Name:  image1032449271.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  252.4 KB
sa_kiran is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:45   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2013 F1 - Malaysian Grand Prix

^^ Hahaaaa. Great one.

Dangerous when a driver thinks he's bigger than the team.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:49   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Newspaper round-up on the controversial win…
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/104243.html
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 11:24   #79
Senior - BHPian

I despise the man as much as is possible, but i think this has now grown bigger than it is.
Too much importance is being attached to the pettiness of this guy. And I know that soon enough either Mark will be put in his place and asked to do a barrichello or walk(like he said," he'll get away with it"), or....nothing. Thats what will happen.

That being said, I cant wait for a situation where mark webber is asked to do some on-track driving to favor vettel again this season.
Going to be a good watch, that.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 13:04   #80
Senior - BHPian

Vettel is a kid and this was an example of him showing that.

Yes, racing is about who his faster, but when Webber has helped him when Vettel was in for the championship on many occasions, this was not expected out of him even after team decisions.
It goes on to show how selfish he is in a team .
If at the end he realized what he did was wrong, he could have always let Webber through.

On the viewership side, it is going to make an interesting season and I hope Webber's adrenaline remains high.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 14:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

Brings back old memories between m.schumi and rubinho. Team orders really did ruin the race and Webber is extremely furious as Vettel pulled a fast one on him. It was thrilling to see both of them try to beat it each other and christian horner's radio communication was also to the point. I have to agree with vettel, it is a race and everybody will aim for the first place, team mate or not. That is the reason why team orders were banned in the first place. So, Webber has nothing solid apart from a gentleman's agreement.

Mclaren did purposefully gave the message to Nico to not to overtake Hamilton. That was a bummer in my view, especially after the brilliant racing between Webber and Vettel
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 14:58   #82
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: 2013 F1 - Malaysian Grand Prix

I don't agree Vettel deserves a win here. He was able to close on Webber due to two reasons. First, Hamilton was told by the team to reduce pace to look after his fuel and second, Webber was told by his team to reduce pace and coast to victory (save engine, save transmission, save fuel and tyre). He got assured that Vettel will never overtake him. Had Webber been in power mode Vettel should have never catch up (may be by penultimate lap).

Few people were pointing about the extra 7 points he earned and a 25 points separation from Alonso. I can agree with it if and only if Red Bull declares Vetter as No.1 driver officially and Webber can never win a Championship with them. Now Webber missed that extra 7 points and 25 points seperation from Alonso. Jut imagine if Vettel has few DNFs in upcoming races and Webber in a position to win championship, then those points really matters.

Vettel should had remembered that at many occasions in the last three years Webber had sidelined for his Championships.

No point in comparing with MS - Ferrari era. Ferrari had declared him No. 1 on and off the race track officially.

I would like Webber to flick Vettels front wing and put him for a spin in next GP. Come on Webber, he deserves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Mclaren did purposefully...
You mean Mercedes, right?

Cheers!

Last edited by myavu : 26th March 2013 at 15:01.
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 15:03   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgupta View Post
Just let the drivers race and ban team orders, stripping a racing driver of his instinct is criminal. Having said that, the drivers should have the balls to admit what they did and why. Vettel made it even worse when he said he "misunderstood" the message. Two words, "maintain position" cannot be misunderstood. He clearly disobeyed the team orders because he though it was unfair and they should be allowed to race, if only both of them had that mindset. I would have been happy if Vettel said that in the interview, I wanted to race and so I did what I did. Lewis, clearly appeared troubled by his podium finish.

The only remedy to this chaos and ego clash is to ban team orders, let the drivers race, it's a man and machine sport, not a strategy sport.
Absolutely spot on. I completely agree what you said. Racing should be pure and it should be something where no matter how bad the tyres are or how low the fuel is, it is about the pure instinct of the man at the wheel to determine whether he wants to bring the car home or, bring it home in style.
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 15:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

Hahaha, call me prejudiced but I am saying that there wouldn't have been so much reaction in the press if the roles had been reversed between Hamilton and Vettel.

Lets move on the see how the rest of the season is. And no, I am supporting the Iceman this time.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 15:28   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Absolutely spot on. I completely agree what you said. Racing should be pure and it should be something where no matter how bad the tyres are or how low the fuel is, it is about the pure instinct of the man at the wheel to determine whether he wants to bring the car home or, bring it home in style.
I remember the time I used to watch F1 for the thrill of it, for the madness and competitiveness of it. I always loved the sport, I never picked a favourite team or driver. I had favourite moments, favourite characters in this sport. I no longer see that. This bunch is much more result focussed, more constrained in the way they behave on and off track, conscious all the time what they say in the press. Its just not fun anymore.

For the team orders fiasco, I blame Ferrari for it. They bought this manipulative trend into the sport asking Rubens to back off and let Schumi win. With all due respect to Schumi for his ability, I detest him for taking that move, coming first and then pushing Rubens up the podium during the presentation. He could not have insulted a team mate any more. If this is the way the sport continues, I don't think I will invest a few hours of my Sunday in the years to come in watching this PR and money centric circus that the sport has become.
dgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 15:48   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure why this is really termed as team orders, especially in the case of Redbull. Mark was following what was agreed as a team, and the agreement was for both drivers to be on snooze mode, and complete the laps maintaining position. Now this ‘winner’ decided to break away so that he gets those additional 7-8 points. Though Horner mentioned on the radio that Seb is being silly, he avoided further embarrassment by not asking Vettel to give up the position.

In case of Mercedes, it was indeed team order, but I think Brawn managed it pretty well. He gave a proper reason to Nico that Lewis is going slow because the team has asked him to do so (to save fuel). Bringing home two cars in 3rd and 4th is a big leap for Mercedes as a team, especially after the past 3 dismal seasons.

Anyway, this set an interesting season ahead. I feel (as a team) Ferrari, Lotus and Mercedes have an advantage with both drivers working well in tandem.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 16:06   #87
mgh
BHPian

Vettel was upset that RB did not give orders to Webber to let him pass, and told them to maintain positions to preserve tyres and fuel till the end. How dare they?

Unless RB management assert their authority and take some reasonably strong action internally, Webber should not be blamed for fighting Vettel tooth and nail, and for not taking 'orders' to let Vettel past.

Let us not mince words. Vettel stabbed his colleague in the back. Webber was mature enough not to retaliate during the race, as per all reports Webber was faster and had slowed down as per team orders not to risk tyres and fuel.
mgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 16:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

myavu, thanks! that is correct. Much like Hamilton entering the wrong box.

I feel sorry for Adrian Sutil, two races lost due to no fault of his.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 17:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

Talking Re: 2013 F1 - Malaysian Grand Prix

Very true. In fact they screwed their wheel nuts. The interesting part is that they are going to continue with same nut design for next GP. Time will tell how long the drivers will have to sit on the jack trolley while pitting
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 19:04   #90
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only one (on this thread) who feels what Vettel did is good for F1 and what Rosberg (& Webber) did is not good. I remember something similar happening in the past between Schumi & Barrichello in 2002; which wasn't appreciated at that time. I believe they were fined for the same.

In the end the "team-giri" is not good for the racing world; every driver is out there to race for himself. It is never good for the sport if management start dictating terms on the race track. Imagine an extended situation where two teams decide to do similar acts due to decisions taken by the management.

Note: I'm not a Vettel fan. Iceman rocks
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote