Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 25th November 2012, 23:50   #106
BHPian

Default Re: 2012 F1 - Sao Paulo Brazil

Whoa!! What a race, What a season!!

Great season for both Vettel and Alonso, but I think Vettel was the more deserving of the two. It was a good race by Alonso but in the end it was not enough.

Sad race for Hamilton as well, had he not crashed he would've won the race and would've earned the most fitting result in his last race for Mclaren.

Same goes for Hulkenberg, ruined a golden chance of finishing in the podium in his last race for Force India.
neerajpv87 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 23:52   #107
Senior - BHPian

I hear its a red-yellow flag

Pat Fry tells @SkySport F1 VET overtook KOB under a red and yellow 'oil flag' not a yellow. #F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
He is guilty for sure, the flag clearly appeared yellow from his helmet cam, and Kobayashi wasn't even hindering his view.

What is the price he has to pay ? I don't know how this could have slipped the stewards .
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 23:52   #108
Senior - BHPian

I don't remember if it was lap 36, but I guess Kobayashi ran wide allowing Vettel to get inside of him. I guess in that case the no-passing-under-yellows doesn't apply. Then Kobayashi tried to get back and went off. Or did Koba run wide on some other lap?

I posted this in one of the other threads:

Quote:
Although Vettel increased his gap to Alonso, now I actually think Alonso is going to win this WDC. He is like Moses with the sea parting before him. In India it was Webber's KERS. In Abu Dhabi, it was Vettel's penalty and Hamilton's retirement. Here in Austin first Button misses Q3, few real and artificial gearbox penalties, Webber's retirement again and Hamilton getting past Vettel. Alonso looks destined to win this one. All that is now left is a Vettel retirement and run to 3rd place in Brazil by Alonso.
The sea almost parted for Alonso there, didn't it? Vettel spin on lap1, two leaders taken/dropping out, wrong call by RB for Vettel's pit-stop (just before he changed to inters for the last time) and even a long delayed last pit-stop for Vettel. But in the end, it just wasn't enough.

Last edited by StarrySky : 26th November 2012 at 00:10.
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 23:54   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I am reading tweets about Vettel passing Kobayashi under yellow flags in Lap 36. I dont know if there is an investigation going on by the stewards on this. I dont know, but it may not be over yet!
Pat fry was being interviewed by Sky F1, and he said something about it being an oil flag, not yellow flag. Vettel's championship is safe.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 23:55   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I hear its a red-yellow flag
It was indeed the red and yellow flag. Find below the tweet from Brundle.

To answer many it appears the warning lights were red and yellow for slippery track not yellow so nothing to answer for Vettel.

@MBrundleF1
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 23:56   #111
mgh
BHPian

Amazing race. Button and Hulk were running away with the race because of not changing to intermediates, the first safety car cost them that advantage (they were close to 40 seconds ahead of the rest of the cars at that point). The Hamilton Hulk collision could not be blamed on Hulkenberg, he skid on a damp spot while trying to overtake. He could have waited for a better opportunity, as surprisingly his Force India car was undoubtedly the fastest car for the conditions today. Even after the accident, he was second, but the drive through penalty dropped him to fifth.

Third time Alonso has lost the WDC by a few points.(2007,2010, and 2012)
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 00:02   #112
BHPian

Caught the race only midway and what a deserved end to the season

Vettel has done it and how.collision at start, drama at pitlanes and yet the youngest ever 3time WDC , bravo.

Nothing suspicious on seb, ,kobayashi incident.The usual suspects might moan and whine, but they have to get on with it

Sebastian Vettel - 2012 WDC and 3 times champion
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 00:05   #113
BHPian

Here's a funny incident with Kimi.

Next year Lotus are going to fit GPS navigation in his car
SilentEngine is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 00:08   #114
BHPian

Congrats Seb. One lucky Sod today. I guess they reinforced the car with extra layer of steel. Really feel bad for Alonso. He has been the real champion this year. Great comeback from Massa in the second-half. Looking for a fast Ferrari next year.

If only the Torro Rosso's had put up little fight with the Redbull's, the race could have been different.

And Michael gifting the position to Seb!? Really lost respect for him.
go-pg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 00:13   #115
Senior - BHPian

Another Excellent Race!!!

Vettel - He was lucky not to be hit by anyone when he spun in the first lap. Also, with bunch of midfielders crashing out in the first lap helped him to hold on to P6.

Alonso - IMO he deserved to be the champion this year.

Hulkenberg - Could have waited for couple of more lap to take on Hamilton. He wasted a podium chance. It was his bad luck that safety car was deployed when there was 40+ Seconds difference between P1, P2 and rest of the field.

Räikkönen - In his come back year finishes with 100% lap record and scored points in 19 races. What a consistency.

The funniest part was when he went off the track and entered the old track. He still continued in the old track before realizing that he will not be able to join the track. He had to take a "U" turn to join the track.

Edit: Just saw that SilentEngine has posted the video link.

Last edited by arun_josie : 26th November 2012 at 00:15. Reason: added comment
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 00:23   #116
Senior - BHPian

Probably one of the best races I've watched in a long while. Actually most Brazilian GPs since 2007 are there in that list.

Hats off to Newey for designing a train! An F1 car getting a hole on the side in lap 1 and still finishing in P7 is just amazing. Have to give credit to Vettel for coming back from that stage.

Have to say Kimi entertained a lot today, starting with a scare of running into Vettel in lap 1, then an off-track adventure ride and then the stunning overtaking move on Schumacher. That overtaking just proved why they are champion drivers as well as any doubts on if Michael got too old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-pg View Post
And Michael gifting the position to Seb!? Really lost respect for him.
How about Massa gifting P2 to Alonso? Massa actually slowed down considerably to let Alonso pass. At least in Schumi's case, it was definitely not the team asking him to do it.

Last edited by zenren : 26th November 2012 at 00:34.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 00:32   #117
Senior - BHPian

Unbelievable 1st lap... and what a race.
Was so sure that Vettel has sustained damage to the car, then noticed a purple sector on live timing. Quite a miracle on how nothing significant happened.

Well fought by Ferrari. But Red Bull had the faster car right through and deserved to win as well.

Kimi going for drive on his own for some ice cream probably was epic!

Last edited by Hatari : 26th November 2012 at 00:35.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 00:44   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
How about Massa gifting P2 to Alonso? Massa actually slowed down considerably to let Alonso pass. At least in Schumi's case, it was definitely not the team asking him to do it.
Wow, that's your argument? For your kind information, Massa and Alonso are in the same team. Michael is driving for Mercedes and not Redbull. You cannot have 4 drivers letting another car go by because a. they are sister team b. he is the same nationality and you like him.

Last edited by go-pg : 26th November 2012 at 00:47.
go-pg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 01:40   #119
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic race!

Vettel thoroughly deserves the title. He fought back from the back of the grid TWICE this year to score vital WDC points, which proved to be so valuable today. Love or hate, you cannot debate that he is the man to beat in the next few years. Kudos!

Alonso didn't have the best car but was definitely the best driver. It seemed like it was destiny for him to win the title this year after all the incidents involving Seb today, but it was not to be. The crash at Spa proved too costly and to think it wasn't even his fault is just a shame. But massive, massive respect for the man. Even in the interview, he refused to appear all let down and upset. But was positive that he'd given his 100% this year, which is what counts.

Special mention for Massa, who over the past few races, has played the role of a team driver very, very well. I would personally like to see Team Orders banned and let people get on with good, clean racing.

Nico Hulkenberg should've waited for just another lap to make a move on the McLarens. He would've had DRS too.

Hamilton, sad way for him to end his relationship with McLaren. He was driving a good race, but full credit to Button for holding his own and getting the car to 1st place.

Schumacher, well, I'm not going to comment on how he let Seb pass. But I will say that he drives into the sunset with his head held high having accomplished more than what he would've ever dreamed of back in the 1990s. His comeback wasn't the best, but he showed us that he still had the grit and determination to slug it out with the younger drivers on the grid. I hope he still has some role in the sport. A steward perhaps?

Overall, McLaren and RBR start the next year very strong and Ferrari still have a long way to go to catch up with them both. Hopefully they sort out their Wind Tunnel issues quickly and catch up with the pace setters.

And please, forget the podium interviews and get on with the routine press conferences!

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 26th November 2012 at 01:44.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 01:53   #120
BHPian

Zenren, come on man why would the Toro Rossos put up a fight with Vettel .

Helmut Marko would put two bullets right in Ricciardo's and Vergne's temples if they dared to.

I'm also upset that Shumacher had to give it up to Vettel -- what a blatant display of sympathy and nationalistic feelings. But I doubt he would have held up that Red Bull for long.

Regardless of how Alonso fared, imho he is still the real WDC.

Yes, cars don't drive themselves, but I simply don't see what is so great and awesome about SV when 20 guys are fighting with knives while 2 guys are privileged enough to bring a nuclear bomb to every race.

I hope the pathetic Ferrari team feels shamed by the sugar water company. Hopefully they take 2013 seriously.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 26th November 2012 at 01:56.
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote