Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 13th March 2014, 15:20   #556
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The 2014 F1 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Pretty useless without purchasing it but I also found it a bit on the expensive side for what it offers. I purchased it anyway for INR 590 just for the love of F1
There are a lot of stuff to be fixed/improved. It looks like they pushed out a half baked product just to say they've launched it before the start of the season.

I wish they would have an option of purchasing the premium pass for individual races even if at $1 or so. The problem with the current payment model is that a lot of fans don't think it worth the price after a few races when the app has stabilized and hence the only revenue they get would be those who purchase at the start of the season.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 02:21   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Can someone please explain how the above proposal would make all 10 cars actively participate in Q3?

Doesn't it mean the P10 driver is still at a disadvantage? If P11 would have an extra set of option tyres going into the race, that could prove to be a bad incentive for the P10 guy to 'destroy' his extra set of options during the Q3.
The new rules allows drivers to use a new set of options in Q3 and only in Q3. No driver can make use of those options during the race.

All drivers that make it through to Q3 will now start the races on the set of tyres they use to set their best time in Q2.

Yes it is still a disadvantage as they do start on used tyres where as further back from 11-22, drivers and the teams have the option to change tyres.

The only thing this new rule does is allow drivers to run in Q3 without worrying about tyres as they already have a lot to worry about .
bhagathgowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 08:14   #558
BHPian

The First Practice session of the season is on!
I'm so happy I've taken a picture to share with you all : )! Let's see how Vettel does o.O
Attached Images

Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 08:39   #559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
The First Practice session of the season is on!
I'm so happy I've taken a picture to share with you all : )! Let's see how Vettel does o.O
Nice TV. Isn't that a McLaren?

Edit:
All that you need to know about 2014 F1 by sniffpetrol.

2014 FORMULA 1 GUIDE

Last edited by deetjohn : 14th March 2014 at 08:44. Reason: Adding link.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 08:41   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Nice TV. Isn't that a McLaren?
Thanks!. Yes that's a McLaren....and a 47 incher : D.

It looks like RBR finally got some running in. Shame : P. Vettel claimed in the THU Press conference that the car running in Melbourne would be different than the one used in the tests o.O
Old 14th March 2014, 09:31   #561
Distinguished - BHPian

Still confused about the technical changes for 2014?

Watch this amazing 3 minutes video by RBR on all changes.

deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 09:42   #562
Senior - BHPian

The new official F1 app is a must download.. It now also provides RPM and speed data on the go!
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 10:26   #563
Distinguished - BHPian

The first FP1 was very different. I could hear a lot tyre screeching in the corner and during lock ups. The turbo whoosh is lovely. Hoping to hear more from the V6 during qualifying.

Quote:
Can someone please explain how the above proposal would make all 10 cars actively participate in Q3?

Doesn't it mean the P10 driver is still at a disadvantage? If P11 would have an extra set of option tyres going into the race, that could prove to be a bad incentive for the P10 guy to 'destroy' his extra set of options during the Q3.

The potential P9 or P10 candidate who would sit out the Q3 in the current year could do a slow timed lap nursing his tyres to ensure it would still have enough life left for the race. That is only going to make things worse with slow moving cars screwing up the timed laps of the front runners.
The P10 guy can now afford to destroy the tyre in Q3 to get further up the field. There is no penalty as he doesn't have to start the race on that tyre from Q3. Now, no one will hold back in Q3. Agree, P10 still gets an old tyre compared to P11 on new ones. But there is advantage of track position and most probably a start on the racing line for P10.

The fast cars can put a relatively easy lap on Q2 (to save tyre) and use that tyre (from Q2) for the race start. They can then go absolutely flat out in Q3 and gain further track position not killing their tyres for the race.

And will an extra set of tyres be useful during the race? Not always. It depends on how much fuel there is left in the car and whether the driver will be able to push if given new tyres. The fuel flow restriction adds to the puzzle. We are entering strategic nightmare or the world of opportunities.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 10:48   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But there is advantage of track position and most probably a start on the racing line for P10.
Actually, P11 gets the cleaner side of the track (racing line) while P10 gets the dirty side since P11 is on the Pole sitter's line while P10 slots behind P2.

I do agree that the fuel limitations would cause difficulties in going flat out and having an extra set of soft or super soft won't be so crucial in race strategy. However, for races with Medium and Hard as tyre choices, it could help teams run the last stint on medium while front runners might have to do that stint on hard compound.
Old 14th March 2014, 11:12   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, P11 gets the cleaner side of the track (racing line) while P10 gets the dirty side since P11 is on the Pole sitter's line while P10 slots behind P2.
Yeah, stupid me! I am sure a lot of drivers will prefer P11 to P10 but it is very difficult to land exactly in P11. If you target for P11, you will most probably get bumped down the field during Q2.

Quote:
I do agree that the fuel limitations would cause difficulties in going flat out and having an extra set of soft or super soft won't be so crucial in race strategy. However, for races with Medium and Hard as tyre choices, it could help teams run the last stint on medium while front runners might have to do that stint on hard compound.
For a 2 stopper, why cant one get the Hard out during the middle stint? Amd at times, the Hard tyre is actually faster than Medium in race trim. So, it really depends!
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 12:48   #566
Senior - BHPian

The last lap of Vettel from his on-board camera in FP2 shows how different the new engines sound and feel , according to the LED rev counter on his steering.

Listening to the engine note, I thought he was cruising back to the pits. He was actually doing a lap and the engine sounds lazy compared to the V8's. There is no screaming from the exhaust when hitting the top revs, its only a slight increase in bass when the rev's increase.. But, the speeds seems to be the same.
No wonder Mallya said he wants the noise back. Everything seems muffled.
But I love the turbo whoosh and lift offs.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 13:00   #567
BHPian

As FP2 ends my observations:

-Mercedes definitely are the quickest this year & the ones to beat.
-Williams, unless sand bagging, not as quick as in the pre-season tests indicated.
-Red Bull not as slow as initially thought( :'( ). This 'Spec B' car seems to be quick.
-Force India seem to be pretty much where they were last year in ranking order so far.

While the two FP sessions have thrown new light onto the pecking order but I think we must wait till at least Malaysian GP to find true pace of the teams.
Old 14th March 2014, 13:03   #568
Senior - BHPian

Here is the Australian GP thread, in case someone has missed.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-m...ce-thread.html (2014 Australian GP : Race Thread)

Quote:
For a 2 stopper, why cant one get the Hard out during the middle stint? Amd at times, the Hard tyre is actually faster than Medium in race trim. So, it really depends!
Prime compound appeared faster than the option during the races last season because the drivers had to nurse the option tyres to reach the next window of pit stops before the tyres fall off the cliff. Most front runners would have used all the sets of option tyres during the qualifying and would head into the race with these used sets. So the option compounds they had were already 3-4 laps old when fitted during the race which limited them from pushing these tyres to the max during the race.

Question is between MHM and MHH on a 2-stopper. Based on last season, MHM was pretty tight to achieve in some tracks if both sets of medium were used ones.

With Pirelli confirming that this year's compounds would last longer, it'll be interesting to see how this evolves and how easy each car is towards fuel and tyres.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 13:25   #569
BHPian

Quote:
With Pirelli confirming that this year's compounds would last longer, it'll be interesting to see how this evolves and how easy each car is towards fuel and tyres.
Do you think we will still see unwanted deg due to the turbo torque?
I imagine they would be torturous to the tyres wouldn't they : 0 ?
Old 14th March 2014, 13:59   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Do you think we will still see unwanted deg due to the turbo torque?
I imagine they would be torturous to the tyres wouldn't they : 0 ?
Unlikely at least in the first half of the season. With the gear ratios fixed for the season, they wouldn't tune the turbo to be too heavy. Once they get a grip on the engine and gearbox reliability levels, they might start exploring the limits of the tyre but I doubt if they would push the limits early on with too many unknown variables that could fail due to heavy load from the turbo. At least, that's what I feel. You never know with these guys