Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Old 17th April 2014, 08:25   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The 2014 F1 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
If this guy actually thinks you can build an F1 team from USA, and that too, from North Carolina, and be race winning - you are either deluded or you are extremely naive.
I was surprised to hear that the team will be based out of USA. That is really brave on them. Europe is ideal place for a F1 team. It is much easier to source people, parts and for logistics for races and the limited tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
This season might be written off already but if Bahrain repeats in Italy, all those Ferrari fans are not going to keep quiet.
Where is that the F14 T is weakest? Well! That'll be circuits with long straights and good top speed and tight corners which requires good traction. And what is the highlight feature of Monza? Oh dear!

It wouldn't be too different at Shanghai either.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 10:09   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I was surprised to hear that the team will be based out of USA. That is really brave on them. Europe is ideal place for a F1 team. It is much easier to source people, parts and for logistics for races and the limited tests.
Haas seems like a typical American who thinks the world revolves around US! F1 season is designed to give advantage to teams based out of Europe. Initial fly-away races before entering Europe give the teams time to work on major upgrades by the time F1 reaches Europe. The chain of races in Europe help them fine tune these upgrades even during race weekends and reach the best stage possible. By the time F1 leaves Europe, season is almost over and the factories would start focusing on next year.

Time to get parts from the American continent would put Haas at a serious disadvantage in being competitive for majority of the season.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 10:15   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

It is as brave as it is stupid. He does not have an infinitely deep pocket. He is trying to mimic an industry and culture - this is a bit like how instead of using a well tested OS to play a game you attempt to make your own OS and play the game on your own OS.

He's literally got double the work to do, which also means double the $$. People have tried to recreate Silicon Valleys and NASA's elsewhere, it has not worked. If there is anything that the UK is still renowned for in the world today it is its talent in the automobile industry/design, and specifically motorsport industry.

I really doubt his level of seriousness, if you really wanted to be in the points ASAP you would respect the laws of the game, given that you respected your wallet.

Oh well let him do what desires to. But - perhaps like the case of the US and its pesudo colonies he won't understand he's doing it wrong until he's had a massive hole in the wallet, by which time it's probably far too late because they will have started contemplating on an exit strategy.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 17th April 2014 at 10:19.
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2014, 13:07   #664
BHPian

F1 looking into launching Masters Series.

What's everyones opinion on this.?
I don't know how different cars from different generations would be able to legitimately compete so I assume this will be a purely 'for show' kind of race at heart. I for one would love to see it!
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 17:49   #665
Senior - BHPian

Pastor Maldonado says FIA penalties will spoil Formula 1 racing.

If that's what he thinks, it is indeed a good sign and probably the best rule change that happened this year. I hope he has learnt how to crash without involving others like he did during FP2.

Quote:
Pastor Maldonado fears that Formula 1 drivers could get too scared to battle hard wheel-to-wheel if the FIA continues to hand out penalties for racing incidents.

The Venezuelan faces a five-place grid drop at this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix for having tipped Esteban Gutierrez into a roll in Bahrain a fortnight ago.

But after putting the Sakhir incident down to a simple misunderstanding, Maldonado thinks there is a danger of FIA punishments acting as a deterrent to hard battles.

"The rules are the same for everyone, so you need to avoid incidents," he said. "But at the same time [the threat of penalties means] you cannot race, you need to only stay on track and wait for problems.

"If you attack and your manoeuvre is not that clear, or the guy is defending the place and you have a gamble, and you are fighting, you can be penalised.

"So they [the FIA] need to be slightly more flexible.

"We are racing drivers and we are always taking risks. If you are competitors and you can overtake, you need to take risks - but at the same point the rules are going against the spectaculars.

"Ten years ago everyone was fighting and touching each other, because there were no penalties. Now we need to adapt ourselves."

CRASH WAS 'SOFT'

Maldonado said he had spoken to Gutierrez after the crash to go through what happened.

And he thinks that perhaps too much was made of the incident because of the freak circumstances that resulted in the roll.

The Lotus driver argued that Jules Bianchi's clash with Adrian Sutil, which was dealt with via an in-race penalty alone, was comparable.

"It was a soft crash," he said. "In my opinion it was a normal race contact - but because of the low nose as soon as I touched his sidepod he took off immediately.

"So it was a bit shocking from that point of view, and I didn't expect him to fly like that. But that is what we have.

"I think the penalty was related to the magnitude of what we saw, but not because of the contact.

"In my opinion, it was exactly the same as [Jules] Bianchi. It was normal race contact."
Source: autosport.com
Old 19th April 2014, 13:02   #666
Senior - BHPian

Among all the talk to see if Alonso could be beaten by his team mate, people have forgotten the real battle between Dan & Seb!
Sebastian made to look average so far. Certainly a far step down from WDC.

Dry weekends should help bridge the gap, but Seb no longer the WunderKid.

The one at Mercedes - Lewis always had the edge I feel.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 13:25   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Among all the talk to see if Alonso could be beaten by his team mate, people have forgotten the real battle between Dan & Seb!
Sebastian made to look average so far. Certainly a far step down from WDC.
True. I didn't expect myself to be cheering for RBR this season but it is going to be for car #3 along with 7 and 27. RIC has been driving that Redbull to its limits and probably beyond that.

Last edited by zenren : 19th April 2014 at 13:26.
Old 19th April 2014, 22:30   #668
BHPian

Brilliant behind the scenes insight on Ferrari's build up to the 2014 Season.

behind the scenes look at the advance technologies applied to the Shell fuel, lubricants, alloy materials and composite recipes used to produce a grand prix winning car.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 09:00   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
behind the scenes look at the advance technologies applied to the Shell fuel, lubricants, alloy materials and composite recipes used to produce a grand prix winning car.
Ferrari this season and a grand prix winning car? Really?
Old 20th April 2014, 09:03   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Ferrari this season and a grand prix winning car? Really?
Thats why it mentioned as build up. Well they didn't know it would falter pretty bad right ? Anyways season is still young, lets see.

Anyways,
Another interesting understanding on how the Mercedes has gained efficiency advantage by mounting the compressor further away,

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4...age_explained/

Last edited by redrage : 20th April 2014 at 09:10.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 20:26   #671
Senior - BHPian

Post China, we should finally end the debate on how/why Alonso is better than Vettel and Kimi. Both need a perfect car to be quick, Alonso doesn't!

Should be a nice battle for P3-P6 between Ferrari and Red Bull going forward. Great to see the gap to Mercedes reduce as well.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2014, 23:46   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Post China, we should finally end the debate on how/why Alonso is better than Vettel and Kimi. Both need a perfect car to be quick, Alonso doesn't!

Should be a nice battle for P3-P6 between Ferrari and Red Bull going forward. Great to see the gap to Mercedes reduce as well.
OH! Hatari How much I am enjoying watching Vettel struggle in a less than perfect car compared to his team mate Ricciardo. I do hope this shows what kind of a driver he is and how lucky he is to have his 4 Titles in the same field as a Hamilton and Alonso.

I still find the Ranking for races to be ALO-HAM-HUL.

Can't comment on China Race as I missed the live race broadcast as I'm away for friends wedding and had to stick to live tweets to get an Idea of what was happening.
Maky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 10:18   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Can't comment on China Race as I missed the live race broadcast as I'm away for friends wedding and had to stick to live tweets to get an Idea of what was happening.
I was exactly in a similar situation, you could catch the action live via starsports app. It is 500INR for the entire season. A bit high on the data usage though, nearly one GB for the race.
ecenandu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 10:34   #674
BHPian

Quote:

I wouldnt quite completely agree. Alonso adapts to different situations faster. Vettel and Raikonnen need more time. That could mean a short term advantage to him. But once the other two get used to things, I doubt he would have so much of a advantage over them.For that matter I believe, Hamilton adapts even faster than Alonso.
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 11:12   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
OH! Hatari How much I am enjoying watching Vettel struggle in a less than perfect car compared to his team mate Ricciardo. I do hope this shows what kind of a driver he is and how lucky he is to have his 4 Titles in the same field as a Hamilton and Alonso.
Absolutely, I am now tempted to put him into the 1 WDC category of Button.
It would have been understandable if he had joined a new team which Ric was already in and then to be behind. But in his own team.. quite shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
A bit high on the data usage though, nearly one GB for the race.
You sure? Mine was about 30Mb for the entire race.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote