Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 14th May 2006, 19:03   #1
BHPian

Default For those of you who missed the Shanghai Grand Prix

The Shanghai MOTOGP Grand Prix today saw the arrival of Dani Pedrosa in triumphant form and challenge the veterans for a place in the top

After claiming pole position, Pedrosa was relegated to fifth after being pushed wide by Colin Edwards and John Hopkins who rode 1st and 2nd for sometime in the race. Valentino Rossi made a quick charge to 5th from 15th on the grid within 10 laps. However, the loss of a chunk of rubber from his front tyre, which he did not notice until he changed the rear tyre saw him retire from the race.
There was an air of inevitability about Pedrosa and Hayden passing the 2 at the front, and that's exactly what happened. Casey Stoner had given Rossi quite a tough time but ran wide and was 10th. However, some blitzkrieg riding saw him return to take the chequered in 5th place. The order of the 1st 7 at the chequered flag was Pedrosa, Hayden, Edwards, Hopkins, Stoner, Tamada & Melandri. This was a good result for Suzuki after Hopkins was on the 1st row on the grid, even though Vermeulen crashed out.

In other news, Hector Barbera (Aprilia) took his 1st victory in the 250 cc from Andrea Dovizioso and Hiroshi Aayoma, while Mika Kallio took his 1st top podium of the season ahead of Matthia Passini and Alvaro Bautista.
turbo_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 21:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Repsol is back!!! The lap records just kept falling, lap after lap. There were consistantly lapping in the 1:59s.

And unlike the usual scenario, the lap times kept improving till the end of the race. Wonder if they even experinced tyre wear. I think the track record was quicker than the pole qualifying time.

Always knew Pedrosa had what it took. But, Hayden has improved a lot this year. He's probably the only rider to get a podium finish in all the 4 races so far. It's no surprise that he's leading the championship, even though he's still to win a race this season.

Rossi was unlucky, or else he'd have surely got a podium finish.

Sete has gone from bad to worse after his move to Ducati.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 13:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

True .. IMO, Melandri and Pedrosa .. then next gen ..
It's amazing what Rossi can do with machines not working as good as the competition.

MotoGP rocks .. I think % of rider skills vs machine requirement is higher in MotoGP than say , F1 ..
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 18:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
True .. IMO, Melandri and Pedrosa .. then next gen ..

MotoGP rocks .. I think % of rider skills vs machine requirement is higher in MotoGP than say , F1 ..
Dude I think we can add Casey Stoner to that list. Maybe Repsol might be trying as much as possible to team him and Pedrosa together after Hayden leaves.

I have read an awesome report by designer Glynn Kerr who said that PRODRIVE is trying to come out with active panels like F1 cars as far as aerodynamics is concerned. The news is still not on the web, but once the testing is through, it will be great.

Would have loved to post pics, but I can't get them on the web. Iwill scan them from the mag and show u guys.
turbo_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote