Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 25th March 2013, 15:23   #61
BHPian

Default Re: 2013 F1 - Malaysian Grand Prix

Saw a news ticker stating that Webber has flown back to Australia to "weigh his options" after the Sepang incident. Any news on the details?
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 15:25   #62
Senior - BHPian

Team orders etc will always exist. What was unpleasant to see was the lack of celebration on the podium from all 3 drivers. Portraying that to the crowd is totally wrong.
It felt more like a funeral.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 16:02   #63
Senior - BHPian

Well it looks like Vettel pulled a schumie style behavior on his team and his team mate. Looking at the various reports on F1 websites, it seems that Christian Horner is truly upset about the events that took place.

Webber made his intentions and feelings clear in this video:Click here

I saw the start of the race and looking at Nando going out, i left the TV on to glance at the standings every now and then. Didnt bother with the last ten laps but it seems like it was the best part of the race. With tonnes of controversy surrounding it.

Im shocked at why Ferrari didnt call Alonso into the pits. The risk in waiting for dry weather to appear was a silly call. The wing was tilted to one side and it was evident to me watching from a million miles away. Serious judgement error. He looked like he would have won the race.

Last edited by Fullrevs : 25th March 2013 at 16:03. Reason: Grammatical
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 16:39   #64
BHPian

Such a bad race really. Looks like its high time the FIA bans radios.
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 17:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't watch the race as I was on a ride to Yercaud and back but must have been an insane race to watch eh?

But its very funny how the media don't react to "team orders" given by Mercedes but when Ferrari does it, everyone has something to say.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 20:33   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Team orders in F1 is legal, there is nothing to be done with team orders!
Well said anachronix. However at no point in my post did I mention team orders being illegal. Even though they were banned a few years ago, the FIA has revoked this ban and team orders are very much alive.

Team orders that result in an immediate (lets say within the same lap) change of driving positions should be banned. These may include:
1)Explicitly ordering the leading driver to slow down and let his team mate pass.
2)Explicitly ordering a driver to block and hold up an opponent(s) so that his team mate, either at the front or behind him, makes up a few places.

Calls such as warning one driver to slow down and pushing the other for faster lap times (due to difference in tyre wear, wing and suspension set up, remaining fuel etc.) will fall into the grey area. This is the grey area that should make for an exciting race.
Derezzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 21:16   #67
BHPian

Just let the drivers race and ban team orders, stripping a racing driver of his instinct is criminal. Having said that, the drivers should have the balls to admit what they did and why. Vettel made it even worse when he said he "misunderstood" the message. Two words, "maintain position" cannot be misunderstood. He clearly disobeyed the team orders because he though it was unfair and they should be allowed to race, if only both of them had that mindset. I would have been happy if Vettel said that in the interview, I wanted to race and so I did what I did. Lewis, clearly appeared troubled by his podium finish.

The only remedy to this chaos and ego clash is to ban team orders, let the drivers race, it's a man and machine sport, not a strategy sport.
dgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 21:35   #68
Senior - BHPian

Dont understand why you are telling me this mate, I dont think the problem on sunday was because of any of the team orders you mentioned. It was a case of Vettel breaking pre-race agreement with his team.

Most drivers usually turn down their engines after the final stops and cruise to finish unless really reqiured as there are restrictions around the number of engines and gearbox that can be used in a season and this would help them conserve some life for the powertrain. In a similar fashion, Webber was asked to be in the cruise or fuel save mode and Vettel took advantage of that situation. I dont think FIA has got something to do about this. Its the problem with sucker attitude for winning by Vettel, its the RB team that has really made him into a spoiled brat that he is now.

The problem at Mercedes was different as Rosberg thought he had the speed to catch the Bulls asking his boss about it and Brawn decided not to take a chance as it might go either ways between his drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derezzed View Post
This is the grey area that should make for an exciting race.
anachronix is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 22:43   #69
BHPian

Formula 1 is also a team sport. There is enough competition already on the grid in the form of Ferrari, Mercedes and it is silly on the part of Sebastian to make a enemy out of his team mate.

The risky manoeuvre he pulled out on Mark could have put both the drivers out of the race. Really appreciate the professionalism of Mark webber. He showed some sense at the moment and refrained from putting sebastian into the wall. Redbull could have had a worse weekend with both their drivers out and no points on the table.

Also Sebastian made a lame comment on Mark earlier in the race "get him out of the way; he's too slow". This shows he has taken things for granted around the Redbull management and speaks volumes about the kind of professional respect he has for his team mate.
CoolBlueBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 23:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

Is this going to be the end of this episode or is Webber going to open another chapter post his contemplation.

http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/859...orry-to-Webber
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 03:04   #71
BHPian

Read many of the comments and feel people are judging the situation quite early on. There were many things that went wrong. No denying webber had a clean race with him really doing well. As far as sebastians goof up it was no doubt he ignored or maybe just plain forgot what the codes really meant...haha....as far as comparing him to schumacher, thats not fair as this was and is only incident in his career of 5 years where people suddenly started questioning his morality. MW was in redbull long before SV came into the picture. MW had no wins to his name, and with SV in the team their fortunes changed. I find it funny when people argue SV has the best car which is why he is always on pole. But people fail to understand it takes a good driver to get the setup right as well. If the car was really that great MW would have atleast won one championship by now. To summarize my point MW is a has been. MW has always been a 2-3 race win in a season kinda guy and never really challenged for championships, this is something Helmut has said about him earlier. Knowing the fact that SV is in it to win it for the fourth time in a row is no suspense. Red bull management should give SV a tap on his wrist and let webber know about it as well. MW has a problem with being number 2 and he cannot digest it, but he cant really do anything about it either. He was pissed, but not becoz vettel passed him, becos he might have lost his oppurtunity to win few of the races he does in a championship. MW stop acting like a victim, sure you can portray that too the world, but the truth is you are really the No.2 guy. Live with it and collect your fat paycheck.
nofear5611 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 09:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Vettel knows he is in the WDC fight and Fernando will be as well. And in two of the last 3 years, the WDC fight went to the last race between the two and he won it by small margins. This was a golden opportunity to outscore Fernando by 25 points in the race and he took it. I can understand Vettel's thinking - assuming he made a calculated move on Webber, and it was not something prompted by an adrenaline rush due to the heat of the moment.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 09:57   #73
BHPian

Folks,
I might sound crazy... but the NASCAR race on the same day was more fun and interesting than the F1 race...
AJITHAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:07   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Vettel knows he is in the WDC fight and Fernando will be as well. And in two of the last 3 years, the WDC fight went to the last race between the two and he won it by small margins. This was a golden opportunity to outscore Fernando by 25 points in the race and he took it. I can understand Vettel's thinking - assuming he made a calculated move on Webber, and it was not something prompted by an adrenaline rush due to the heat of the moment.

Exactly what I was thinking. Apologies my foot. This was well planned and an extremely well executed heist of 7 points.

What I hate about this Vettel guy is his two faced nature. He is like a poisonous snake, hissing around in the grass following you like a harmless garden snake.

Why can't he be a man and admit that he will not compromise on anything except first place, and that he races for first and nothing else.

You could tell it was already in his mind on the team radio a couple laps before when he said " MArk is too slow ".

I do not find his passing of webber worse than the fact that he tried to make it. sound unintentional - as if the car decided to overtake by itself.

Also I am glad Christian Horner and the RBR team have the opportunity to really see Vettel's true colors. Their baby blue eyed boy might as well have showed the finger to Horner or Dietrich mateschitz with that overtake.

Vettel is the ugliest personality on the grid - I'll be rooting for Alonso/Kimi till November.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 26th March 2013 at 10:12.
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:18   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But its very funny how the media don't react to "team orders" given by Mercedes but when Ferrari does it, everyone has something to say.
They were not after Ferrari but Schumi. Total dominance makes for poor viewership. There was a one point agenda, Stop Schumi, rules were changed, points system was changed, and so on. Now that the competiting seems to be more balanced they will let it ride, until again someone starts dominating too much.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote