Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 28th February 2013, 21:20   #106
BHPian

Default Re: The 2013 Formula One Season

Good to see Sutil back, a known quantity was a safe bet by Mallya regardless of the china incident.

Does anybody know what exactly this thing does ? They're obviously sensors of some sort but it is by far one of the weirdest things I have seen during the test sessions.

http://psychdbyf1.files.wordpress.co...nsor-array.jpg
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 21:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Does anybody know what exactly this thing does ? They're obviously sensors of some sort but it is by far one of the weirdest things I have seen during the test sessions.

Aero sensors. Measure amount of air flowing across them.
vikram_d is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 21:31   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Aero sensors. Measure amount of air flowing across them.
Do you see some sensor taped to the rim or do you think that's actually a part of the tire ? It looks like they just attached something using regular masking tape we can find on cardboard boxes ?
Old 28th February 2013, 22:01   #109
Senior - BHPian

The sensors right behind the wheel are Pitot tube sensors to measure air velocity across them. I have no idea what the geared thing and the accompanying duct tape thing are.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 22:06   #110
mgh
BHPian

It looks like either an aerodynamic device, or a multiple sensor device to get airflow profile around the tyre. From the looks of it it can be moved up and down with a motor attachment, so sensor array to get airflow profile seems to be most likely explanation.

Last edited by mgh : 28th February 2013 at 22:09.
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 23:25   #111
Senior - BHPian

Moving it up and down will play spoilsport with sensor position. So I doubt if the geared mechanism is for for moving the sensors up and down.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 08:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

The long blade type device behind the front wheel is used to measure the turbelance behind the wheels. The gear attached to the nose cone is to move the sensor position up-down behind the front wheels.

These are used to verify the windtunnel vs on track data!

Quote:
Good to see Sutil back, a known quantity was a safe bet by Mallya regardless of the china incident.

anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 23:48   #113
Senior - BHPian

Bianchi finally gets a chance to race in F1! He replaces Razia at Marussia

http://en.espnf1.com/marussia/motors...ry/101976.html
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013, 00:58   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

It's MARCH! Now, where is that thread for Albert Park?

Barcelona Test 2 Day 2

The test today was marred with rain. In general, Lotus is looking good. And I am not saying this because it topped the times today.

Ferrari completed race simulation and was consistent with the times, only for the program to be disturbed by rain later on.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 12:29   #115
BHPian

The VJM06 of Sutil looked strong too. What tires and how much fuel did Sutil have when he set the 3rd fastest time?
Old 4th March 2013, 13:22   #116
BHPian

Quote:
The VJM06 of Sutil looked strong too. What tires and how much fuel did Sutil have when he set the 3rd fastest time?
No one knows what kind of fuel load they carry during pre-season testing and during the three FP sessions. Teams closely guard this information to keep other teams from understanding the performance of their car. Qualy D33 will show the true pace of the cars and reveal where everybody stands as they all are loaded with fuel for a couple of laps only, Few warm-up for tires and then the hot lap.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 18:31   #117
BHPian

Looks like the usual suspects are going to be the front runners come the Ozzy GP. The car which looks the coolest this year is the Ferrari, love the black under belly with the white linning.

Ermm, but McLaren will win the first race, huh!

Last edited by RacingForIndia : 4th March 2013 at 18:39. Reason: Forgot to mention my ryder!
RacingForIndia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 14:10   #118
BHPian

The regulations have gone largely unchanged from the 2012 Season, Here are my thoughts based on that.

Qualifying:
The qualifying was extremely close last year & as the cars will be more or less evolutions of last years I feel it will be even closer this year leading to some very very close times during the sessions. We may see a car that went out in Q2 last year this time making it in Q3 and vice versa more often.

Race:
While the Qualifying was close the races were mixed with the winner being the person who got the 'sweet spot' operating temperatures of the tyes at the right time earlier during the season. Some people referred to this as a 'lottery' of sorts. While the Second half of the season was very generic with the top 3 leading the way. I feel this year will be pretty much the same as far as races are concered. Eventually the teams will have figured out the tyres and how to get the best of them.

Top Teams:
Now this is where it gets interesting. I feel Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes(yes) and Lotus all have a chance to win races this year due to the closer grid which will bring much more and much needed excitement to the spectacle that is Formula One racing. I also think FI, Sauber and Williams have a shot at Podiums during the first half this year. Maurussia, Caterham I feel will languish at the bottom through most of the season but may challenge the mid teams for positions if they get lucky with the tyres. All in all a nice mix.

WDC and WCC:
I think the Drivers championship will be a close call between Vettel and Alonso & even Massa given his return to form during the last couple of races in 2012. I haven't included Button in the list as he isn't World Championship material and requires the fastest car to Win(2009), Not Webber as he has issues with confidence once he does get on top(First Half 2012), Not Sergio due to lack in experience.
As for the Constructors its a hard to tell perhaps McLaren can be added to the list of Potential WCC Winners if they Iron out last years reliability issues and score on consistency but I think I will vouch for Red Bull on this one, They have a very strong driver in Vettel and a consistent scorer in Mark Webber.

Again I state my opinions without 100% confidence, which is a good thing, due to the uncertainty that was 2012, which makes me very happy and excited for this season! unlike the early 2000s where you would have absolutely no doubts about who would come out on top ; ).

I would like to hear everyone's predictions on the 2013 Formula One Season : ).
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 13:22   #119
Senior - BHPian

Predictions for 2013:

Qualifying: I think Mercedes may ruin a few weekends for the usual suspects. They seem to be able to get the "biting point" of the tyres much quicker than the others and seem to be able to post quick single lap times. This could be a real deal spoiler for Ferrari who for many years havent been up there in qualifying...except for the wet P1 positions Nando earned from wet qualifying sessions last year.

Races: Mclaren seem to have a quick but complicated car. The setup changes dont seem to work perfectly well with the car and the drivers have been complaining of how sensitive the car is to setup changes. You either have one thing or the other and the car doesnt seem to come together as an overall package. Perez is yet to show the maturity required to drive a Mclaren.

Redbull have a steady car and if you ask me, they are the ones to beat this year. They have a very strong development programme and its possible they may not be right up at the front in the beginning but come Brazil, Vettel will be fighting for his fourth title with one hand on the trophy.

Ferrari seem to have a decent package. A car that can improve over the course of the season. My only qualms are with how much nerve Alonso can hold on and can he pull up another 2012 type performance again. Surely he must be drained after last year. Ive got no predictions for Massa. I will wait until the Euro leg of the season to make a judgement.

Lotus is another team I will watch with great interest. I do feel Kimi will get in the mix of things and fight the top brass for wins. Grosjean has matured quite a bit and he will be a real nightmare for many with his strong pace over a single lap.

To me, its Red Bull vs Mclaren vs Alonso vs hints of Hamilton and Kimi again!
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 11:45   #120
BHPian

Very nice analysis of the testing season:
http://www.pitpass.com/48496-Matt-So...-Testing-Times
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote