Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 2nd August 2013, 13:53   #1
BHPian

Default Mercedes reveals sound of its 2014 V6 turbo Formula 1 engine

Mercedes has unveiled the sound of its 2014 Turbo engine.

Sounds quite different from the Renault in my opinion.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109133

Quote:
While the simulation gives the closest indication so far of the V6 turbo noise, Mercedes engine chief Andy Cowell has made it clear that it will be different when the real engines are running on track.

"Doing a recording in a test cell is quite challenging because you need to extract the exhaust fumes and extract them safely from the factory that the test cell is within," he said.

"An awful lot of technology goes into making sure these fumes are extracted and filtered, which naturally takes some of the sound with it.

"Then, a test cell is a room with flat walls, which causes the noise to bounce around and reduces the purity of the sound. It's an engine dyno - not a recording studio!"

WHY THE NEW ENGINES SOUND DIFFERENT

Mercedes-Benz engine chief Andy Cowell explains why the new V6 engines sound different to the current V8s:

"On the V8, you've got two tailpipes, so there are four cylinders feeding exhaust pulses into each tailpipe, the crankshaft is rotating at 18,000 rpm and there is no restriction in the exhaust system.

"We put a lot of effort into making sure it's a free-flowing exhaust system and highly tuned because the way to extract performance from a normally aspirated engine is to have highly tuned inlet and exhaust systems.

"On the V6, we have a single exhaust tailpipe, so all six cylinders are ultimately feeding into the single exhaust pipe."

"As soon as you have any restriction in the exhaust system, you reduce the volume of the noise because the turbine wheel is designed to recover energy from the exhaust flow, which naturally reduces the volume of the noise coming out.

"But because it's six cylinders firing into a single tailpipe, instead of four into each pipe on the current engines, the frequency will be very similar to the current 18,000 rpm.

"So we will have a similar frequency but lower volume because of the energy being recovered from the exhaust stream."

Last edited by nipcarlover : 2nd August 2013 at 13:56.
nipcarlover is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 16:29   #2
BHPian

Default Mercedes reveals sound of 2014 turbo engine

The sound is uninspiring for me personally but I think that's the noise that one will hear while seated and not what us, the spectators will hear from the outside.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd August 2013 at 17:30. Reason: Removing video link
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:50   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes reveals sound of 2014 turbo engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
The sound is uninspiring for me personally but I think that's the noise that one will hear while seated and not what us, the spectators will hear from the outside.
True. This is the noise on the dyno as written in the article. It will definitely be different from what we hear. It still gives a slight idea.

One thing I don't like, is there is no turbo whistle, which is sad.
nipcarlover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 17:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes reveals sound of its 2014 V6 turbo Formula 1 engine

BAD!

Listening to this with headphones and full volume to purify my ears

SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

It sounds awkard, nothing like how an F1 engine should sound! I hope it is just a simulated sound and it actually sounds better in the car :(
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:28   #6
BHPian

Here's an interesting read for those worried about the sound of the future in F1

http://en.espnf1.com/blogs/motorsport/story/119567.html
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:42   #7
BHPian

In my opinion, I think all of us should stop whining about this. Yes, the Turbo's are not as good as the V8s, the V10s and the V12s.

But, this is the way the world is moving forward, and I don't think we can do anything about it.

I think we should be thankful that they ditched the 4-cyl idea.

Also, we also need to reserve judgement until the engines are fitted to the cars, with a proper exhaust and on track. Recordings on a engine dyno are not very accurate.

Slightly OT, but, to me, what matters equally is the power. If the engines were less powerful, I would really be angry, but as it is turning out, these engines+ERS will have even more power than the V8s, and a huge lot more torque.
nipcarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 00:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
In my opinion, I think all of us should stop whining about this. Yes, the Turbo's are not as good as the V8s, the V10s and the V12s.

But, this is the way the world is moving forward, and I don't think we can do anything about it.

I think we should be thankful that they ditched the 4-cyl idea.

Also, we also need to reserve judgement until the engines are fitted to the cars, with a proper exhaust and on track. Recordings on a engine dyno are not very accurate.

Slightly OT, but, to me, what matters equally is the power. If the engines were less powerful, I would really be angry, but as it is turning out, these engines+ERS will have even more power than the V8s, and a huge lot more torque.
To give my response,
Unfortunately true.
I think it's a safe bet 4 cylinders in 6 years time.
We should yes.

I personally don't care about the noise as much as long as they don't sound like the single seaters in those lower formula. That being said, I absolutely miss the 2004 cars. They were so bloody quick! If F1 cars could hit those lap times I wouldn't care if they came with 3 cylinders : P
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

This is also on test bed, the sounds released by Renault & Mercedes are close to what the engine would sound like in the cars. But I am still hoping its a simulated sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 23:27   #10
BHPian

Cannot really comment until we hear them on the track.

@Sunnyboi, I listen to this video 2-3 times a week and it literally is music to my ears, along with the Schumacher Song -

The V8's Shout , the V10's used to scream but the V12's used to Scream and Growl at the same time!

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 17:48   #11
BHPian

The Renault powerplant sounds more 'natural' compared to the Mercedes and somehow a lot closer to the engine note we've come to expect from F1 engines.

Perhaps, it is indeed the recording setup with the Merc engine that's causing it to sound like an electric sewing machine

Ah well, as long as the speeds, reliability levels remain the same, most of us aren't gonna complain !
MavericK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 00:35   #12
BHPian

Talking about engine notes, how about a v10 symphony by a legend. Here it is,

The number of speakers they used to recreate the soundtrack, unbelievable.
ecenandu is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013, 01:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Sounds good on braking but acceleration note is not musical like today's V8s.

Last edited by Mpower : 8th August 2013 at 07:13.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 16:34   #14
BHPian

Sounds the same to me, or is it just me?

The Mercedes sound didn't seem like it was going flat out, the shifts were in too early - More like a slowing down lap. Renault sounded pretty much like the sounds of cars today.
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

2013 V8 vs the 2014 V6.
Source : F1 Racing Magazine
Attached Images

Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote