Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 14th March 2014, 20:41   #571
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The 2014 F1 Season

Need some help on the official F1 app - how do I access live text commentary during a session?

Thanks in advance
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 11:20   #572
BHPian

Vettel's reaction to the signing of Ricciardo.
Attached Images

nipcarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 15:21   #573
BHPian

OH! such sweet Qualifying. More interesting was this Qualifying session than the entirety of 2013.

I never thought I'd cheer to see a RB on the front row, In the last moments of Q3 I was actually cheering for Ric to get pole on his home GP over my chosen HAM and RAI, who seems to have serious issues with his Ferrari!, I would still like to see HAM win the first round though.
To see Vettel slam his fist after Q2 knockout was just the cherry on top ^ _ ^.

*licks Vets tears*
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 20:35   #574
BHPian

Interesting qualifying. More or less to expectations but for Red Bull surprise turn around in terms of performance. Vettel not being up there was expected but his australian team mate truned up the heat and in style. I think Vettel is going to start thinking got rid of an australian and here i have another australian to worry about.

I think we will see Alonso on the podium with Hamilton. I wont be surprised if we see Massa in the top as well.

As they say = Let the Games Begin!

Let the Best Man Win the 2014 Championship!
shashi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 21:05   #575
Senior - BHPian

Kvyat would face a huge task of keeping some really frustrated drivers behind him right from the start of his first race - Massa, Button, Raikkonen and Vettel are right behind him.

If the Toro Rossos cannot match the race pace of the cars ahead in the initial laps, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I expect the Mercedes to pull ahead of the rest but Ricciardo and Alonso could also benefit if the Toro Rossos are slightly slower.

Last edited by zenren : 15th March 2014 at 21:06.
Old 16th March 2014, 19:46   #576
BHPian

We now know the pecking order. The Williams car is going to be a handful for some people and i think Ferrari would be worried with the kind of pace shown by Mclaren and Williams. Red Bull should be worried as well. Ricardo has shown that he is competitive and this may not be what Red Bull wants when Seb is their No.1 driver. So probably they will wait to iron out problems with Seb's car before telling Ricardo where he stands but if they take time to fix Seb's car and Ricardo has chalked up some points by then its going to be difficult to change ship half way.

Another thing i see happening is Kimi sorting out his problems and showing his true potential. Ferrari maynot have the fastest package but it looks like they alongwith Mclaren have a reliable car.

It's going to be an interesting season for sure.

Congratulations for a superb drive by Nico!
shashi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 21:47   #577
Senior - BHPian

Nico and Lewis will be mighty pleased. A second faster than the rest means regardless of strategy/tire wear they will come out on top... all they need to do is finish.
We have an all out team mae battle for the WDC.

Red Bull produced the surprise of the season.. great pace after dreadful testing sessions.

Hope Ferrari improve. They are behind Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren and Williams.
Going to be a tough season for sure.

Great to see the rookies shine.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 12:54   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
We now know the pecking order
Not completely though. We still don't know the fuel consumption angle due to additional warm up lap and the safety car period. Someone who would have to struggle with the 100 ltrs limit would have got lucky yesterday.

However, given the reliability issues across the grid, it could be safe to assume safety car periods at least during the initial few races.
Old 17th March 2014, 22:02   #579
BHPian

The inaugural season opener Australian GP has never disappointed, was the same this year as well.
The new regulations for body design, V6 engine really has notched up the competitive quotient in F1 races.
Big wigs with likes of Vettel, Button & Alonso being given a run for their money from mid field teams & as well as from their new partners.
Magnussen, Ricciardo, Bottas, Hulkenberg leading the pack , it seemed like the scene switched on from F1 to GP2 .
Hope the season ahead goes on to be more competitive & doesn't disappoint.
rakeshnair14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 09:14   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

F1 2013 vs 2014 sound comparison - Melbourne

We will get used it the new one for sure, but we are going to miss the old quite badly. That V8 still sends a tickle down my back.

deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 10:50   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
F1 2013 vs 2014 sound comparison - Melbourne

We will get used it the new one for sure, but we are going to miss the old quite badly. That V8 still sends a tickle down my back.

While the older V8 did sound much better than the current blasphemous "F1 engine" I still miss the old high pitched scream of the V10s. Those were insane.

For the past few months I was among the people who were dismissing criticisms against the V6 Turbo noise prior to hearing them live on TV on Sunday, stating that you'll get used to it etc. etc.....I eat my foot.

The lack of noise did indeed effect my experience >.<. The V6 turbo in Indy car sounds better than this monstrosity!!
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 11:16   #582
Senior - BHPian

While the sound is a let down, have to commend the teams on the incredible technology on display. The PU this year is the pinnacle of motorsport, second to none.

I'm sure we will see it develop further in terms of driveability and use of the 12k-15k RPM band will be more frequently used, also resulting in louder engine noise.

Any engine will sound bad at 9-10k RPM, effectively half of last year.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 12:13   #583
BHPian

IMO the new sound is a big big let down. This is not what it should be.
An F1 engine's scream was the cardinal differentiating factor from other motorsports.

I found myself telling my friend to shoot up the volume umpteen times during the race. Still it did not give the feel of the previous V8's :(

Its OK that the new cars are technologically advanced, they have this and that and what not; but where is the hair-raising scream which F1 fans die for.

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 08:35   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Many fans, especially the ones which were track side at Australia were impressed by the sound from the new power units. Maybe the fix is to increase the noise from the cars in the FOM feed to get that cacophony of sounds to the TV viewers. Because altering the cars now could be very costly and tricky as it affects both fuel efficiency and power output.

A great article by Keith Collantine on why F1 should take time to see how the publicís attitude to the engines develops F1 should not act in haste over engine noise

And here is why Mark Hughes is a fan of how the new 1.6 turbo power units sound and why it sounds so.
Quote:
Yet close-up, it was a fascinating multi-faceted noise. From trackside in a braking area you'd hear the whistle and whine of turbo and cam gears, the rumble of resistance as torque was taken from the rear axle and fed to the battery, you'd hear part-throttle hesitancy and then a beautifully cultured V6 howl. It was the low volume that made it possible to distinguish the various phases, just as you'd also hear the occasional squeal and chirrup of tyre - or what they were saying on the PA, or the question the person sitting next to you was asking.

As they flashed by at enormous speed on the straight - visibly quicker than the V8 cars ever did - the mixture of mechanical, turbo and electrical sounded pure space age, actually very like the pod race soundtrack in the Star Wars Phantom Menace film.

The lower volume also somehow enhanced the Doppler effect as they came past you because no longer are they simply very loud all the time; now they feel as if they are exploding out of a vacuum into your dimension and out again. As the drivers then stand on the brakes and the rear end begins to twitch and float menacingly, they really do look as if they are wrestling with wickedly potent and wayward machines. This is somehow made more menacing by the lack of volume.

Also, a great column by Martin Brundle as usual Martin Brundle gives his take on the sight and sound of the 2014-generation cars
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 09:46   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
While the sound is a let down, have to commend the teams on the incredible technology on display. The PU this year is the pinnacle of motorsport, second to none.
Yea on that. Could someone clarify for me please.
They no longer refer to it as Engine but a Power Unit. The freeze is on the engine as stated by the FIA. Does this mean that teams may continue developing other parts of the "PU" throughout the year? The hybrid parts etc.

Fine lines...
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote