly is he going?

The qualifying times are not reflecting how bad he wants it, imho.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 8th November 2012 at 19:10.
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 19:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

I lost all faith in Karthikeyan when he could not even finish 3rd in a race that had only 4 cars and 2 of them were Ferrari cars. Remember Indianapolis anyone?
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 19:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I lost all faith in Karthikeyan when he could not even finish 3rd in a race that had only 4 cars and 2 of them were Ferrari cars. Remember Indianapolis anyone?
Correction Vikram, there were three teams (Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi) and 6 cars. The other 14 cars wore Michelin tires and were not in the race after Ralf Schumacher stuffed his car into the wall.

Doesn't help his case much though.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 19:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Correction Vikram, there were three teams (Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi) and 6 cars. The other 14 cars wore Michelin tires and were not in the race after Ralf Schumacher stuffed his car into the wall.

Doesn't help his case much though.
Thanks for the correction. I completely forgot about the Jordans.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 19:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Thanks for the correction. I completely forgot about the Jordans.
NK drove for Jordan. He drove at A1 GP too. I dont recall him overtaking any one. I dont think his overtaking skills are good at international level.
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 23:31   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I fail to understand what has background got to do with individual performance in the sporting field/track. When Saina Nehwal looses to top Chinese shuttle's we don't talk about what environment she came from, although when she wins its just an awesome feeling. Thats what differentiates a awesome sportsperson from a good one.

I am not passing judgements on NK, as i do not follow F1 anymore, nor i am as knowledgeable as some others. Maybe he is working things out before setting blistering pace. And this business of bringing sponsor to get a driving seat is pure un-sporty. The driving seat needs to go to driver with talent not driver with money.

Some of the reasons F1 is no longer my favorite sport, looks like i lack business acumen .
In countries which have a bit of Motor Sports in them (Europe, esp Italy, Spain & then Germany, France etc) have a very early start with their stars.

I am not really verse with the lives of F1 Drivers, but know for a fact that there are riders in Moto GP, who started mini Moto Racing or plain riding when they were in their diapers.

The formats for racing (Car, tracks, facilities & tons of other things) are V-E-R-Y different as well, at least when compared to Asia.

Sorry, to got a bit OT, but Japan has seen moderate success with their riders. Drivers? It still is elusive I believe.

I am sure, if honed properly, Narain, Karun, K Rajni, Dilip Roger, P D Moses, Sarath Kumar, Naren Kumar...(well the list is endless) can be at the top. They are superhuman for me. I might have missed few names and please excuse me for that. I have much respect for any one who professionally races in India. I don't care for which ever championship it is.

Most would say, If you played Cricket & blah...

K Rajni is in the business of making auto-rickshaw hood. Sarath drives a taxi to make a living & Sarath is the first Indian (correct me if wrong) to participate in the 125 class. They are the true heroes.

Given an opportunity, someone amongst us can throw surprises as well, No? Have a look here (Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The problem is that F1 is different from other sports. Or maybe not?
It is the back ground Sir. In very few sports does our country do well and is the 2nd most populated country. Soon to be the No.1.

Yes, the no. of sports in which it excels, can be counted on your fingertips.

Anyone succeeding in Motor Sports in this country is God's child (skill, luck & host of other factors)

Sorry for a bit of rant :-|
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 02:19   #25
BHPian

IMO, a car is only as fast as its driver. Look at 'Nando. The ways he's turned around the F2012 from a loser to a championship contender is really commendable. But here's the thing: when one says a Ferrari is off the pace of the front runners, its a wholly different thing than from saying, for eg, that the HRT is slow. The performance deficit in case of the HRT is quite simply unacceptable!

What I mean to say is, the HRT has more than quite a bit to do with NKs inability to deliver. Comparing him to DLR is the only way to gauge his performance, correct, but even in them there could be problems. The car's setup may not be suited to his driving style as much as it is for Pedro's. There are a lot of factors (which, quite frankly, are beyond my understanding), which may affect an F1 car's behaviour.

I still think NK deserves a lot more testing time behind the wheel of a 'competent' car (But I guess his age will start to show now onwards. Edit: or maybe it already has). *sigh* Kaash Mallya ji raazi ho jaye!

Last edited by Harshal.Bhosale : 9th November 2012 at 02:22.
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 02:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale View Post
*sigh* Kaash Mallya ji raazi ho jaye!

Please tell me you are kidding. If I was Mallya I would never hire KC or NK, especially NK.

Why should they, just because it's Force "India" ?

All this sympathy stuff is silly, F1 is no less a business than any other business. When talent is spotted, talent is grabbed. No team is dumb to leave opportunities, especially Mallya, his KFA might have sunk but he's got his F1 stuff sorted out very very smartly!

Plus Mallya asked them to test the simulators, which both NK and KC fought Mallya over. The last time I checked they don't own F1 teams - so they better bend his way or there's no way.

Now look at KC, who has probably no future in F1. Their chances would have been higher under Mallya's terms.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 9th November 2012 at 03:11.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 03:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC
Please tell me you are kidding.
Why should they, just because it's Force "India" ?
Hehe, maybe there was a tiny hint of sarcasm in my line there. ;-)
I merely pointed out the SFI's as a close-by option for NK. KC, no, please! And no, not specifically SFI, just any competent car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC
Now look at KC, who has probably no future in F1.
Except maybe F1 commentary. Karunpedia was good @Dubai last weekend! :-D

Last edited by Harshal.Bhosale : 9th November 2012 at 03:37.
Harshal.Bhosale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 11:53   #28
BHPian

PDR has been a test driver for a very very long time at McL and knows much about cars than NK who has considerable lesser exposure in tuning cars.

The HRT is a bad car, lets face it and not compare the drivers with the HRT.

But NK is not a great driver, he is a good driver coming from India in the early part of last decade. He is past his right age and that is showing nowadays.

Also everyone need to be aware that Ma Qing Ha drives the car on fridays instead of him. Fridays are critical to understand the car-circuit relation. Bruno Senna is also suffering similar problems because Bottas is driving it there.

So it is only the march to sunset of NK's career.
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 15:41   #29
BHPian

It's official HRT is for sale. Let's chip in for team-bhp group buy!

Maybe they will have a better car next year.

http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8244862/
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 20:51   #30
BHPian

This is what Christian Horner , team principal RBR, had commented on Narain Karthikeyan.

Quote:
The race unfortunately hinged on one backmarker who didnít use his mirrors, that was the difference.
This was after Karthikeyan slowed down Vettel, he lost time, on lap 42.
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote