Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 12th September 2013, 11:42   #1
BHPian

Default Raikkonen to partner Alonso at Ferrari in 2014

In a sensational yet expected move, Kimi Raikkonen will return to the Prancing Horse in 2014 to partner Fernando Alonso. This, supposedly marks the beginning of an explosive combination.

More can be read here - http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...3/9/14971.html

Do you think this is a right move for Kimi and Ferrari?
iceman7 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 11:58   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Raikkonen to partner Alonso at Ferrari in 2014

From WCC perspective it makes perfect sense for Ferrai. And devil may care attitude of KIMI makes it easy with Alonso's politics if any. But I think both are mature enough and have good respect towards each other.

But I do not think it makes sense for WDC, as they may end up snatching each other points. Lets hope it will be a cracker season.
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 12:01   #3
BHPian

This is excellent news but bad news for alonso. he won't be very happy knowing the problems he had with lewis in mclaren
Mohan Mathew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 12:06   #4
Mik
BHPian

I hope Kimi has made it clear that he won't play second fiddle to Alonso. If the team still regards Alonso as its #1 driver, then this was a pointless shift. Better rule in Lotus than serve in Ferrari.
Beside the point, Massa had to go. Kimi is currently the best driver without a top car (Hulkenberg might disagree) and full marks to Ferrari for getting him in. Two of the top 4 drivers in the world in one team. They can mount a serious challenge to the Red Bulls next year. (Tired of seeing Vettel running roughshod over the competition this year)
Mik is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 12:09   #5
BHPian

Hopefully Alonso has outgrown his Mclaren days and will be making this work for his betterment. To say, the days he controlled his words and didn't bother were the ones he drove at his best.

Kimi is going to bring the much needed boost for the team to start targeting more victories and WCC.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2013 at 13:57. Reason: Typos
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 12:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I hope Kimi has made it clear that he won't play second fiddle to Alonso. If the team still regards Alonso as its #1 driver, then this was a pointless shift. Better rule in Lotus than serve in Ferrari.
Beside the point, Massa had to go. Kimi is currently the best driver without a top car (Hulkenberg might disagree) and full marks to Ferrari for getting him in. Two of the top 4 drivers in the world in one team. They can mount a serious challenge to the Red Bulls next year. (Tired of seeing Vettel running roughshod over the competition this year)
I don't think Raikkonen will play second fiddle to Alonso. From his racing, it's clear that Kimi is too individualistic to be a second driver in any team, with any driver.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 12:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I do not think either of them will play 2nd role until they do not have mathematical possibility of WDC. Can't imagine KIMI's reaction when Rob Smedley "KIMI baby, Fernando is faster, do you copy" All hell will break lose.
arun_kun is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 12:25   #8
BHPian

Damn. Will miss Kimi @ Lotus. Their FB page was by far the most funnest
deathwalkr is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 14:03   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honestly, I'm surprised Massa was able to hold on to his seat for so long. His last race win was like 5 years back . Or perhaps, Ferrari was just waiting for the right replacement driver.

I'm truly kicked about Kimi joining Ferrari. For one, the battle between Fonso & Iceman will be epic. Even if Vettel continues to win race after race, these guys have the potential to make F1 interesting again.

Ferrari should worry about Fernando's attitude toward a strong team-mate (Lewis & McLaren memories are still fresh). Sure says a lot about Kimi's confidence in his driving skills to partner with someone like Alonso.

On a lighter note, here's a good one from Facebook
Name:  1185963_425444660901235_1681118804_n.png
Views: 9764
Size:  383.6 KB
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 14:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The combination of the Ice Cold logic of Kimi and mercurial genius should be deadly, esp. since there will be essentially a totally new package (Engine, fuel restriction, etc.)
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 14:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

I can't wait for March 16, 2014! Hopefully, next year's engine changes will enable Ferrari to be more competitive as compared to the past couple of seasons. And with these two in the drivers seats, there's going to be some spectacular stuff coming up! Make way Vettel & RBR

On a different note, I feel that Alonso has come a long way from his McL days and is a far more mature & balanced individual now. I think he & Kimi have mutual respect for each other and no sparks should fly. Alonso also has another six months to get used to the fact that the preferential treatment days may be over.........
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 14:31   #12
BHPian

This reminds me of 2004 when McLaren signed Juan Pablo Montoya to partner Kimi. All hell broke loose in the media similar to whats happening now. The partnership was billed as one of the best combinations in F1 at the time.

What followed was more or less a one sided affair in which the iceman pretty much whipped Juan Pablo. I'm not saying that JPM was anywhere as good as Alonso is and I'm a huge Kimi fan but I am really skeptical about this move. Its going to be interesting for sure and I hate to admit this but I still think Alonso will have the upper hand. I would rather have preferred Kimi to sign a one year extension with Lotus and then move to McLaren for 2015.

The McLaren version of the iceman was definitely more aggressive and had more raw pace than the post McLaren one.
Potenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 15:20   #13
BHPian

In my opinion, the Alonso-Kimi pairing will inevitably be compared with Alonso's pairing with Hamilton in 2007. But, 2007 was a different era. Alonso was fresh off the block after winning 2 back to back championships - making him the youngest world champion, nonetheless. Hamilton was the new hot kid on the block - the next best thing. Both had the super ego and the temperamental nature. Each wanted a larger share of the Mclaren pie.

Cut to 2014 - Alonso may or may not have won the 2013 WDC. Likewise for KIMI. Both have immense respect for each other and know what the other is capable of. Both will have tuned down ego's if neither of them stake claim to the 2013 crown. What is important here is how Ferrari make the best of both their capabilities while being unbiased to either.

Next question - Who fills in Kimi's shoes at Lotus?
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 16:18   #14
BHPian

Its goind to be a super combination for Ferrari. Kimi & Alonso are going to fight for the championship - though both take points from each other, Ferrari will benefit. And I am pretty sure, Alonso has matured from his McLaren days and both will have respect for each other.

Hulk deserves seat in Lotus and probably Massa can drive a Sauber??

Last edited by punto_ : 12th September 2013 at 16:20.
punto_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 17:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think this is a great move for Formula 1 and we can expect to see some great action from both these great drivers. It will be interesting to see how Ferrari operate without having a no 1 driver.

I hope next season is competitive and not one single team / driver dominates...
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote