Default Re: The 2014 F1 Season

Here is another well crafted article for April 1:

The 2014 F1 Season-lnz6h67.png

Source: http://i.imgur.com/lnz6h67.png
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:33   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

JA on F1 says April will be a key month on regulation changes. Raising noise, shortening race distances, and abandoning the controversial fuel flow meters are all mooted when Todt meets both Luca and Ron.

A big month ahead, behind the scenes in F1
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:12   #603
Senior - BHPian

Back to the real world and a nice piece on increasing engine sound :

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4...ation_changes/

Only way to do it they say is to reduce fuel efficiency so they can run at 15k revs, as against the 12k currently.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:20   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Back to the real world and a nice piece on increasing engine sound :

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4...ation_changes/

Only way to do it they say is to reduce fuel efficiency so they can run at 15k revs, as against the 12k currently.
I was about to link this very story.

:'(((
Well....That's it then. Maybe at the meeting they may rid the fuel sensor issue and up the revs but then that would defeat the purpose of going to V6s to a certain extent wouldn't it. He also rules out funny exhausts as an option. I'm not that technical but I guess he knows what he's talking about so no trickery there either.

Sad.
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 22:36   #605
Senior - BHPian

They finally get to the bottom of it. The fuel sensors were giving trouble on the Renault powered cars because they were tinkering with the position of the sensor in the fuel tank.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi..._modification/
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 23:22   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

F1 bosses agree to look into ways to increase engine noise

Quote:
A working group is to be set up by the FIA to look into the matter, with a view of making sure that the turbo noise can increase as soon as possible.

It is hoped that tests for the revised engines can take place as early as the post-Spanish Grand Prix test in May.

And no changes to the fuel economy regulations.
And plans for a cost cap in 2015 have been abandoned, FIA president Jean Todt has revealed
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 21:16   #607
BHPian

Yes..
There was an article where a Renault guy mentioned that it's not possible to make the sound louder because of the way the exhausts are routed and the turbo wheel placement.

So now I wonder how they will make it sound different? Anyone have any ideas?
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 08:22   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
So now I wonder how they will make it sound different? Anyone have any ideas?
I don't know. Providing more fuel to burn will be the easiest and fairest solution to all teams. That ways, they will be able to run closer to the 15K limit and the car will be louder. But don't think that will happen.

Ferrari and Renault will cherish this opportunity and Merc will oppose understandably. Ferrari has really gone backwards this year. The Power Unit is not a patch on that excellent Merc unit. So, any work on the Power Unit will be more than welcome at Italy and France.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 09:05   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I don't know. Providing more fuel to burn will be the easiest and fairest solution to all teams. That ways, they will be able to run closer to the 15K limit and the car will be louder. But don't think that will happen.

Ferrari and Renault will cherish this opportunity and Merc will oppose understandably. Ferrari has really gone backwards this year. The Power Unit is not a patch on that excellent Merc unit. So, any work on the Power Unit will be more than welcome at Italy and France.
Spot on. The disguise of increasing the noise levels for the fans is the only way Ferrari can do some improvements on the engine during the season and catch up with the pack behind Mercedes. I guess that's what they are trying to achieve with all this gimick.

Luca's comments regarding F1 drivers becoming taxi drivers seems totally true in case of his cars but not for others.
Old 8th April 2014, 10:16   #610
BHPian

I visited f1.com after quite some time and just when I was expecting to hear the V8 engine's sound on the start(splash) screen I wasn't aware that even it is now replaced with the new V6's sound and got quite disappointed..

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 10:20   #611
Senior - BHPian

No team orders for Hamilton & Rosberg say Mercedes

Quote:
Wolff said: "Not risking the other car and still delivering a mega-show; it doesn't get any better advertising for F1, in a moment when lots of people were talking F1 down.

"You need the drivers to know that it is important not to risk the image of such a brand. We are representing a big brand and they need to know what to do, and they did it in a fantastic and spectacular way."
Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26916640

Sunday's race was one of the most interesting races in recent times but the comments from Mercedes seems to slowly take away the good feeling I got after the race.

I think they are going a little overboard and their intentions seem to be as crooked as that of the Ferrari boss. They have a huge advantage over the rest of the field and they are currently determined to keep that advantage at any cost. Putting up a good show for the audience even at the expense of a crash between the drivers is the need of the hour for Mercedes to protect the F1 fan base and ensure no changes to the current regulations would happen this season.

If they have this lead, losing both cars in 2-3 races wouldn't matter to them at all since they'll secure the championship by mid season if we go at the current rate. Even if both cars retire in 2-3 races, the effect is that they will be champions only after that many number of races. They are not putting anything at stake by letting the drivers fight it out on the track.

The million dollar question is whether Mercedes would have done the same if they had a couple of closely matched teams alongside them. That's when the prospect of losing both cars in a race would prove to be too costly. History certainly indicates otherwise - remember Malaysia 2013 when both RBR and Merc issued team orders, because they were fighting closely Ferrari and Lotus back then and couldn't risk a double retirement.

Niki Lauda is a good driver but he is an even better businessman and some of these decisions are clearly coming from his brain.

Its the Force India that really deserves credit in that respect - they have a lot at stake with a double retirement and they still let their drivers fight it out on the track. I would have added Williams too if they hadn't asked Bottas to hold station after Massa refused to let him by. They didn't say anything this time because of the fear of losing all their fan support.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 10:53   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
No team orders for Hamilton & Rosberg say Mercedes

Source: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/26916640

Sunday's race was one of the most interesting races in recent times but the comments from Mercedes seems to slowly take away the good feeling I got after the race.

I think they are going a little overboard and their intentions seem to be as crooked as that of the Ferrari boss. They have a huge advantage over the rest of the field and they are currently determined to keep that advantage at any cost. Putting up a good show for the audience even at the expense of a crash between the drivers is the need of the hour for Mercedes to protect the F1 fan base and ensure no changes to the current regulations would happen this season.

If they have this lead, losing both cars in 2-3 races wouldn't matter to them at all since they'll secure the championship by mid season if we go at the current rate. Even if both cars retire in 2-3 races, the effect is that they will be champions only after that many number of races. They are not putting anything at stake by letting the drivers fight it out on the track.

So according to you there should be changes in rules to make it competitive. Thats a very easy way of penalizing Merc for doing a job better than others. So next time they should not have any regulations at the start of the season build your cars and we will change rules mid way to make it competitive!

The engineers who have worked hard at the Merc factory should be asked not to do a good job so that others can compete.
tazmaan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 16:00   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
So according to you there should be changes in rules to make it competitive. Thats a very easy way of penalizing Merc for doing a job better than others. So next time they should not have any regulations at the start of the season build your cars and we will change rules mid way to make it competitive!

The engineers who have worked hard at the Merc factory should be asked not to do a good job so that others can compete.
I'm not saying that they should come up with a new set of rules. We've had enough already! With the kind of changes that happened on the engine front, they should not have insisted on this stupid homologation and engine freeze and ban on in-season testing. We just have 3 engine manufacturers in the sport currently who are all willing to spend millions for R&D. Don't tell me we have a ban on engine development and testing during the season to keep the costs down. All these players and even newer players like Honda are willing to spend enough into R&D to keep engines up to date for the glory of being the champions.

Why prevent the engine manufacturers from developing the engines even if they are willing? Teams like Sauber, Williams etc are all customer teams and FIA can clearly cap the cost of an engine if they are worried about the cost to customer teams.

If the teams are allowed to develop in season, Mercedes would still have the advantage of getting it right from day 1 and could build up a lead with the first few races of the season. However, other teams could still catch up or excel later in the season and take it away from the Mercs. Allowing in-season testing is the only way to prevent the contests from being one-sided which is never good for the sport.

The second half of 2014 is going to be all about preparing for 2015. Bigger teams would have given up on championship and would be focusing all their resources into next year's car. Same thing would happen next year too. Probably, Red Bull would get it right and out perform Mercedes and then all other teams would give up on 2015 and focus on 2016. It would always be a matter of preparing for next year. That'll never be attractive racing.

BTW, we should not forget that the race was pretty much like any other race till Maldonado crashed into Gutierrez. Without that incident, it would have been just another race. If history books on F1 a few years later label Maldonado's move as the "mistake that saved F1", I think we should actually reward him for that move instead of giving him a penalty. How about a pole position for the next race?

With all the reasoning on switching to V6 as being road car relevant, why can't they let these guys develop and test in-season? I think Mercedes and Renault have an unfair edge over Ferrari when it comes to these low capacity V6 engines since they are already dealing with similar engines in their road cars while Ferrari doesn't have any such a road car. Even Honda would be very happy with a 1.6L engine since that is what their road cars use. With such a potential to tap, why restrict the development and testing to just a few months, especially when they are okay with aero improvements?

OT, if Ferrari starts selling road cars with 1600cc engines, I would like to explore an engine swap option for my Swift

Last edited by zenren : 8th April 2014 at 16:10.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 16:10   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm not saying that they should come up with a new set of rules. We've had enough already! With the kind of changes that happened on the engine front, they should not have insisted on this stupid homologation and engine freeze and ban on in-season testing. We just have 3 engine manufacturers in the sport currently who are all willing to spend millions for R&D. Don't tell me we have a ban on engine development and testing during the season to keep the costs down. All these players and even newer players like Honda are willing to spend enough into R&D to keep engines up to date for the glory of being the champions.

Why prevent the engine manufacturers from developing the engines even if they are willing? Teams like Sauber, Williams etc are all customer teams and FIA can clearly cap the cost of an engine if they are worried about the cost to customer teams.

If the teams are allowed to develop in season, Mercedes would still have the advantage of getting it right from day 1 and could build up a lead with the first few races of the season. However, other teams could still catch up or excel later in the season and take it away from the Mercs. Allowing in-season testing is the only way to prevent the contests from being one-sided which is never good for the sport.

D
I agree with you in terms of whats good for sports and whats not. But these engines were tested extensively before start of season and F1 bosses should know what they noticed now regarding engine noise etc. We cannot have change of rules midway and rob the chances of championship from a team who prepared all season to make it competitive.

If we keep having rule changes midseason, F1 will sound more like gully cricket where we adjust team players and rules to make it competitive.

I for one am against any rule changes let the other teams play catch up they have engineers and money to catch up why serve it to them.
tazmaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 16:18   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I for one am against any rule changes let the other teams play catch up they have engineers and money to catch up why serve it to them.
Currently, the regulations don't allow teams with engineers and money to catch up on the engine front during the season.

You want to gain 3 seconds a lap with aero improvements? No problem.
You want to gain 1 second a lap with engine improvements? Sorry. Its against the rules.

When I say rule changes, I'm not asking for 'edit'. I'm hoping for deleting of some unnecessary ones.

Last edited by zenren : 8th April 2014 at 16:19.